Thread: Olympus PEN E-PL1 for Dummies

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Olympus PEN E-PL1 for Dummies

I got the book today. I am delighted with it. It explains everything ... and I mean EVERYTHING ... in clear language with great illustrations that shows all the menus and the screens. There is so much more to this camera than I would have ever discovered without help.

Just doing basic setup stuff ... what a relief to finally know what it means if I set it this way vs. the other way, what the effect will be if I change a particular setting.

For the bewildered but not faint of heart, this is a GREAT place to get the information you need and want. Yay team!!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Thumbs up Re: Olympus PEN E-PL1 for Dummies

Thanks for the rave review. I have a friend who might want this book. I sent him a link to your post.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by teepee12 View Post
    I got the book today. I am delighted with it. It explains everything ... and I mean EVERYTHING ... in clear language with great illustrations that shows all the menus and the screens. There is so much more to this camera than I would have ever discovered without help.

Just doing basic setup stuff ... what a relief to finally know what it means if I set it this way vs. the other way, what the effect will be if I change a particular setting.

For the bewildered but not faint of heart, this is a GREAT place to get the information you need and want. Yay team!!
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: Olympus PEN E-PL1 for Dummies

I am glad to see that this book will be of help to you......................:-)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/avg1940/
    E-30, DMC L1,E-PL1,DMC-G3,50-200 SWD, 50mm, 25mm, 70-300, 14-54, EC-1.4, EX-25,M14-42,M40-150,MMF-2,Panasonic 100-300,
    VF-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I echo the review on this book. I bought it when I saw it soon after getting my E-PL1.

I teach a lot of computer classes and use the "Dummies" books (Also the "Idiots" line) for the material in many of the classes. I also tell students about the books.

So many after market books in technical areas make one serious mistake... forgetting to bring the language down from the technical stratosphere and speak "lay" english. Technical books that speak to the masses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Good post.
    It always amazes me that the Japanese electronics companies don't employ authors like this to write intelligible manuals for their products. For the relative peanuts it would cost these companies, their return would be well covered by customer satisfaction.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    Good post.
    It always amazes me that the Japanese electronics companies don't employ authors like this to write intelligible manuals for their products. For the relative peanuts it would cost these companies, their return would be well covered by customer satisfaction.
    Cheers,
    Don
    The "manual" that came with my E-PL3 is a crying shame. Even the PDF "full manual" is very poor. Fortunately for me, I'm the type who dives into the camera menus just to see what damage I can do. (smile)
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    Good post.
    Cheers,
    Don
    As a veteran (30 year) technical writer, the answer is that there is a belief throughout the high tech world that no one reads the manuals anyhow. That may be somewhat true for some users in the computer world, but not true in the camera world where you absolutely need a manual. When I got this camera, I found it to be configured very differently from the Canons I'd been using. Even the words meant different things. I was lost. And I'm GOOD at understanding technical material.

Tech writers are the most disposable members of a team ... last hired, first fired AND lowest paid. To coin a phrase, we don't get no respect. It isn't unusual for tech writers to have to work from engineering specs without ever getting to use the product we are supposed to document ... explaining why so many manuals are so wrong. I wrote excellent (even award winning) manuals and occasionally, someone appreciated it. Mostly though, companies want fast and cheap -- they don't care about quality. Often, the person writing the manual isn't even a writer ... it's the secretary or someone's nephew who'll do it for free. Silly, isn't it?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

As a veteran (30 year) technical writer, the answer is that there is a belief throughout the high tech world that no one reads the manuals anyhow. That may be somewhat true for some users in the computer world, but not true in the camera world where you absolutely need a manual. When I got this camera, I found it to be configured very differently from the Canons I'd been using. Even the words meant different things. I was lost. And I'm GOOD at understanding technical material.

Tech writers are the most disposable members of a team ... last hired, first fired AND lowest paid. To coin a phrase, we don't get no respect. It isn't unusual for tech writers to have to work from engineering specs without ever getting to use the product we are supposed to document ... explaining why so many manuals are so wrong. I wrote excellent (even award winning) manuals and occasionally, someone appreciated it. Mostly though, companies want fast and cheap -- they don't care about quality. Often, the person writing the manual isn't even a writer ... it's the secretary or someone's nephew who'll do it for free. Silly, isn't it?
    Sorry to hear of those problems. You deserve better.
    They are not silly, they are stupid in my opinion.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Good info. Thanks

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I bought both "Photoshop for Dummies" and "Photoshop in an instant" when I first started using PS, I found Instant to be much better, but both infinitely more useful for a newby that Adobe's own manuals.

Great post

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

I've seen it before but couldn't find in my country or seller who might send it also,just moving from e520 tp epl1 I find out it more delightful using zuiko om lens with this pen. Eventhough theres common menu but still try to figured it out the artfilter,etc
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling