Thread: Yongnuo LCD remote control live view finder

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Yongnuo LCD remote control live view finder

As many of you know, I have a fascination with live view external monitors and shutter releases. The main reason is eventually I plan to integrate it into my steampunk camera (http://www.steampunkmike.org). Power drain when I'm using live view for hours at a time is an issue, and on the E-3, I've had the camera issue the overheating warning once or twice. If I move the display off to a remote screen, it should make the camera batteries last longer, and hopefully reduce the internal temperature enough that it won't overheat. Of course with an external monitor, it means I now have to carry batteries for the monitor as well as the camera.

In the steampunk setup, in addition to remote display, having a shutter release is a requirement. With the E-3 there is no issue, since the video out port is separate from the RM-CB1 shutter release port. However, with my E-P2 (along with most of the DSLR and Pen cameras) has a combined port that can either do USB I/O, shutter release (RM-UC1) or video out. Unfortunately, Olympus has never come out with a combined Y cable that allows you to do video out and shutter release at the same time. You can build such a combined cable, but I'm not that good at cable splicing (http://www.nolonemo.com/files/E520Cable/E520Cable.htm). Instead, I would use a film mechanical shutter release that I attached over the shutter with velcro.

It is somewhat annoying that on the Pens, Olympus put the cable out in the right hand side where you grip the camera, instead of the left side or under the LCD where it had been for other Olympus cameras.

Note, the video that Olympus puts out in the analog video out is only at QVGA resolution (320x240). For me, this isn't an issue as long as I make sure the external monitor can handle the resolution. However, if you were to plug the external video feed to a large screen TV, it would be rather blocky.

Even though Olympus has a HDMI port and that would be nice for live view output on large screens, Olympus will automatically switch the camera to review mode whenever you plug in an HDMI cable. Evidently, the Panasonic G-H2 can do live view via HDMI, but not on Olympus cameras.

So in my quest, my first attempt at a live view monitor was the Wolverine MyMovie pocket video camera. The MyMovie camera is one of the few of the pocket video cameras that take live view input, once I got the appropriate cables. However, the MyMovie uses a proprietary battery, and it has been my experience that proprietary batteries are hard to come by after the product is no longer being made (I bought it at an ebay clearance site, so it was clear that it was on the way out). The battery issue could be worked around by having an external battery feed it power through the USB port that it uses for charging, except the device believes it is connected to a pc, if you connect a USB cable when it is turned on.

I recently found a MP4 video player that takes video in (JXD 969). The older model that I got uses a standard cell phone battery (Nokia 5C) that my previous cell phone used, so I already had some spares. However, it only does video out, and with the E-P2, I would need to use my mechanical shutter release, and it would be nice to get a combined unit.

Right now, I am aware of 6 devices that combine live view video and shutter release that support the cameras that use the RM-UC1 shutter release. Except for the Yongnuo, all of the units seem to take proprietary batteries, and I have not noticed any of the sellers actually sell batteries, which is a turn off to me, though I imagine you can use an external battery that provides 5 volts for cell phone charging. None of these support the E-3 or E-5 that use the RM-CB1 (except the Hahnel):

• The Yongnuo device (http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=242) that I bought: It takes Nokia 5C batteries (like the JXD 969), and is the cheapest device. Just before buying it, I discovered it used a 2.5mm cable, so it may be possible to hack an E-3 version. The normal price is usually $100, but I found an ebay seller (digital-winway) that sells it for $70.
    • Aputure Gigtube (http://www.aputure.com/en/product/gi...te_control.php) has a slightly more expensive wired model. The display has a stand and rotates. You can also put it in a flash shoe. The manufacturer claims a run time of about 3 hours. The usual price is around $150.
    • Aputure Gigtube also makes a wireless version (http://www.aputure.com/en/product/gi...viewfinder.php). Like the wired version, it only supports Olympus RM-UC1. No specification is given for battery life, and presumably you need two batteries, one for the receiver, and one for the transmitter.
    • Phottix Hector wired remote (http://www.phottix.com/en/wired-remo...ew-remote.html). You can get this from the Phottix site or in Europe, but it doesn't seem to be available in the US or on ebay. The price is about $100.
    • Phottix Hero wireless remote (http://www.phottix.com/en/wireless-r...ss-remote.html). The price is about $450.
    • Hahnel Inspire wireless live view remote (http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=...s&id=65&pId=65). Now, this model doesn't officially support Olympus, but I've read that if you buy the Hahnel Olympus wired shutter release, which includes cables to support both the RM-CB1 cameras (E-3, E-5) and the RM-UC1 cameras (most of the rest), that it plugs into the Insire. The normal cost is around $300, for both the wireless unit and the wired shutter release.

Note in terms of compatibility, the wired devices were evidently designed when the E-520 and E-420 were the current cameras, so the manufacturer will only list the E-4xx and E-5xx cameras as being compatible. The wireless devices were designed shortly afterwards, and list the E-30 and E-620 as being compatible. None of them list the Pens as being compatible, though most of the Pens are compatible. The only Pen that isn't compatible is the E-PL1, which does not support the wired shutter release. Older SP-5xx cameras also support the wired shutter release, though the recent models seem to lost the capability. The XZ-1 also supports the wired shutter release, and should be compatible with these units. I don't recall seeing Panasonic support in any of the devices, but I didn't really look closely.

So for me, the choice was the Yongnuo, primarily due to the battery issue as well as the cost. I bought it on August 26th, and paid $2 for faster shipping, and got it on September 6th (note the US labor day long weekend was in the middle of the shipping period). I just played around with it on my SP-550UZ and E-P2 cameras, but I haven't used it extensively.

The unit offers 4 modes:

• Normal shutter release, pressing the center button. Pressing the button 1/2 way acts like a 1/2 press of the shutter, and normally tells the camera to focus.
    • Single shot with 2 second delay. Given my cameras offer a delay in the camera, I'm not sure I would ever use this feature.
    • Bulb mode. Unlike the wired shutter release, for bulb mode you press the bulb setting once and then press it again to stop the shutter. When I tried it on the E-P2, I had the noise removal setting set to auto, so after it took the picture, it locked up for the same amount of time to do the dark frame noise elimination (camera takes a second picture with the lens closed for the same period of time as the main picture, and uses the dark frame to identify hot pixels).
    • Continuous firing with 2 second delay. As long as you hold the button, it will fire every two seconds. I originally had the E-P2 in sequential mode, and the Yongnuo caused it to fire off several shots immediately. When I changed the camera to single shot mode, it functioned normally. I was testing this in a room with poor illumination, and the E-P2 could not achieve a focus lock in under 2 seconds. If I shoot with it outdoors or use manual focus, it will be more useful.

I will need to get a LCD protector for the screen, which does show fingerprints. The viewing angle seems decent. I haven't used it in bright sunlight, but I imagine I will need some sort of sun shade.

Unlike the MyMovie and JXD devices that used a 4 connection 3.5mm plug, this camera uses a 4 connection 2.5mm plug. I need to track down some 2.5mm donor cables to see about hooking up the E-3 to it.

The one feature I like about the Aputure device is it has a base for mounting, but I imagine velcro on the back will allow me to mount it as needed.

[edit]
    I recall after writing this that the Hahnel has two separate connections on the body, one that appears to be a 3.5mm phono cable for video with 2 connections, and the other is a 3.5mm phono cable for shutter release with 3 connections (the Hahnel shutter release uses the 3.5mm phono cable). Thus it would be simple to add support for the E-3 and E-5, but for the cameras that take the RM-UC1 shutter release, you would have to build a combined cable. At one point, I bought the Phottix cable, since it does combine the two actions, but when I sliced it open, the wires were too thin for me to separate into the two functions. It might be possible to buy a 3 connection 3.5mm cable that has a female socket, and plug the Phottix cable into that, and then do the cable hacking.
    Last edited by Michael Meissner; 09-08-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Yongnuo LCD remote control live view f

I think I have a related problem. I keep seeing two SONY symbols in my rear view mirror...it's like a haunting dream, but one that occurs only in the daytime.

Am I too far gone for help?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Default Re: Yongnuo LCD remote control live view f

Found this thread through another post, but just wanted to say thanks for posting this. For my type of photography I don't really have any uses for this, but I know a few who could benefit from it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Yongnuo LCD remote control live view f

Quote Originally Posted by mclarenf3 View Post
    Found this thread through another post, but just wanted to say thanks for posting this. For my type of photography I don't really have any uses for this, but I know a few who could benefit from it.
    You are welcome. I'm glad it was helpful.