Thread: The A - TEAM Lumber Jacks

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default The A - TEAM Lumber Jacks

In a day 3 trees cut and shredded 2 standing damaged 1 on ground !Some survived with just a pruning like the sad maple cover in snow .Out of power 5 days some places longer , much work to do. Cheers Pete
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: The A - TEAM Lumber Jacks

Quote Originally Posted by Petephoto1 View Post
    In a day 3 trees cut and shredded 2 standing damaged 1 on ground !Some survived with just a pruning like the sad maple cover in snow .Out of power 5 days some places longer , much work to do. Cheers Pete
    It is good to hear you got your power back. Storms in December, I expect. I can even tolerate storms around Thanksgiving, but wet heavy snow before Halloween when a lot of trees still had their fall leaves, is not what I want to deal with.

We got our power back on Wednesday. It was the first time I've had to use the generator that I had the house wired for in 2009, and I discovered that I forgot to wire the electronic thermostat control, so even though the boiler was powered, we had no heat. My wife was heartbroken to find her dogwood tree, which we planted 7-10 years ago and was just starting to be real lovely in the spring got split, and we need to get the guys to clean up the trees that might be a problem to the house.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: The A - TEAM Lumber Jacks

Mike , Oil , gas or electric thermostat control for heat ? Mine is on gas 2 wires to set heat temperature and to run circulating pump , could run with out it but uses more gas to radiate heat through pipe s. My generator ran like a top (8000 watts) but had a slight knock , so I change the spark plug and replaced prescreen and air filter , oil change was done before the storm but needs it again after 5 days of use. That sound though could be water in the carb bowl , cause a lot of stations were close to out of gas and not sure they pump water out of their tanks , so you get a mix of water " bottom feed " . Going to pull carb bowl and dry out carb put gas in a class glass shot glass to see . Could use dry gas , but I tried this star tron stuff but I do not think it works on water much . Sorry about you wifes dogwood get her another , very strange storm Mike for the time of year ? Pete
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: The A - TEAM Lumber Jacks

Quote Originally Posted by Petephoto1 View Post
    Mike , Oil , gas or electric thermostat control for heat ? Mine is on gas 2 wires to set heat temperature and to run circulating pump , could run with out it but uses more gas to radiate heat through pipe s. My generator ran like a top (8000 watts) but had a slight knock , so I change the spark plug and replaced prescreen and air filter , oil change was done before the storm but needs it again after 5 days of use. That sound though could be water in the carb bowl , cause a lot of stations were close to out of gas and not sure they pump water out of their tanks , so you get a mix of water " bottom feed " . Going to pull carb bowl and dry out carb put gas in a class glass shot glass to see . Could use dry gas , but I tried this star tron stuff but I do not think it works on water much . Sorry about you wifes dogwood get her another , very strange storm Mike for the time of year ? Pete
    We have oil heat, and the heater itself was powered, as was the water pump. When we had the killer ice storm 2 years ago and lost power for 10 days, we lost the water pump and eventually had to put in a new well. In the 22 years we've lived here, we've lost power for 5+ days during winter conditions at least 3 times now.

When we were threatened with floods cutting off the power last year, I had an electrician come in and wire part of the house for using a generator. I had to decide what to power and what not, and I made sure about heat and water. However, as I said, I missed the fact that the control for the heater is in a part of the house that was not covered by the generator. FWIW, I discovered the generator I got goes about 10 gallons of gas per 24 hour cycle. I will need to get a few more gas cans so that if need be, I can last a few days without going out.

In a week or two, once things get back to normal, and I won't have to pay higher emergency rates, I will have the electrician come in and see about providing power to the refrigerator (I just moved it out and plugged it into an extension cord, but it would be nice not to have to do that), heating control, and the outlet the main phone is plugged into. These little things you find out about only after trying to use the system.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Since we are trading photos of the generators heres mine . I started it around 330 in the afternoon and ran it all night long it was going . The umbrella is for keeping snow or water off the area of the air filter.Pete
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Yep looks like around here Pete. somehow we managed to not lose power.. I usually do even in thunderstorms.. was out 6 days in the hurricane.. but this time all I lost was internet for a day.. then last night, some idiot decided to cut a big oak tree down by himself in his front yard and took down 2 poles and landed it straight across a major road, was out for 10 hours and phones still down.. he was luck he didn't kill someone, and the wires started a few other trees on fire too think he knocked out about 5000 houses
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/