Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympus VF-3 Viewfinder

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Firmware update for Olympus VF-3 Viewfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Ronnie View Post
    I would be interested in knowing whether or not the AC-2 port makes a difference with the EPL-2, which I have.

Ron
    I think Michael already answered that for us. I have an E-PL2 as well, but I use the VF-2 instead of the VF-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    Note, the E-PL2 requires new firmware that was released on August 9th: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...tware/firm/e1/
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I would be interested in knowing whether or not the AC-2 port makes a difference with the EPL-2, which I have.

Ron
    If you find out, let me know. I'm planning to get an E-PL3 soon and this would be useful information: is the viewfinder just badly designed or is it camera-specific in the way it works?
    When in doubt ask yourself: "What would the Lone Ranger do?"

Olympus PEN E-PL1: 14-42mm & 40-150mm; Olympus PEN E-P3: 14-42mm II; Canon PowerShot SX130; good ole' Blackberry Torch!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by teepee12 View Post
    If you find out, let me know. I'm planning to get an E-PL3 soon and this would be useful information: is the viewfinder just badly designed or is it camera-specific in the way it works?
    So: has ANYONE that we know of bought and kept the VF-3? I put out feelers on other sites, but so far, I do not know of anyone who bought it, tried it, and kept it. Everyone returned it and got the other one.

I also bought the VF-2 and use it all the time; it's fine. Not loose at all and I can't imagine it falling out of the shoe. It's in there nice and solidly.

I'm sorry I haven't been monitoring this Forum like I had been, but I've been away a lot lately.

Olympus PEN E-PL1: 14-42mm & 40-150mm; Olympus PEN E-P3: 14-42mm II; Canon PowerShot SX130; good ole' Blackberry Torch!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Olympus VF-3 Viewfinder

Just learned one more interesting thing. This may be true of the VF-2 also, I do not know having never used it. HOWEVER, of you are using the built in flash and the VF (which is inevitable because you can't use the hot shoe for two accessories at once), you cannot shoot vertical shots. If you hold the camera vertically, the viewfinder casts a shadow that partially blocks the flash. Annoying, not fatal.
    I have not had problems with either the VF-3 or VF-2 on vertical shots with flash. I did have trouble ... until I realized it was not the flash but where I was putting my hand.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ron
    The reports overall on this product from users are discouraging. At best, it works, but it is optically challenged.

I wish they'd stop diddling around and put a viewfinder into the camera body!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've been trying to get an answer to the question whether or not this works better with the PL2 or PL3 than with the PL1 and have yet to get an answer from anyone. Maybe you will be the one who answers it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I kept it for use with my E-PL3, I'm not overly impressed with it either and my initial response was to send it back and exchange it for the VF2 but I got use to it and it is only an occasional use device, I bought it online so would have had to pay to ship it back and then more shipping for the VF2 to be sent so I decided to just keep it. But in hindsite wish I'd ordered the VF2 in the first instance, compared to the excellent EVF of the G3 the VF3 is not very good.

Paul
    G5, GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25.
    RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This might help. See Helen's post in particular.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...9335845&page=1

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Re: Olympus VF-3 Viewfinder

This might help. See Helen's post in particular.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...9335845&page=1

Ron
    Okay, what I know for 100% is:

On the PL1 for me wearing regular eyeglasses I couldn't see anything clearly enough to focus manually, period. The color was so faded it looked almost monochrome. I tried it in bright sunlight and it was nominally brighter, but still not sufficiently sharp to focus. It was useless indoors regardless of light.

Considering that the difference in price is about $75 or less if the VF2 is on sale, settling for the low quality VF3 seems a poor trade. And at least on the PL1, it is, in my opinion, worthless. That's why I asked how it worked on the PL2 and PL3 (and on the P2 and P3 too).

Apparently somewhat better.

My VF2 is nice and snug, no problem and it is clear in bright and low light. The color is slightly less intense than it is on the LCD, but minimally. We ALL would like a built in viewfinder and it aggravates me that you can't get one, but there are a lot of things I like about Olympus as a camera and as a company, so I'll stick with it. I really love my PL1, by the way ... and it was very reasonably priced as were the lenses.

IMHO: compromising the quality of optics on a VIEWFINDER is a really stupid decision on Olympus' part. What is a viewfinder about if not optics? you may all do as you choose with your own money, obviously, but i cannot see that the $75 difference between the two finders is a deal breaker if one if significantly better at doing what a viewfinder is designed to do: VIEW THE SCENE so you can frame and focus.

If it doesn't do that, indoors or out, with or without sunglasses and/or eyeglasses, it isn't worth anything at all.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

After all is said and when weighing the pros and cons of each I finally settled on the VF-2. Knowing that it might come off easily I also bought a lens cap tether.

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Smile Re: Olympus VF-3 Viewfinder

I'm really pleased with the VF-2 and haven't had it feel the least bit loose on my PL-1. I just got the P3 for Christmas (yay) and have moved it to that camera where it feels nice and tight also. Happy holidays to you all!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm really pleased with the VF-2 and haven't had it feel the least bit loose on my PL-1. I just got the P3 for Christmas (yay) and have moved it to that camera where it feels nice and tight also. Happy holidays to you all!
    Congrats on both the VF-2 and E-P3! Both excellent products!
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I use the VF-2 with my XZ-1 and it is not loose either. I carry the cam with VF in my pants pocket (not a tight jeans) and the VF stays in place.