Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I could use some help/information!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: I could use some help/information!

Quote Originally Posted by teepee12 View Post
    Interesting. Mine went all the way to 1/8, which for me was way too slow.
    You said you have an E-PL1, right? My camera is the E-PL2, which might make a difference, or maybe it gives a different setting because of the lens. The one I tested this on was an f/2.8 lens, so maybe it is giving you slower shutter speeds because you are using a slower lens. So it wants to match everything else to the settings that my f/2.8 lens is getting, but can't because of your slower lens speed?

Also, were you using Aperture Priority or Auto/Program mode? I was testing this in Aperture Priority, as I'm scared to put my camera in Auto or Program since I just don't know what might happen, lol.

As far as Auto ISO goes though, this is actually a very useful tool which I really should be taking advantage of more often. I only ever used it for Shutter Priority, but I should use it more for Aperture Priority as well. I keep away from it because I'm afraid it'll degrade my image quality, but I don't know what I'm afraid of because my Olympus cameras only jack it up as a last resort - which is what I would do manually anyways. I do prefer to use full stops in ISO though, which is something Auto ISO doesn't do (Auto ISO will use 1/3 stops even if you turn off partial stops in your manual selection). I have started using it more often for shooting with manual lenses in Manual shooting mode. Without Auto ISO I have to constantly adjust shutter speed to match the light meter reading, but with Auto ISO I can point-and-shoot with a manual lens and take advantage of a broad range of exposure before further adjustments are needed.

You're right, Auto ISO does make life a lot easier in many ways. Nothing wrong with taking advantage of it.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Neddog View Post
    You said you have an E-PL1, right? My camera is the E-PL2, which might make a difference, or maybe it gives a different setting because of the lens. The one I tested this on was an f/2.8 lens, so maybe it is giving you slower shutter speeds because you are using a slower lens. So it wants to match everything else to the settings that my f/2.8 lens is getting, but can't because of your slower lens speed?

Also, were you using Aperture Priority or Auto/Program mode? I was testing this in Aperture Priority, as I'm scared to put my camera in Auto or Program since I just don't know what might happen, lol.

As far as Auto ISO goes though, this is actually a very useful tool which I really should be taking advantage of more often. I only ever used it for Shutter Priority, but I should use it more for Aperture Priority as well. I keep away from it because I'm afraid it'll degrade my image quality, but I don't know what I'm afraid of because my Olympus cameras only jack it up as a last resort - which is what I would do manually anyways. I do prefer to use full stops in ISO though, which is something Auto ISO doesn't do (Auto ISO will use 1/3 stops even if you turn off partial stops in your manual selection). I have started using it more often for shooting with manual lenses in Manual shooting mode. Without Auto ISO I have to constantly adjust shutter speed to match the light meter reading, but with Auto ISO I can point-and-shoot with a manual lens and take advantage of a broad range of exposure before further adjustments are needed.

You're right, Auto ISO does make life a lot easier in many ways. Nothing wrong with taking advantage of it.
    Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to push the river. Which is why I went back to auto ISO, mainly diddled with my AF and metering mode, changed the aspect to square because basically, it's cool and I haven't used a square format since I sold my old Rolleiflex a zillion years ago. I need at least one fast lens. Thinking of buying the Sigma 20mm 1.7, though if I could find a reasonably fast small zoom, I would definitely look at that. THIS is where the paucity of available lenses hits home. Both my lenses are slow and it seems that the only substantially faster lenses I can find (maybe I'm missing something???) are primes, which are fine but not very flexible. And I'm just not spry enough any more to use my legs as a zoom engine.

Sometimes, I think back on the really amazing cameras I owned and it pains me. Why did I ever sell them? I didn't even get a lot of money for them. I had a LEICA M3 with 3 amazing lenses. I sold it! Ye gads, what was I thinking? The Rollei. The Bronica. And there were MORE, MANY more. Big format cameras with lenses to die for. A couple of old Olympus film cameras. A Nikon or two. A totally manual Practika with a Zeiss lens that was a small miracle on which I learned. I AM getting old. I don't even remember all of them any more.

Nothing I own now comes near the cameras I had in the past.

Meanwhile: Do you have any suggestions for lenses? I must get at least one fast lens and a couple would be even better!!

Marilyn

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Re: I could use some help/information!: GOT IT!

I got "Olympus PEN E-PL1 for Dummies" today and I am reminded what a difference it makes when information is presented clearly, properly illustrated, and even ... OMG! a sense of humor! Considering that this is also the most expensive paperback book I have ever bought, I am doubly glad that it is as good as I had hoped. Maybe it is even better! There is a downloadable "crib sheet" that you can keep with your camera. If anyone is interested, I'll send you the link to get it.

Thank you one and all!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Meanwhile: Do you have any suggestions for lenses? I must get at least one fast lens and a couple would be even better!!

Marilyn
    You said in your original post that you were interested in the Leica 25mm f/1.4, right? That would be a very good choice, as would the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 and the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2. That would be a wonderful trio for a native Micro Four-Thirds set. If you can't afford them all, then start with the focal length area that you would use the most. I'm a long guy, so I would go for the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 first, or the Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro if you don't mind sacrificing a bit of lens speed and AF speed for macro close-focus.

If you want a fast zoom with Autofocus, then get a Four-Thirds mount adapter to mount the great Zuiko, Leica, and Sigma fast zooms. A great standard zoom for a PEN is the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II, which is fast, sharp, compact, and CDAF optimized.

If you don't want or need Autofocus, well... then your possibilities are endless for both zooms and primes, in SLR, rangefinder, cine lens, Pen F, and other mounts.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Smile Re: I could use some help/information!

You said in your original post that you were interested in the Leica 25mm f/1.4, right? That would be a very good choice, as would the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 and the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2. That would be a wonderful trio for a native Micro Four-Thirds set. If you can't afford them all, then start with the focal length area that you would use the most. I'm a long guy, so I would go for the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 first, or the Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro if you don't mind sacrificing a bit of lens speed and AF speed for macro close-focus.

If you want a fast zoom with Autofocus, then get a Four-Thirds mount adapter to mount the great Zuiko, Leica, and Sigma fast zooms. A great standard zoom for a PEN is the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II, which is fast, sharp, compact, and CDAF optimized.

If you don't want or need Autofocus, well... then your possibilities are endless for both zooms and primes, in SLR, rangefinder, cine lens, Pen F, and other mounts.
    I'm torn. I love the idea of having a really great "normal" with the Leica 25mm, but I might get more use out of the 45mm because I do a lot of portraits and that's a really good length. If i can, i would like both!

I'm going to have a wee bit of disposable money soon (a small legacy) and while I can't go spending ALL of it on camera equipment (how much fun would THAT be!), I might just see if I can pick up a faster zoom, never even considered getting an adapter to do it. That opens up a whole new world.

Seems that the words "fast" and "zoom" in a sentence are something of an oxymoron. Have been looking at Panasonic 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 (Leica) to replace the 14-42 because it's faster ... But the 14-54mm Zuiko sounds like a good choice and I hadn't thought of that ... a bit extra length and at least a stop faster. Anyway, at least one or 2 fast primes, regardless ... If I have to ponder something, this is good to ponder. Fun food for thought!

I AM having fun :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I just wanted to put in one thought about so many primes: that's a lot of changing lenses. i don't mind it, but I do worry about dirt and dust. i don't know about everywhere, but i live in a very dusty world. I also have a lot of dogs. AND I live in the middle of a woods and there's a lot of pollen and stuff in the air, all the time. Every time I take a lens off, I wonder how much crud is getting IN. Does anyone besides me worry about that?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Smile Re: I could use some help/information!

I'm torn. I love the idea of having a really great "normal" with the Leica 25mm, but I might get more use out of the 45mm because I do a lot of portraits and that's a really good length. If i can, i would like both!

I'm going to have a wee bit of disposable money soon (a small legacy) and while I can't go spending ALL of it on camera equipment (how much fun would THAT be!), I might just see if I can pick up a faster zoom, never even considered getting an adapter to do it. That opens up a whole new world.

Seems that the words "fast" and "zoom" in a sentence are something of an oxymoron. Have been looking at Panasonic 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 (Leica) to replace the 14-42 because it's faster ... But the 14-54mm Zuiko sounds like a good choice and I hadn't thought of that ... a bit extra length and at least a stop faster. Anyway, at least one or 2 fast primes, regardless ... If I have to ponder something, this is good to ponder. Fun food for thought!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I think the 45-50mm range on Four-Thirds cameras is an excellent general-purpose prime for a portrait shooter. The 40mm f/1.8 Konica Hexanon is also a lovely all-purpose lens for manual focus. But if you're going that route there's also a ton of wonderful 50mm fast primes you could use as well. 50mm was considered a "standard lens" in 35mm film, but to be honest it's a much more usable length on Four-Thirds... in my opinion. I had always found the 50mm length too wide for me then. In film the better choice for me was the 85mm f/1.8 over a 50mm f/1.4, but in the Four-Thirds system the 50mm is more like the 85mm was, but even faster and smaller!

The Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Vario-Elmarit is certainly a great choice, but the two things that make the Zuiko 14-54mm II ideal for a PEN camera are 1) it's more compact, and 2) it's CDAF optimized for faster AF on the PEN system (this doesn't apply to the original 14-54mm). Since you are using a PEN and not a Panasonic, then you don't need the Mega OIS which is included with the Vario-Elmarit lens.

It is fun picking out lenses, isn't it?

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score

[QUOTE=Neddog;577289

It is fun picking out lenses, isn't it? [/QUOTE]

The most fun money can buy! I'm told that the 45mm zuiko isn't actually available yet. They are telling me are it'll be around the middle of Sept. (we're nearly there, aren't we?) before it's available to ship. I could pre-order it, but I think I'll just be patient. Would like to get some opinions from users before I jump in. But this IS fun. Think I'm going to get the Panny 20 first because it is so fast. Need something FAST.