Thread: ETTR - exposing to the right

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Post ETTR - exposing to the right

Having read about it I decided to do a small test myself and came to interesting conclusions.

It seems to me that in low light and conditions requiring higher ISO, there's no point in ETTR since you'll have lower shutter speed which in normal exposure you can compensate by having a stop lower ISO.

But still, this is a shadow crop from both at ISO1600, you can see ETTR method having significantly lower noise, but still - not too practical in real use.

However, for a lanscape shot in which you're going to use low ISO anyway (or native) there seems to be a significant advantage because you can sharpen without it affecting noise and ultimately get cleaner, smoother looking image which is just as sharp:

These 2 shots were opened in ACR-a with following settings: (S:55, R:0.7, D:26, M:20) at ISO200 without any NR.

First one is "as is" while the other one is ETTR +1 shifted to -1 in ACR.

Second sample definitely has better quality and much less noise all around.

Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: ETTR - exposing to the right

Crops for easier comparison

Cheers,
    Marin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Yup, on my E3 I used to set my eV compensation automatically to +0.7 when shooting birds. It really cleaned up the detail on the shaddows and darker parts of birds. Very useful when shooting high ISOs on the E3.

I haven't had the chance to try the E5 that much yet, but I am curious to see how it functions.
    Charles

Canon cool aid, but soft spot for Oly :-D

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

There was a recent thread on ETTR the Luminous Landscape forum. What I recall is that ETTR will only give you shadow IQ gains if you are at base ISO - someone demonstrated with lots of examples in an article that was linked to. Otherwise, you should just lower your ISO setting.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olddigiman View Post
    There was a recent thread on ETTR the Luminous Landscape forum. What I recall is that ETTR will only give you shadow IQ gains if you are at base ISO - someone demonstrated with lots of examples in an article that was linked to. Otherwise, you should just lower your ISO setting.
    Yes, but if you're already at base/low ISO and shooting landscapes for instance ETTR might be a good thing.
    Cheers,
    Marin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    Yes, but if you're already at base/low ISO and shooting landscapes for instance ETTR might be a good thing.
    Absolutely!

One additional thing I remember is that ETTR works best for low contrast scenes -- obviously, because in a high contrast situation, you will not be able to expose very far to the right before blowing highlights. For an amazing example of how far to the right you can expose a low contrast scene, check out the example at the bottom of this link! http://schewephoto.com/ETTR/index.html
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

not sure what your interesting conclusions were - it's pretty basic stuff and your comments seem to be in line with normal thinking.

at the end of the day bit to the right of the histogram hold more data (to work with) so the more of your bits that side the more data you can work with.

the corollary's are that
    1. increasing the ISO to get an acceptable shutter speed (for example) is inevitably counterproductive beyond (probably) base ISO + 1 stop (because the additional data you get is flawed)
    2. you need the DR of the image to be within the sensor core range.

It's one of those where if the opportunity exists you should take advantage of it.
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Problem with extra stop to the right is clipping of one channel which would show up only when looking in a rgb hystogram. Single hystogram would show up clipped only when all three channels burn out. The three hystogram view Isnt practical in e520 not sure about higher end models.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    Problem with extra stop to the right is clipping of one channel which would show up only when looking in a rgb hystogram. Single hystogram would show up clipped only when all three channels burn out. The three hystogram view Isnt practical in e520 not sure about higher end models.
    It's a guesstimate at best, at least through the E-3, because the histogram displays JPEG information, which is easily clipped by default (0) values in contrast and saturation.

I routinely view a clipped histogram in the highlight region with no clipping visible in CS5/LR from RAWs.

It all boils down to learning and understanding how your camera behaves, because not all models behave the same.