Thread: Stilts

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Red face Stilts

Here's a few shots of the Stilts from today.
    I went to Vransko jezero (Crow's lake in direct translation) and there are a lot of birds there since it's a very good habitat for them and a protected nature park.

Lots of crows obviously, but other birds as well such as great egrets etc..

The weather wasn't the best and I only had 150mm + TCs.

I camouflaged myself using old army uniform and adding a cammo shirt on top of my head covering the camera.

Worked ok, but I think ghille type suit would work better.

What I was not so happy about was poor autofocus performance.
    Photographing stilts walking around using CAF mode was very bad idea because focus would jump around a lot if I picked the af point close to bird's head and firing a burst of shots, CAF would inexplicably jump around for no reason resulting in a lot of mis-focused shots.

SAF was a bit better, but not ideal because birds were moving slightly so burst shots couldn't be made.

Few times the birds flew by but CAF was uttery incapable of giving in focus shots. I blame teleconverters for this mostly, but it didn't inspire confidence in the E-5 or the 150mm either.

Since CAF isn't good for slow moving subjects, I resorted to using a SAF for the birds on the ground/water, but that would mean if the bird flew by it would've been impossible to quickly switch to CAF (not that it was good at tracking birds in flight anyway ).

AF is by far the worst thing about 43rds IMO, Olympus is simply not trying hard enough in this area.
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: Stilts

Weird that you're talking about this. I was talking shots of Wood ducks the other day and tried to get a few in flight but focus was never good in CAF. It would look good in the viewer but I soon as I clicked, the focus jumped and the shots were out of focus.... I was really disappointed by Olympus and I only had the 1.4x on...

Anyway, I think your shots are awesome! Keep up the good work!
    E-30 + HLD-4 | E-500 | 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 | 35mm f/3.5 | 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 | 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 ED | 300mm f2.8 | EC-14 | EC-20 | FL-36R |

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Just out of interest.
    Assuming you set the autofocus to a single target point, did you also have the "small single-target" option selected ?
    And I'm guessing the relatively low contrast of a white bird is not the easiest subject for auto focus anyway.
    Cheers,
    Alec
    Twin E-620/70-300mm/14-42mm/pinhole lens, plus 8mm FE, Tokina AT-X 90mm macro, and Zeiss 500/8 mirror.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

they are such cool looking birds, Great shots.. i gotta get to the river more and get more shore and water birds, Remember you can always set a my mode up for CAF and shoot SAF till the birds take off and then just use the FN button to switch to my mode
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I love the stilts and that first shot is as good as they come.

You're right, for wading birds CAF is awful. Just keep shooting bursts in SAF and you'll get what you're after. If you have the talent, I don't, use MF for that. I'll second the mention for the my mode to switch to CAF diamond pattern with a higher iso to keep shutter speeds up for when they pop up in flight.
    Good People Drink Good Beer - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Love the images, and the first one is a winner for me. Still catching up with the technicalities of the Olympus system, and 4/3rds so won't comment further except to say it sure has worked on these.

Gerry

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Mar -

All of these are nice, very-very nice! I especially like the top shot and the photo just above the bottom shot. Well done!

Sorry to read that you're not completely satisfied w/ the performance of your new E-5 w/ the SHG 150/f2 and the (2x) tele-converter. I'd love to take that gear off your hands but right now I'm a wee bit short on cash.

-leon
    -leon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RE: My Posted Photos: C&C = welcome
    E-1 & E-3 // 14-54mm & 50-200mm SWD

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks Leon

Regarding the AF, it was pretty bad yesterday, but I went to the lake again today and it seemed much better - go figure.
    Still not great, but I got few shots considering how little birds there were (was windy), it was OK.

I think the biggest problem is lack of reach and 150mm is not that great for birds with EC20,

EC20 seems very inconsistent, sometimes gives great results and other times bad ones (mostly due to mis-focus).

I think 300 would be great with or without EC14 for these types of shots.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
    Mar -

All of these are nice, very-very nice! I especially like the top shot and the photo just above the bottom shot. Well done!

Sorry to read that you're not completely satisfied w/ the performance of your new E-5 w/ the SHG 150/f2 and the (2x) tele-converter. I'd love to take that gear off your hands but right now I'm a wee bit short on cash.

-leon
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.