Thread: Do not trust them

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Do not trust them

Do not trust any aftermarket battery for E-M5 from Hongkong or China.

The new circuit on the original battery and the charger will not allow aftermarket charger to top it up.

Besides, no short circuit or over current protection too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Do not trust them

Best to wait a bit till proper batteries start rolling out.
    I hear there are some brand name ones hich work as well or better than OEM such as Wasabi.
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I stick with generics from the big camera retailers, as it at least implies they've sifted through the options and weeded out the dogs. So far, so good with my other cameras, although E-M5 options are as rare as E-M5s.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Until Olympus batteries show up I ordered an aftermarket one from China via Ebay. The seller emailed me to say that they have just discovered the battery would not charge in the Olympus charger, but would work in the camera. So did I want a refind or to buy a charger at a discount? So I said I would have a refund. The next email said do I want a free charger if I don't take the battery refund? So I said yes, I'll have a free charger. It appears quite a few people have been offered the same deal, so we'll see what happens.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Steve, I thought the battery you got is DSTE brand...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Steve, since you already accept their free charger instead of return and refund, then with no choice but I recommend you close monitor the battery when charging for the first few times at least, check whether it is warmer than usual when using it. (reports from Hongkong said that it is warmer than the original)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Just one person's opinion, but why would anyone risk a $1300 camera for the sake of a $12 battery, and one that was developed in a hurry?

It's more than just a battery, it's a power management system as well. I really don't want to use my new EM5 to become their beta tester. The penalty for error on their part is a dead EM5 and a hefty repair bill.

I'll wait for an official Oly battery to become available. If it goes haywire, I have a shot at getting Olympus to fix the damage that their battery did to their camera. If a no-name battery goes screwy, I have no recourse. Until then, I'll stick with the one battery that came with it.

Why didn't they include a battery with the grip? Cheapskates...
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
    Just one person's opinion, but why would anyone risk a $1300 camera for the sake of a $12 battery, and one that was developed in a hurry?
    Because last time I checked it wasn't possible to make photographs without a battery.

Is this new news, that the battery was developed in hurry? And what exactly is there to 'develop'. It will be a different plastic case and the same internals as some other battery already in production, just as the OEM battery will be. It was certainly advertised in a hurry without the correct wording, but it isn't unusual for third party batteries not to have the same circuitry as the OEM item, and therefore need a dedicated charger. It is simply what camera manufacturers do to screw more money out of the user, because lets face it, the Olympus battery probably costs less than $12 to manufacture. As such it is hard to comprehend the enthusiasm and superiority in panting at the shop door waiting to buy one. I'll feel like I have been well and truly ripped off when my spare OEM battery does finally arrive, especially as it may have been made in the same factory as the Ebay battery.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Steve, the price of the BLN-1 is the same as the BLS-1 for the PEN here in Hongkong

The new circuit is for new safety standard (the fourth contact), the fifth is for the control of which battery drain first if grip added-on.

Almost 40% of the retail price of Olympus battery goes to the dealer.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The BLN-1 is 60 in the UK (plus postage), the BLS-1 is 55, so with the same dealer markup Olympus are making the lions share.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    The BLN-1 is 60 in the UK (plus postage), the BLS-1 is 55, so with the same dealer markup Olympus are making the lions share.

Steve

60 in the UK is expensive, in Hongkong I got it at HK$400.- each (about 32)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Olympus accessories are rarely, if ever, discounted in the UK. That is the recommended retail price and that is what dealers charge. For instance the E3 BLM-1 battery is still 55 even after all these years.

On the up side I got a third party LH55B lens hood for the 12-50mm lens from China and it was 8 compared with over 50 for the Olympus hood, and it is a good solid piece of well made plastic as well. I feel confident it will not fry the circuit board.........

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No, they don't get discounted over here, either. And I'm still a bit miffed that they charged as much for the EM5 grip as they did, and didn't include the battery. Or include a hood with the 45 1.8.

It's probably just me, but I'll stick with Oly batteries. No compatibility issues, the same people that wrote the camera firmware also were involved in the battery power manager, so no reverse engineering and no guessing.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Is this new news, that the battery was developed in hurry? And what exactly is there to 'develop'. It will be a different plastic case and the same internals as some other battery already in production, just as the OEM battery will be. It was certainly advertised in a hurry without the correct wording, but it isn't unusual for third party batteries not to have the same circuitry as the OEM item, and therefore need a dedicated charger. It is simply what camera manufacturers do to screw more money out of the user, because lets face it, the Olympus battery probably costs less than $12 to manufacture. ...
    maybe, maybe not.

I buy only OEM batteries now, having had many issues with aftermarket batteries (actual capacity much lower than advertised, short life, poor charging characteristics, etc etc etc). The aftermarket BLM-01 batteries I've tried were the deciding factor ... NONE of them lasted as long as the Olympus branded batteries, either in shots per charge or overall life span.

Ok, a Leica M9 battery is $129 and an aftermarket battery is $40. I'd pay the $90 for the peace of mind that says "this is the factory OEM part and Leica warranties it in case of any issues with either the battery or the camera I power with it."

Others rail on about the rip off. To me, it's a false economy, like buying the cheapest memory cards or having film processed at the cheapest photofinisher.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Exactly my sentiments. None of my aftermarket BLM1's lasted very long. Mixed in with three others is the BLM1 that came with my E1, bought back in... 2005? Still working fine.

I suppose the battery is a bit of a stiff, but the more I use it, the more I'm thinking the EM5 itself is very aggressively priced. They could easily have tacked another $300 onto the price, and it would have been worth it.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Past battery woes have convinced me to stay with OEM batteries.

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

On another forum, some E-M5 owners have been reporting the factory original battery has been discharging overnight while in the camera. So even the factory battery may be having some manufacturing issues (though folks aren't sure yet if these discharging problems will also occur when the factory battery is stored overnight out of the camera).
    E-1, E-PL1, E-M5

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by M4/3 View Post
    On another forum, some E-M5 owners have been reporting the factory original battery has been discharging overnight while in the camera. So even the factory battery may be having some manufacturing issues (though folks aren't sure yet if these discharging problems will also occur when the factory battery is stored overnight out of the camera).
    How fast it discharge?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

When the E3 was released I got a couple of Uniross aftermarket BLM-1 batteries and they are still going strong, while the Olympus BLM-1 has long since expired.

But the concept of false economy does work both ways. OK you save money on a third party battery, but if it is the only battery you can get anyway it isn't false economy if you can carry on taking pictures (if the pictures are the important thing in this). A long day out costs money to get to where you want to go, and you invest time and effort in the job at hand, and Olympus wastes that money and effort by sending you home early because the battery ran down and there are no spares available to buy. As such as a backup battery $12 may be wasted, but it ain't as much of a waste as the petrol.

Godfrey, I agree with you about the M9 battery situation, but yet again when the M9 was released there were no available Leica batteries for six months, I orderd one when I collected my camera. Again I wasn't going to be held ransom, so I got a couple of aftermarket batteries and they worked fine as backups in extremis if you knew the workarounds to make the battery level indicator work. But ultimately they get put to one side because it is a pain to use them when an OEM does the job better. I fully expect the spare for the E-M5 to go the same way, right to the back of the drawer when I can get an OEM battery, so it isn't a long term plan and as such I don't see how 'false economy' comes into it. Of course some countries will get supplies of OEM batteries before others.........but that is another issue.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Steve, I do agree with you.

If the third party works well, that is fine (apart if it against the copy right or not in some countries), if the third party is not up to standard and not safe, it is a bad thing to experience.