Thread: E-5, ORF vs. DNG

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Question E-5, ORF vs. DNG

Hi folks,

I'm shooting the E-5 now. I shoot 99% raw, so I guess I'm missing out on the best jpeg engine on the market. Raw being my format of choice, is there any reason to keep my files as ORF when I import to Lr, or can I convert them to DNG when importing and not lose any fidelity?

I use Lr almost exclusively, although I own and keep up-to-date my Capture One software. I have no intention of loading Olympus' software.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: E-5, ORF vs. DNG

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm shooting the E-5 now. I shoot 99% raw, so I guess I'm missing out on the best jpeg engine on the market. Raw being my format of choice, is there any reason to keep my files as ORF when I import to Lr, or can I convert them to DNG when importing and not lose any fidelity?

I use Lr almost exclusively, although I own and keep up-to-date my Capture One software. I have no intention of loading Olympus' software.
    If you shoot RAW + large jpegs you can have the best of both worlds.

My Lightroom workflow is to import the RAW+jpeg files into a folder using operating system procedures then import into Lightroom from that folder. I never import directly from the memory card into Lightroom. That way I am sure that I always have the original ORF files backed up in a couple of places.

Dale
    =======================================

I strive for perfection but settle for excellence.
    Ansel Adams

http://crookedbeak.smugmug.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well, I am in the DNG camp. I do not shoot RAW+JPEG. Since other members of the myh family use different cameras, each shooting RAW, I just find it easier to convert them to DNG when I import them in LR. A real solid reason for using DNG is that there is no extra sidecare file with RAW porcessing (imp). That leaves an extra file to keep up with. If I want a JPEG I export it from LR. I liked this so much, that I went back and converted all my old ORF files to DNG.

Also, my wife uses Aperture, so when I give her a DNG from an E5, she can use it.
    Phil

E5 with 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f2, EX25 & TC14, FL50R & FL36R

OM-D E-M5 with 7-14 f4, 14-35 f2.8, 35-100 f2.8, 25 f1.4, 45 f1.8, Oly 75-300, FL300R

EPM-1 with VF-2, 14-42II

Wife carries the XZ-1 with VF-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Batch convert ORF to DNG

Quote Originally Posted by pclewis View Post
    Well, I am in the DNG camp. I do not shoot RAW+JPEG. Since other members of the myh family use different cameras, each shooting RAW, I just find it easier to convert them to DNG when I import them in LR. A real solid reason for using DNG is that there is no extra sidecare file with RAW porcessing (imp). That leaves an extra file to keep up with. If I want a JPEG I export it from LR. I liked this so much, that I went back and converted all my old ORF files to DNG.

Also, my wife uses Aperture, so when I give her a DNG from an E5, she can use it.
    I'd say let your wife get her own E-5, then you won't have to share your files.

Let me pick your brain...

Do you know if Lr allows the photographer to convert all ORFs in the catalogue to DNGs in one fell swoop, such as overnight? What happens to the ORFs? Do they remain in place, are they moved, or are they deleted from the disk upon conversion? If they remain on the disk, are they still in the catalogue? Or is all of that configurable?

I know I can figure it out, but I thought I'd ask the expert first.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ravenintherain View Post
    If you shoot RAW + large jpegs you can have the best of both worlds.

My Lightroom workflow is to import the RAW+jpeg files into a folder using operating system procedures then import into Lightroom from that folder. I never import directly from the memory card into Lightroom. That way I am sure that I always have the original ORF files backed up in a couple of places.

Dale
    You can do the exact same thing using Lightroom's Import facility, Dale. Set Lightroom to "copy as DNG", with the preferences set to "treat JPEG files in the same place as separate images" and check the "Make a second copy to ..." option in the import to another location. You'll end up with the .DNG and .JPG in the Lightroom catalog, and a backup copy of the original .ORF and .JPG in the backup repository. (Side benefit is that if you use a renaming schema during the import, all including the original .ORF file will be renamed identically.)

I don't both with JPEG + raw, however. On the rare occasions when I might want the in-camera JPEG engine to apply Olympus processing, I just select the raw file I want to operate on and tell the E-5 to render a JPEG. Most of the time, I prefer Lightroom's facilities for rendering my images.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    Hi folks,

All my image processing goes through Lightroom nowadays, and I capture almost exclusively in raw format. I 'copy as DNG' on the way into Lightroom, and make a backup copy of the .ORF files that go into a separate raw archive repository for security purposes.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    All my image processing goes through Lightroom nowadays, and I capture almost exclusively in raw format. I 'copy as DNG' on the way into Lightroom, and make a backup copy of the .ORF files that go into a separate raw archive repository for security purposes.
    That's pretty much how I do it. Logic tells me I don't NEED to keep the ORFs, but the DBA in me gets all squirrelly when I think about tossing out perfectly good data, and my dngs are also well backed up.
    Glen Barrington
    Cheese Whiz

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I too use Lightroom and convert my images on-the-fly to DNG images when I transfer them directly to a network connected server. Once I have them transferred, I copy them to two additional network connected storage devices as backup.

The catalog system of Lightroom works great for me.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I import files using Bridge, and convert the ORFs to DNG. I do shoot RAW+JPEG, though I really only use the RAWs. However, there are occasions when I'm having trouble getting the look I want out of the RAW file, and I will take a look at the JPEG for reference. Curiously, if I open the DNG file and an ooc JPEG in ACR, the JPEG is a little lighter. Same thing with ORFs and JPEGs. Don't have a clue why is.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    You can do the exact same thing using Lightroom's Import facility, Dale. Set Lightroom to "copy as DNG", with the preferences set to "treat JPEG files in the same place as separate images" and check the "Make a second copy to ..." option in the import to another location.
    The point is that I don't want Lightroom to do my importing.

Dale

Ansel Adams

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by olddigiman View Post
    I import files using Bridge, and convert the ORFs to DNG. I do shoot RAW+JPEG, though I really only use the RAWs. However, there are occasions when I'm having trouble getting the look I want out of the RAW file, and I will take a look at the JPEG for reference. Curiously, if I open the DNG file and an ooc JPEG in ACR, the JPEG is a little lighter. Same thing with ORFs and JPEGs. Don't have a clue why is.
    The art filters in E-5 and E-30 make it fun to have the jpegs, sometimes.

Dale

Ansel Adams

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ravenintherain View Post
    The point is that I don't want Lightroom to do my importing.
    That's fine, but it leads to the question "why?"

I have used Lightroom to manage the import process for many tens of thousands of image files. It combines about eight rote operations that have to be performed over and over again into one consistently completed task and has never made an error, which is far better than I can say about myself doing those eight tasks repeatedly for a few thousand files. For me, it's proven to be a major time savings and a more consistent way to get the job done.

I'm just curious. People do what they like ... ;-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

So, how do I import E-5 orf files into LR 2.7 as an DNG?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wet in washington View Post
    So, how do I import E-5 orf files into LR 2.7 as an DNG?
    Support for the E-5 was only provided in ACR 6.3 which is the equivalent to LR 3.3. This means that LR 2.7 cannot work directly with the .orf files from the E-5.

However you can use the Adobe DNG converter Version 6.3 which can convert the .orf files to dng files with the appropriate camera profile. You can then use LR 2.7 to import the dng files.

This comes with some limitations in that LR 2.7 uses an earlier processing engine 2003 while LR 3.x and ACR 6.x uses an updated process engine 2010 and also superior sharpening, noise reduction and the new lens correction technology. This means you will be not be working with the latest technology.
    Denis de Gannes
    Camera Equip:
    E300, E510; ZD 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 35mm macro, 40-150mm & 70-300mm; Zuiko OM 50mm f1.4, 35-70mm f4, 200mm f4; Flash FL50.
    Panasonic G3 & 14-42mm; 45-150mm.
    Imaging Software:
    PaintShopPro x4; Photoshop E6; PS CS6; LightRoom 5.2RC; SilkyPix 4; Corel ASP 1.1.0.30; Capture 1 Express 7.1.3; QimageU; NoisewarePro; VueScan.
    Computer Equip: Win7 HP 64bit; 4GB Ram; Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.66 Ghz; SSHD 500GB; HDD 320GB & 1TB.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That figures. I have been converting them with the DNG converter, just hoping I could save a step.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wet in washington View Post
    That figures. I have been converting them with the DNG converter, just hoping I could save a step.
    Sorry, but it's time to upgrade. LR3 is a major improvement on LR2.7.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You can also download the DNG converter and do the conversions in batch leaving the ORF's in place and putting the DNG's in another folder. Get 6.3 and you can convert the E5 and still use the older verison of LR or PS.
    Phil

E5 with 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f2, EX25 & TC14, FL50R & FL36R

OM-D E-M5 with 7-14 f4, 14-35 f2.8, 35-100 f2.8, 25 f1.4, 45 f1.8, Oly 75-300, FL300R

EPM-1 with VF-2, 14-42II

Wife carries the XZ-1 with VF-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Godfrey's point is that the processing engine/parameters in LR3 are so far superior that it's worth it to upgrade. Same goes for upgrading your version of PS with respect to ACR, IMO.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm