Thread: Macro MC7 Vs Olympus OM Auto Macro Extension Tube Set?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

Default Macro MC7 Vs Olympus OM Auto Macro Extension Tube Set?

I am trying to find the difference but still have not found the answer. I want to understand first before I complete my macro equipment

What is the difference between:
    TELEPLUS MACRO MC7 2x Converter for OLYMPUS OM-1 OM-4 and Olympus OM Auto Macro Extension Tube Set?

What distinguishes the macro with the extension MC7 2x 7.14 and 25? what difference would result from using the second device?

I am trying to find the difference but still have not found the answer. I want to understand first before I complete my macro equipment

Thanks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: Macro MC7 Vs Olympus OM Auto Macro Extension Tube Set?

I'm not familiar with the teleplus 2x but any 2x doubled the focal length of the mounted lens. The auto macro extension tube is just a spacer between the lens and the lens mount. It makes the lens focus closer at the expense of infinity focus. The auto part meant that the auto aperture stop-down mechanism worked through the extension tube.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I'm not familiar with the teleplus 2x but any 2x doubled the focal length of the mounted lens. The auto macro extension tube is just a spacer between the lens and the lens mount. It makes the lens focus closer at the expense of infinity focus. The auto part meant that the auto aperture stop-down mechanism worked through the extension tube.

Mikel,

Thanks for your respond, so what you trying to say is:
    -The 2x teleplus is to dobled the focal length (meaning we can use any kind of focal length and multiply by 2)

-extension tube is to bring the focus closer to infinity and the special object extension tube 7, 14 and 25 is an enlarged unit multiplier? Did very well if I conclude this?

The larger the size of the extension will also focus closer to the object and the difference 7; 14/25 it is the enlargement of an object that will get?
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A good source for information on OM macro gear made by Olympus is:
    http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/index.html

There were two types of extension tubes made by Olympus for the OM cameras, the auto tubes and the non-auto tubes. If you are using them on an Olympus digital camera it really doesn't make a difference which ones you use. Another option for macro work using OM lenses is the telescopic auto tube 65-116. These are hard to find and are fairly pricey (for an extension tube) but give you an extension range of 65mm to 116mm. http://www.alanwood.net/photography/...auto-tube.html

You can also get third-party extension tube sets from companies like Fotodiox.

You can also check out http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...uiko/index.htm
    for information on all the OM lenses including the macro line and
    http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html
    for a good listing of the various OM lenses and accessories.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

Cool Re: Macro MC7 Vs Olympus OM Auto Macro Extension Tube Set?

Quote Originally Posted by saburns View Post
    A good source for information on OM macro gear made by Olympus is:
    http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/index.html

There were two types of extension tubes made by Olympus for the OM cameras, the auto tubes and the non-auto tubes. If you are using them on an Olympus digital camera it really doesn't make a difference which ones you use. Another option for macro work using OM lenses is the telescopic auto tube 65-116. These are hard to find and are fairly pricey (for an extension tube) but give you an extension range of 65mm to 116mm. http://www.alanwood.net/photography/...auto-tube.html

You can also check out http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...uiko/index.htm
    for information on all the OM lenses including the macro line and
    http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html
    for a good listing of the various OM lenses and accessories.

Thanks saburn,will read it and yes I just heard from you about auto tube 65-116

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Declan79 View Post
    Yes. That seems like it is a little on the high side for price but they are hard to find. Also looks like that one may be missing the caps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Yes, that BIN is pretty steep. Also missing the tripod mount however the description says it is included..... who knows.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default Olympus OM Auto Macro Extension Tube

Yes, that BIN is pretty steep. Also missing the tripod mount however the description says it is included..... who knows.
    Yes, the description says the tripod mount is included. There's a phone number for the dealer, who wants to buy gear. Sounds like a KEH type of used gear dealer.
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

Quote Originally Posted by saburns View Post
    Yes. That seems like it is a little on the high side for price but they are hard to find. Also looks like that one may be missing the caps.

i wonder can it be use together? the 2x with one of 14/25 extention?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

The short answer, it depends. How well it works is another matter but it wouldn't hurt to experiment. CAUTION: Some of the lenses have projecting glass or parts that may cause damage.
    February Photos
    March photos

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

The short answer, it depends. How well it works is another matter but it wouldn't hurt to experiment. CAUTION: Some of the lenses have projecting glass or parts that may cause damage.
    MIkel,

Thanks for your respond, to make it more obvious this is the goods that i mean can it both work together :
    Olympus Auto Extension Tube 25 with MC7 2x Auto Teleconverter for Olympus OM? i can see that the tube doesn't have a glass, so this is refered to the teleconverter?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Shouldn't be a problem with that combo. Just be careful.

The bellows macro lenses would require at least 14mm extension, perhaps more. I'd have to check. I know that the 50mm f1.2 has a protruding element and there are a few more with limitations.
    February Photos
    March photos

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

Shouldn't be a problem with that combo. Just be careful.

The bellows macro lenses would require at least 14mm extension, perhaps more. I'd have to check. I know that the 50mm f1.2 has a protruding element and there are a few more with limitations.
    yes mikel, read on the link that 25mm ext with zuiko om 50/1.8 or even 3.5 will get near 1:1 ratio, interesting to try