Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving up from 510

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: Moving up from 510

Well, I thought we were talking about the OP options right now. Prices I quoted are current generous used value of the e510 and B&H price on new e5. If the OP has a closet full of 4:3's lenses then this would be considered in point b) above.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Succinctly would a e 620 show better results than than my e 510, rather than start over with a mirrorless system that might make more sense, that way I keep all the stuff I have, several lenses, remotes, etc.

the 620 has the 12 mgp sensor, more focus points, faster ISO

your thoughts?
    I went from an e-510 to an e-620. I liked the look of the e-620 images a lot better, especially in situations where there was a wide dynamic range. I have never been one to zoom in at 100% (or more) and pick apart images, I look at how the images look overall at normal viewing sizes. The e-510 is pretty bad for blowing out highlights. I also liked the additional focus points of the e-620. The articulating screen is nice. The AF on the e-620 absolutely sucks in low light, if you plan to use it in that capacity, I would not recommend it. When I first held my e-620 after having the e-510, I hated the way it felt in my hands. It is smaller and there isn't much to grip. I immediately ordered a battery grip for mine, which improved the handling a lot, but negated one of its biggest selling points (small and lightweight). With the current price of e-30 bodies and e-3 bodies, I would look at one of those if you want to upgrade or get an e-5. The e-510 is a pretty decent camera. What you get in terms of image quality from upgrading isn't huge, but the handling of the e-X and e-XX bodies is much better than the e-XXX bodies.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Succinctly would a e 620 show better results than than my e 510, rather than start over with a mirrorless system that might make more sense, that way I keep all the stuff I have, several lenses, remotes, etc.

the 620 has the 12 mgp sensor, more focus points, faster ISO

your thoughts?
    Going back to the original question, the E-620 would be a clear upgrade. There's a resolution increase, a dynamic range boost, and improved high-ISO performance. The autofocus system takes some flak, but then I never really found the two side points on my E-410 or E-520 to be worth much - at least you get five cross-type focus points out of seven, compared with the single cross-type of the E-510. E-620's are good and cheap now, too. The only downside to going from an E-510 to an E-620 that I can think of is that they use different battery types. If you go to an E-30 instead, you can keep using the same batteries.

You mentioned mirrorless, which got me thinking some other things. With the exception of your 14-54mm and 30mm, the lenses you own are CD-AF compatible and will focus pretty quickly on 4/3 bodies. It's also a lot easier to focus manually with 4/3 bodies, due to the large screen and the ease with which you can magnify portions to really ensure sharp focus.

I'm curious: why did you say that the 30mm has been a disappointment? The reason I ask is because I own a 25mm f/1.4 that front-focused consistently on my E-520. It's CD-AF-capable, so I tried it out when I bought an E-P1 and was really pleased. CD-AF doesn't front- or back-focus (unless the camera screws up and chooses the wrong part of the scene to focus on, but even then it's technically not front- or back-focusing), so I was hitting the correct focus in nearly every shot. The 30mm is not CD-AF capable, so it would focus more slowly, but you'd get that same accuracy with a 4/3 body.

The E-620 does allow for focus adjustment of each lens, so if you've been having issues with the 30mm then you might be able to resolve it. However, I've heard stories where people could adjust for focus up close, but it was still out of whack for distant focus, and vice versa. The E-620 does have CD-AF support and allows for Live View focusing, but it's pretty cumbersome and drains the battery very quickly. The 4/3 cameras have a faster refresh rate, which makes manually focusing much easier.
    Flickr
    I shoot with more gear than my wife is happy with.