Thread: E-5 going back to Olympus

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default E-5 going back to Olympus

I've struggled with my E-5 and Zuiko 35-100mm since I got the E-5 in early November. I've satisfied myself that the camera body is the problem. Here is why:
    • I cannot get accurate and consistent focus with the combination, even after extensive AF testing and calibration. If I sit the camera on a tripod, shoot a manually focused frame, and then 10 frames AF (defocusing between each shot), I will get as many as 8 different levels of OOF and none as sharp as the manual focus frame. I do this on a tripod with cable release.
    • The very same Zuiko 35-100mm is sharp on virtually every frame from my E-1.
    • My Zuiko 12-60mm on the E-5 is always sharp on the E-5.
    • Regardless of lens, I get a lot of ghosting on my E-5 when using IS.
    So, the camera and 35-100 go to Olympus with lots of example photos and a lengthy text of what I've done to confirm the problems. I've been advised by two veterans of the E-3 AF debacle that I should give Oly exactly one chance to deal with this. I fully intend to take that advice.

Am I being reasonable? Have I overlooked anything? Is there anyone at Olympus I should CALL or EMAIL first before shipping in the camera?

I'll be glad to answer any questions you pose to me. Thanks.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Re: E-5 going back to Olympus

Call Olympus repair and try to get to level 2 support and explain it and see what they recommend.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sorry to hear about that - it's pretty disappointing. Your mention of the image stabilizer issue reminds me of a problem that Woofmix described. He's on his second try with the Olympus repair crew, as they didn't fix it the first time (but that's in Europe - the US repair centers are supposedly better).

Keep us updated on how they handle it. I'll have to send my E-3 in for servicing at some point (it's focusing at the same speed as my E-520), so these service stories are all of great interest to me...
    Flickr
    I shoot with more gear than my wife is happy with.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I'll post here as I work my way through this. It may be a long process, so be patient!
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Level 2. I understand. Thanks.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    I've struggled with my E-5 and Zuiko 35-100mm ...
    So, the camera and 35-100 go to Olympus with lots of example photos and a lengthy text of what I've done to confirm the problems. I've been advised by two veterans of the E-3 AF debacle that I should give Oly exactly one chance to deal with this. I fully intend to take that advice.

Am I being reasonable? Have I overlooked anything? Is there anyone at Olympus I should CALL or EMAIL first before shipping in the camera? ...
    I don't get the bit about giving a repair service "exactly one chance". Whatcha gonna do if they mess up their "one chance"?

From your description it's pretty obvious there's something wrong. But whether it's with the 35-100 or not I couldn't say without doing some testing.

Call Olympus USA Service first. Talk with them. Be sure they fully understand the issues you're seeing. Ask for whatever higher level of service might be appropriate to a pro body/pro lens owner who presumably has some income riding on his camera.

Don't take a confrontational attitude until someone confronts you ... !

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Sounds like the AF problems that I and many others have had (and still has to some extent) with the E-3.

Good Luck with Olympus.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I don't get the bit about giving a repair service "exactly one chance". Whatcha gonna do if they mess up their "one chance"?
    Demand a full replacement, instead of repeatedly sending it back for repairs. That was the advice I had heard, as well. Sometimes the company will do this on their own initiative (especially if they're on their 3rd+ repair attempt), but that's your time they're taking up.
    Flickr
    I shoot with more gear than my wife is happy with.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Good luck, it's interesting you are getting ghosting with IS turned on, I imagine it's a similar issue I have with my E5 although my camera only seems to do it when it portrait orientation although I've stopped using IS altogether as I don't trust it on my camera now. It's been back to Oly with a detailed explanation of the IS problem but they didn't even look at the IS so it's still the same. I haven't had a chance to get back to them yet.
    I've not noticed any focusing issues with my E5 and any lenses, a few needed minor calibration but that was all.

Paul
    G5, GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25.
    RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

From your description it's pretty obvious there's something wrong. But whether it's with the 35-100 or not I couldn't say without doing some testing.

Call Olympus USA Service first. Talk with them. Be sure they fully understand the issues you're seeing. Ask for whatever higher level of service might be appropriate to a pro body/pro lens owner who presumably has some income riding on his camera.

Good advice Godfrey. A reasonable amount of patience, good communication, and a healthy attitude will go a long way.

Dan
    E-P1, Zuiko M14-42, Zuiko 17mm, E-3, Zuiko 14-35 f2 SHG, Zuiko 35-100 f2 SHG, 14-54 f2.8-3.5 Ver I, ThinkTank Photo Urban Disguise 40, ThinkTank Photo Urban Disguise 60, more bags...bags...bags...sheesh, where is a good twelve step program for people with too many bags?
    http://www.portlandphotographic.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I agree! Take a friendly approach and they are likely to bend over backwards to help. At least that has been my experience with Oly Australia. Carrying the flagship camera has a lot to do with it also. I have the benefit of living close to the service center so I'm often able to chat with the technician - invaluable. A confrontational approach guarantees the level of service and care will be minimal.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I was pretty pissed off when Oly didn't fix my E-30 the first time in went in for repair. The got it right the 2nd time.

With hindsight I understand. The problem I had the first time was very vague. Not exactly reproducable. The 2nd time basically the body was dead and could lo longer be switched on, while the first time this happened only once in a while.

My point is, with complicated problems there a big chance it takes more then 1 attempt to solve it. Sounds like you did a good job on given them enough info that uppes the stakes. But don't be too disappointed when they need to have another go at it.

When you get to attempt 3 and higher, I would start to bang on their doors.
    But I hope (and think) it will turn out ok the 1st time.
    E-30/E-PL1/OM-D E-M5/E-M1
    ** Micro 14-42mm ** Micro 45mm f/1.8 ** Micro 17mm f/1.8 **
    ** 40-150mm II ** 9-18mm ** 12-50mm **
    ** ZD 150mm f/2 ** 12-60mm SWD ** 50-200mm SWD **
    ** Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ** EC-20 ** Two FL-36R **
    ** Samyang 85mm f/1.4 ** OM 50mm f/1.8 + f/1.4 **
    ** Leica Elmarit 180mm f/2.8 ** Vivitar 35-70mm f.2.8-3.5 **
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thx1138sgl/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default remaining calm

If the repairs are not satisfactory on the first go-around, I'll politely, calmly, and quietly request a new body straight away. If I am denied, I am not wedded to Olympus.

I've already primed myself to maintain a calm demeanor while providing ample documentation. No threats, no demands, no YELLING.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher