Thread: Did someone ever used mirror lens?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Did someone ever used mirror lens?

...does anyone have expirience with mirror lenses?
    Frend has M42 Rubinar 500mm/5.6 (only f5.6) lens in pretty good shape for cca 200$. For that money, I will also get 2x converter.
    With this converter and crop factor, it will give me 1600mm.
    Is it worth that money. Bundle also includes some 3 filters for sun and moon shooting (don's know specs).
    It looks like this:

It has tripod mount ring at the bottom.
    I never even knew that something like this even exists.
    Please few advices, thx.
    Nikon D80, Nikkor 18-35/3.5 AF, Nikkor 80-200/3.5 AF, Helios 44M2 2/58mm, MIR 10A 3.5/28mm, Jupiter 11A 4/135mm. Deviant profile

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: Did someone ever used mirror lens?

These 500mm mirror lenses are available all over the place, including new ones:

http://www.adorama.com/PRO50063OM.html

I don't know if the older Rubinar 500 5.6 is any better or worse than the others like it. Here is a post in a thread where the guy has the Rubinar 500 plus several others and discusses it briefly:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...r#post10063166

You can look around more in that thread for more thoughts about mirror lenses. Also try a search on this forum, because I know they have been discussed.

For the money, they are fun, and easy to carry. I don't think I'd be putting a 2x converter on one, however. They are already pretty soft.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I had a Minolta 500mm Mirror for a while. It was an fixed f8 lens, mostly worthless unless you are in harsh mid day sunlight. Also, tough to focus at f8 due to the low light.
    Sold it. Low contrast and soft photos where the main results.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." —John Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I've had one for over twenty years. I've used it maybe once or twice. I'd sell it, but it essentially has no value. It's better than nothing for what it was designed for... it's an inexpensive f/5.6 mirror telescope optic. If you keep that in mind it's fine. If you think it's going to perform as well as a brand-name 500mm optical lens, you're going to be disappointed. REALLY disappointed.
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Generically, they're fun to have and play with because of the long reach at minimal weight, size and price. In my limited experience only a few are capable of good image quality and the majority are not.

They place a heavy emphasis on a good viewfinder and focusing screen. I literally cannot focus mine (500/8) through my E-510 finder, but can on the E-30 and E-5. Oly IBIS is a huge help, of course, if you want to handhold or use on a monopod.

I don't know this brand--probably a generic house brand name made by one of the big optical houses.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Save your $$ to invest in some good glass.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sizif View Post
    ... For that money, I will also get 2x converter.
    ... Please few advices, thx.
    1.6x crop factor? Are you shooting with a Canon APS-C camera?

For real reach and an advantage in telephoto, get an Olympus camera. With a 2x converter and that 70-300 mm lens, or better yet the 300 mm f/.2.8, get 1200 mm equivalent focal length.
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Find a Tokina 400mm F5.6 SD instead. Excellent legacy glass for the money.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Robb

Cool Re: Did someone ever used mirror lens?

I love mine with my Oly E-420, I sue with a x2 also, get some wicked shots

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The Rubinar 500 f/5.6 (exposes more like f/6.5 or so) by trusted reports (Jens Birch/Jebir) is a very good performer IF you are willing to get inside and relax the retaining rings on the optical elements. Most problems with these lenses are due to 'pinched' optics. Many of the old threads on this lens here are archived and I don't know how to link to them but if you do a search on Jebir and Rubinar you will get a few threads that should be of interest to you. The $200 price may be just a little high (used to sell for $230 new), but if you're the least bit handy and unafraid of tinkering around I would pick it up and give it a go.

Also search for threads in the photos section by 3dpan (Alec) who has a 500 Rubinar that I believe he relaxed the optics on... some good results on his part also.

Fred

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I just don't think the cheaper mirror lenses have the optical chops to make them worth using (I have a cheap one and the optics are "meh" at best). That said, I don't know anything about the Rubinars. If I were going the mirror lens route, I would spend the extra coin for an Olympus or the latest Nikkor 500mm.
    Last edited by olddigiman; 01-06-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Frend has M42 Rubinar 500mm/5.6 (only f5.6) lens in pretty good shape for cca 200$. For that money, I will also get 2x converter.
    Is it worth that money. Bundle also includes some 3 filters for sun and moon shooting (don's know specs).
    It looks like this:

It has tripod mount ring at the bottom.
    I never even knew that something like this even exists.
    Please few advices, thx.
    Yup, I've used one, and I've still got one, a F8/500mm reflex. In fact, I've got two similar (not Rubinar) unused ones, in unopened packages, with a set of filters, and with a couple of different T2 adapters, if someone is interested. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

Hard to say whether it's worth the money or not. Probably not. Looks like 200 Canoocki Dollah is about 153 €ugenes or 195 Obama Dollah. Not that bad, but not that great, either.

The RF telephoto is indeed a bit of an oddball as a photo lens. They are short in size, usually quite light, too, but notoriously slow lenses, with no aperture, which means you're stuck with the full aperture, which is typically around F5.6 or F8.

They can be fun on bright weather days, when shooting something hard to reach with traditional shorter lenses. You've also get a cool circular bokeh, which can be a nice effect at times. Or slightly annoying, too, depending on the picture and the viewer. The 500mm RF you've been offered would make a slow but lightweight telephoto lens equivalent of a 1000mm reach in the 35mm terms. It won't be a supersharp one, though.

They are reasonably easy to use and focus even with a typical Olympus dslr or a PEN screen, provided that you're used to manual focus, the subject is far enough, and there's enough light to focus. F/5.6 is not that bad, but you'l still have to save it for the bright enough days.

All in all they're sort of fun, sort of quirky, sort of useless, too, in many cases. So whether or not that's worth the 200 canoockians, only you can tell. I probably wouldn't bother. But then again, I've already got one as a 'toy', so...

PS.
    The Rubinar is likely to come with a T2 adapter as standard, which in this case is a 42mm version. If you plan on buying the thing, you might want to check that out. If you plan on using it with a 4/3 or µ4/3 body, you might want to buy a (µ)4/3 T2 adapter (around $15), which you then screw in instead of that 42mm version. If you'd go for a (µ)4/3 m42 adapter instead, you'd end up with two separate adapters between the lens and the body, and focusing to infinity might become a bit funky. It may be like that with just one adapter, anyway, so you'd better be prepared for that. Harmless but slightly annoying.
    Canikon or Sonympus? -Who cares, as long as it works.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

You do NOT want to put a 2X converter on this beast! Even the best Catadioptric lenses were merely adequate. And this is a budget lens from the 'get-go'
    Glen Barrington
    Cheese Whiz

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have a Zuiko 500mmF8.
    You need a very high shutter speed to get a good result, and a good result is possible. I would not even consider a converter as well though. Atmospheric coditions become a factor and the combo with a 2x crop factor will be virtually unworkable.
    My Zuiko in fact is far better on my 1D3 with a 1.3x factor compared with my E-3 with a 2x factor.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

He will borrow it to me for few days when my adapter comes.
    @whaleshark
    At the time, no, i don't have Oly anymore. Sold it about a month ago.
    Planning to buy pen 1 for my girl ..and for me
    Nikon D80, Nikkor 18-35/3.5 AF, Nikkor 80-200/3.5 AF, Helios 44M2 2/58mm, MIR 10A 3.5/28mm, Jupiter 11A 4/135mm. Deviant profile

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Beware of the famous ring bokeh!
    I'm glad someone brought that up. Mirror lens bokeh can be spectacularly bad.

But the same quality that creates the monsters above can be used artistically. See http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/56276981 .

I think a mirror lens could also be handy for unobtrusive long lens work where a big white lens might get you noticed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Interesting natives in the background
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've got a 600 f8 Tamron for OM that I've used a fair amount. On 4/3 it's a 1200 f8, of course, and absolutely must be used on a tripod or at least a monopod in anything but the absolutely brightest of light.

Depth of field is fundamentally razor-thin, which makes it a hard lens to work with. When focused, it's sharp as a tack, but atmospherics (distortion due to heat effects, especially in the summer, but other times as well) can be very tough on imaging from these lenses.

They are tiny, though. Makes a big difference traveling...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yup, looks like they're all from Planet Flugelhorn. A-oooo-ga.

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Interesting natives in the background