Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Olympus is finally there (new Pens)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb I think Olympus is finally there (new Pens)

Am I crazy to think m43 could easily replace my 43rds rig right now?

Currently, only paid work I'm doing with it is weddings (which is going quite nicely), but looking at the newest Pen performance, I'm starting think if it would be a good idea to just replace it with a Pen.

I have 35-100mm coming in 4 weeks, but I was thinking of maybe replacing my sub 50mm lenses with micro as soon as it becomes available, and maybe keeping 35-100 + E-5 for some time.

Looking at the gear that has been released, E-P3 + 12mm, PL 25mm and 45mm would be a fantastic kit for a wedding, and I could easily add one more body (like E-PM1 to have 2 lenses at the same time available).

All of this costs a fraction of my current 43rds gear, sensor is even better, focusing is on par, and low-light focusing is even better, video is better, it's much more discreete which I like, and it's so much easier to carry around and doesn't intimidate people like a full on DSLR rig.

E-5 has greater autonomy and a convienence in zooms, but 12, 25 and 45 would cover pretty much everything anyway.

What are your thoughts? Has Olympus finally killed it's DSLR line (or at least made it redundant), at least for lenses under 50mm?

E-5 + 7-14 + 14-35 + 50 = almost 3kg (4.5kg with 35-100)

E-P3 + 12 + 25 + 45 = under 1kg

I was thinking of buying E-P3 + 17mm soon to see how it goes and then decide if it would be a good "standalone" kit, or if I still need/want a proper DSLR...
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: I think Olympus is finally there (new Pens)

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    What are your thoughts? Has Olympus finally killed it's DSLR line (or at least made it redundant), at least for lenses under 50mm?
    Yes, I think they've killed the dSLR line. But no, not because they've made it redundant....

The new Pens look great, but none of them have an inbuilt EVF (something that extensive use of the GH2 and EPL2 has I need), and I still think the user interface is more clumsy than it needs to be.
    Panasonic GH2, Panasonic 7-14/f4 ASPH, Panasonic 14/f2.5 ASPH, Panasonic 20/f1.7 ASPH, Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95, Olympus m.ZD 40-150 MSC.
    Pentax LX, SMC Pentax-K 24/f2.8, SMC Pentax-M 50/f1.4, Fotodiox PK-m43 adapter
    Flickr
    500px

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Would your wedding customers be happy with you shooting a m4/3 rig? Will it look "professional" to them? Perception counts for a lot and has always been skewed against Olympus when comparing them to Canon or Nikon.

If you're just using size/weight as a criteria for camera selection I would strongly recommend an iPhone. It has a fine 5MP camera with built in zoom and selective, quite accurate, focusing. It also offers a quite effective incamera HDR capability utilizing three images automatically captured.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

^^ +1 ^^
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    Would your wedding customers be happy with you shooting a m4/3 rig? Will it look "professional" to them? Perception counts for a lot and has always been skewed against Olympus when comparing them to Canon or Nikon.
    I haven't met anyone who was inquiring about the gear so far.
    Besides, it's the images, not camera equpment that matter.

I'm shooting with a friend who uses Canon 5D, and our clients don't really care about the gear.

If you're just using size/weight as a criteria for camera selection I would strongly recommend an iPhone. It has a fine 5MP camera with built in zoom and selective, quite accurate, focusing. It also offers a quite effective incamera HDR capability utilizing three images automatically captured.
    So, you're comparing a phone to a DSLR (or mirrorless) rig?

I'm just saying how with new lenses (f2 or faster) and improved AF performance, I don't really see the benefit in huge and expensive 4/3rds DSLR rig with sub 50mm lenses (or 100mm equiv.)

Ok, DSLR is still more suitable for lenses from 100mm onward I guess, but for people photography, that's too long.

Micro has f2 lenses or faster, newer sensor, faster low light focus (pretty important for weddings), and is much cheaper - quite a solid list in favor over DSLR.
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Trust me, if you have a large enough piece of glass in front of a PEN camera, people see it as plenty professional. In fact, the diminutive PEN body only accentuates the look of your large glass and makes people go, "Wow, now that's a professional camera!". lol.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Neddog View Post
    Trust me, if you have a large enough piece of glass in front of a PEN camera, people see it as plenty professional. In fact, the diminutive PEN body only accentuates the look of your large glass and makes people go, "Wow, now that's a professional camera!". lol.
    Agreed! Although I can sympathize with the view that the general public and certain professional clients may be too overly enamored with the Nikon/Canon bricks, much of what passes for professionalism with a camera is the manner that one conducts themselves, the ease by which one employs their photo tools, and the confidence one radiates in handling assignments authoritatively. I tend to lean toward large aperture glass due to my interests in the genres of candid/street, low light/night, stage/theater, interiors/architectural, and travel photography, where often I either don't get to choose my own light or the use of artificial light sources may ruin the ambience. I have had many people seriously inquire whether I was a pro photographer.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I think it is going to replace the 4/3 line eventually. I really can't see Oly continuing r&d on 4/3. Maybe they will. Who knows

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by llpoolej View Post
    I think it is going to replace the 4/3 line eventually. I really can't see Oly continuing r&d on 4/3. Maybe they will. Who knows
    Olympus needs to come up with a solid, weathered sealed pro body that can handle large lenses if need be. The merging of the two lines would enable to offer a unique product that is remarkably compact, with relatively tiny lenses, yet professionally robust.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There are professional photographers who have been shooting weddings with the existing range of micro 4/3 cameras and who have gotten past the "mine is bigger than yours syndrome".
    If the small size and new features appeal to you give the system a try, don't forget you have 2 camera body and several lens manufacturers to choose from.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The images a m4/3 camera makes are very nice. As nice as the regular 4/3. Its really a silly statement to blow off the weight difference as a factor that can't be deciduous. Do you really think an Iphone comes close to any of the pens? Really?

I don't think m4/3 could hold up to professional use. I know how I use a camera and it would just take too much off a beating. I personally think the E-1 was the perfect size. Not too big, not to small and was perfect in your hand.

Oly has done a very good job capturing a market share of those who want really nice pictures without carrying a ton of weight. My neck hurts BADLY after a day of shooting. I am used to carrying larger cameras and larger lenses and I can't imagine a soccer mom who wants great photos of her kids hauling the stuff around I do.

The pro market hasn't been nearly as profitable as the consumer market, so, business wise, they are putting forth the effort where it makes money.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I don't think m4/3 could hold up to professional use. I know how I use a camera and it would just take too much off a beating. I personally think the E-1 was the perfect size. Not too big, not to small and was perfect in your hand.
    The m4:3 bodies as they exist now are not pro ready at all. However, Leica made tiny M series bodies and lenses that were without question professional caliber. Indeed, some photo critics considered them the class of the 35mm genre. Those M bodies and lenses are very close in size to the current m4:3 system.

There's nothing to stop Olympus from designing and building a pro Pen body. In fact, there's been rumors floating around that a pro Pen may be as far away as two years or as near as 1-2 months! They could make something stout enough to handle the weight of the largest 4:3 lenses. Alternatively, they may be developing an entire new pro m4:3 lens arsenal, of which the new 12/2 is the charter member.

In fact, the very existence of the 12/2 may be a strong clue that a pro Pen is near. Why should Olympus release a pro lens with no pro body?
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yes, they easily could make a professional body. I don't think I would want to put 4/3 lenses on them though. It defeats the purpose of the small body. With larger lenses, you need a camera to balance them. I am guessing there will be more development off m3/4 pro lenses in the future

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I tried giving the m43 line a go (EPL-1/GH1) but just can't get past the size(at least with no vertical grip) and all the tiny buttons and having to change eveything with buttons.

The GH1 has it right with the scroll/push button on the grip but I know if I dropped the thing it would break into several pieces. It was much easier to handle than the EPL-1 but the build quality was just not there.

The EPL-1 is just too small for me but has a nice build/feel to it if it was weather sealed with a proper addon vertical grip and tile/swivel LCD then I would change over simple because I feel the 43 line is over and I can't blame Olympus on putting all of its resources into the money maker BUT they have to give us 43 users a path to swtich over to m43.

Now I'm not tied to any brand but don't care for Canon as its not 43 aspect, Nikon looks good but they have Sony sensors, Pentax looks real good but again they are in bed with Sony, Panasonic looks to be getting quite the cameras build quality is not much better than a plastic toy.

At the end of the day no one has the 4/3 aspect ratio which I prefer and will have nothing to do with any company that has Sony in its products.
    Last edited by Future Assassin; 07-24-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Not quite:

While I truly liked the IQ and functions of my E-PL1, I sold it and went back to the E500 for the Kodak sensor. Good move in my mind until I see the PEN I want.

My thought is that the Pen will be "there" when they incorporate an EVF in-camera. Otherwise, I'm on board with the PEN, but not until.....I'm not paying an extra $300 for a plugin EVF, even if it can flash!

Where's the Pen Pro? I expected it by mid year... NOT!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have moved completely to the m4/3 system. For what I shoot, which is mostly street and documentary photography, it is ideal.

I sold the last of my 4/3 gear back in February of this year.

I originally came to 4/3 after shooting pro Nikon cameras for 30 years. I wanted to downsize. And my move to m4/3 is just another step in that direction.

I currently shoot a Lumix GF-1 with 5 lenses, I and have the Olympus EP-3 on order.

I have shot a few paying gigs with my m4/3 gear without any problems at all.

Anyone who thinks these cameras are toys, is sadly mistaken. My GF-1 has hit pavement twice now, both times it was knocked out of my hands, and it skipped around on concrete and it works just fine. It has a few dents in it, but the camera operates as it should. It is built like a small tank.

I know that the m4/3 system is not for everyone. But for what I shoot, it is perfect.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yes, they easily could make a professional body. I don't think I would want to put 4/3 lenses on them though. It defeats the purpose of the small body. With larger lenses, you need a camera to balance them. I am guessing there will be more development off m3/4 pro lenses in the future
    I agree and have stated so before! Also, there may gains in overall sharpness if the the 4:3 SHG lenses were redesigned in m4:3 UHG dressing. Given the cost of the SHG lenses though, Oly ZD probably want to see that the m4:3 system is financially successful before they commit to overhauling the SHG prestige glass.

If Oly ZD does redo the 7-14mm zoom, I sure hope they do it right! and include a filter turret with a polarizer, (strong) UV, and variable strengths of ND filters built-in. Any fisheye lens should be done the same way. Why? Because you can't put external filters on those lenses and POL/UV/ND are still necessary for serious photography. Even a graduated ND might not be a bad addition, although that might be asking too much.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote" However, Leica made tiny M series bodies and lenses that were without question professional caliber. Indeed, some photo critics considered them the class of the 35mm genre. Those M bodies and lenses are very close in size to the current m4:3 system. "

Have you ever seen the Leica C series??

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Quote" However, Leica made tiny M series bodies and lenses that were without question professional caliber. Indeed, some photo critics considered them the class of the 35mm genre. Those M bodies and lenses are very close in size to the current m4:3 system. "

Have you ever seen the Leica C series??
    No, I haven't paid it too much attention. I am very much aware of the Leica M and (to a lesser extent) R series. At one time there were serious photo critics who did consider the M series the class of the field.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    If Oly ZD does redo the 7-14mm zoom, I sure hope they do it right! and include a filter turret with a polarizer, (strong) UV, and variable strengths of ND filters built-in. Any fisheye lens should be done the same way. Why? Because you can't put external filters on those lenses and POL/UV/ND are still necessary for serious photography. Even a graduated ND might not be a bad addition, although that might be asking too much.
    I was under the impression that putting CPL's on ultra-wides created very strange effects? Or is that only if they go in front of the lens?
    Panasonic GH2, Panasonic 7-14/f4 ASPH, Panasonic 14/f2.5 ASPH, Panasonic 20/f1.7 ASPH, Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95, Olympus m.ZD 40-150 MSC.
    Pentax LX, SMC Pentax-K 24/f2.8, SMC Pentax-M 50/f1.4, Fotodiox PK-m43 adapter
    Flickr
    500px

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thats what happens when you try to darken sky and make it more blue. Because angle of view of such a lens is really wide that means the skies in the scene will come from different angles from the sun. And CPL will make part of the sky which is 90 degrees from sky more blue then the parts of the sky wich is more toward 0 and 180 degree from the sun. So the sky will look different in different part of the scene.
    But CPL cuts of reflections as well and takes one stop of the light so it's nice to take a picture of the water or waterfalls when these qualities are desirable.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
    I was under the impression that putting CPL's on ultra-wides created very strange effects? Or is that only if they go in front of the lens?
    That has nothing to do with the type of polarizer. As Darkesha pointed out, that's a consequence of dealing with medium wide (12-14mm) and ultra wide (11mm or less) lenses. The wide view, especially of the sky, can yield other-than-uniform contrast over the entire view.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I don't think that Olympus (or m4/3 in general) is there as yet.

Ignoring the weather-proofing (which in rainy Vancouver is almost mandatory), these cameras are just not up to par for any sort of fast photography. When I say fast, I'm talking about action/sports photography.

I recently shot at a hockey game using some rented 4/3 gear (14-35mm and 35-100mm) and you just cannot compare any lenses in the u4/3 to these for their fast focus (continuous focus!) and their large apertures. The Panasonic 14-140mm is amazingly quick to focus in both single and continuous focus, but it is too slow for any sort of low-light photography. The Panasonic 20mm is great in low-light, but it doesn't do continuous focus. It's an either/or sort of scenario with u4/3.

Then when you look at the u4/3 bodies, there is the inherent problem with the inability to follow your (fast moving) subject through the viewfinder (or LCD) since as soon as you press the shutter, you lose the subject for half a second or more. For action/sports photography, it leaves you guessing as to where the subject will be rather than being able to compose the frame properly.

Lastly, u4/3 cameras like the E-P3 are really exciting at how fast they can now focus, but once the scene gets two dark, they lose any focus abilities all over again. Our 4/3 bodies didn't suffer (as badly) from this as I have seen with my u4/3 bodies.

All that being said, I've ditched all but one of my 4/3 bodies and lens, and rarely use them anymore. I absolutely love the u4/3 bodies and their selection of lenses. It fits my style of photography. But on the few occasions that I am doing action/sports photography u4/3 is inadequate at this time.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Except for a used Oly rangefinder, I have never used a non-pro Oly body. Therefore, I have no problem with your concerns. I am waiting for the Pen Pro myself. However, it would be nice for OLy ZD to have fast AF normal, WA, and tele pro lenses with Snap Focus available close to the time the pro body is released.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No matter what IQ and focus speed, the PENs are still expensive point-and-shoot cameras until Olympus decides to make one with an in-camera EVF.

Panasonic is way ahead.
    Regards,
    Henk
    ---------------------------------------
    photography is my passion
    you are invited to visit my gallery at http://mordisco.smugmug.com