Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Om-d - Omg! :)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up Om-d - Omg! :)

Received the camera along with 12, 12-50 and 45mm kit lenses.
    I also have borrowed Panny 20mm 1.7

Guys at Olympus were so kind to send me few goodies - E-system photo vest, small reflector and a lady (!) bag

Bag is actually pretty cool and practical if you don't mind the design which is a bit, hmmm... girly

What can I say?

This is by far the best camera I've used - it is that good.

AF is lightening fast, even in low light turning the AF illuminator off. IBIS in video is absolutely stunning, providing footage similar to steady cam.
    Lenses are pretty cool too.. I thought I'd hate the 12-50mm, but so far it seems better than expected. Ok, it's not as good as 12 or 45mm obviously, but it's surprisingly good in between and works great in macro and video.

AWB is also amazing, but it was pretty good on latest Pens too.

I brought the camera to our photo club meeting and people were very interested and thrilled with it, few of them are even thinking about getting rid of their 5Dmk2 rigs because they're sick of hauling it around.

Here are some images I took today.

12-50mm @25mm (full size)

12-50mm @50mm (full size)

Macro mode with 12-50mm

45mm (full size)

Great dynamic range with low sun illuminating the church tower and half of the scene in deep shadow

C-AF is also surprisingly good (I set viewfinder response to fast giving 120Hz refresh) plus C-AF works with face detection.

These 2 images were taken as my friend was walking towards me at a relatively fast pace and I was pretty close so DoF was minimal.
    In both shots AF was spot on.

ISO3200, focus was bit off - on the glasses (f/1.8, 1/80s, ISO3200)

ISO3200 (f/1.8, 1/40s)
    Last edited by Mar; 05-08-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Om-d - Omg! :)

lucky, lucky man--even scored the 12. Enjoy your scarce and lovely new camera!

Rick

Living in a boat on the San Francisco Bay
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Congrats on your new camera, and the lovely photos. I'm quite jealous! Looks like Oly has really hit a home run this time.
    E-1 (!), e-410, e-510, 9-18 14-42, 40-150, 50 macro, ex-25, 12-60 swd, 70-300, FL-36r, Velbon 443 boom tripod, Redged RTA-320 mini tripod.
    http://technopeasant.org

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks
    I figured that if I was getting into m43, I'd better go in properly heh.
    Besides, Panasonic lenses are very hard to get here and difference between prices is nowhere near as big as in USA (reason a lot of people there opt for 14mm over 12mm).

Here are couple of more fun pics:

Compared in size to OM-4Ti and Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone.
    Cheers,
    Marin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You have friends?

These 2 images were taken as my friend was walking towards me at a relatively fast pace and I was pretty close so DoF was minimal.
    In both shots AF was spot on.

ISO3200, focus was bit off - on the glasses (f/1.8, 1/80s, ISO3200)

ISO3200 (f/1.8, 1/40s)
    [/quote]

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Had my OMD for about two weeks now. It is a little powerhouse. Not really a fair comparison, but compared to my E3... this is like having handcuffs taken off. Where other Oly bodies in general were weak: ISO, resolution, banding, low light AF, this one shines. The IS system really does work. It's not just obsoleting OIS, in my case it may well be obsoleting the tripod. And my HG ZD's work surprisingly well on it.

They have a real winner here.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Mar

I see you have an E-5...

So between the E-5 and EM-5, who is the best ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olympusman View Post
    Mar

I see you have an E-5...

So between the E-5 and EM-5, who is the best ?
    It's just different. Big plus to E5 is that you can mount all those amazing ZD lenses and use them natively (and ergonomically correct) and it's bigger so it's easier to use/handle.

M5 smokes it for pretty much everything else: lot better sensor, faster and 100% accurate AF, 9FPS burst, much smaller size, much better video, live IS.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Hi Mar,
    I saw a video demo of the 14-54 and 50-200 on the OM-D and they took a LONG time to focus, but the test was being done inside. Love to hear how your 4/3 lenses work on the new baby in the real world.
    Don't know about that, but I'm not interested in using 4/3rds glass on M5, it defeats the purpose of such camera IMO.

There are some lenses which work pretty well as long as you don't need really fast AF and are ok with the size combo (new kit lenses, 14-54mm II, 70-300mm and 25mm 2.8), others work too if don't mind waiting 2 seconds or so to autofocus.

More M5 impressions (I will just call it that in the future because E-M5 is too complicated to write and pronounce ):

IS doesn't affect images in a negative way at all which is great, on faster shutter speeds, there's no visible difference between IS being of or on.
    This is a huge improvement over previous models where IS can reduce sharpness.

9 FPS along with bracketing is amazing, one negative about bracketing is that you can't have direct fast access (only through the menu), but I set FN1 button to act as a MY MODE 1 which I set to 5F 1EV bracketing so by holding the button you will enter bracketing mode and by releasing it you're back to your previously used settings.

It's pretty nice.

5F 1EV bracketing handheld

I imagine you can use 3F which will be done in just 0.3 seconds enabling very easy exposure bracketing in a lot of scenarios.

Dynamic range is amazing, highlight handling is superb and it's pretty good in shadows too. I can't imagine a scene in which you're going to have problems with DR.

Color signature is great too, reminds me of E-1
    Cheers,
    Marin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This camera is just amazing.
    Just got back using it a bit outdoors at night.

AF is unbelievable, it can focus in almost pitch black that you can barely see (f2, 1sec ISO3200 conditions).

Quick snap of a friend in horrible mixed light.

ISO6400, 1/30s, f1.8
    Cheers,
    Marin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    AF is unbelievable, it can focus in almost pitch black that you can barely see (f2, 1sec ISO3200 conditions).
    That's actually one area where I think Olympus is still lagging Panasonic a bit. The E-M5 is OK in low light, but definitely feels a little slower and less sure-footed than the GH2.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bg2b View Post
    That's actually one area where I think Olympus is still lagging Panasonic a bit. The E-M5 is OK in low light, but definitely feels a little slower and less sure-footed than the GH2.
    Not sure which settings did you use and which lenses.
    I'm using MSC lenses (f1.8 and f2) and I find it to be extremely reliable and pretty quick in really low light.

There's a trick with the EVF - if the framerate is set to High, it will focus faster in good to low light, but in really low light you would want to use Normal because it provides more gain to the sensor and it's able to see in the dark better.
    Cheers,
    Marin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    Not sure which settings did you use and which lenses.
    I'm using MSC lenses (f1.8 and f2) and I find it to be extremely reliable and pretty quick in really low light.

There's a trick with the EVF - if the framerate is set to High, it will focus faster in good to low light, but in really low light you would want to use Normal because it provides more gain to the sensor and it's able to see in the dark better.
    I've got the EVF frame rate on normal, and I noticed it the phenomenon with the 45/1.8. The E-M5 is definitely usable, but it seems to need more contrast, and takes longer to find or confirm focus than the GH2. Probably it's just that the GH2 in exceptionally good in low light.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bg2b View Post
    I've got the EVF frame rate on normal, and I noticed it the phenomenon with the 45/1.8. The E-M5 is definitely usable, but it seems to need more contrast, and takes longer to find or confirm focus than the GH2. Probably it's just that the GH2 in exceptionally good in low light.
    I read somewhere else that setting the picture mode to VIVID, it has better contrast & that effects the focussing too. If you save jpeg & RAW, then you can be covered, except the colours might be more saturated than desired in the saved jpeg.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M5 with HLD-6, E30 with HLD-4, E520.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-42, ZD40-150, ZD70-300, ZD14-54 II, ZD35 macro, EC14, EX25, OM50 1.8, OM28 2.8, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50. Other: Soligor bellows & adapters. Velbon Sherpa 600R tripod.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    I read somewhere else that setting the picture mode to VIVID, it has better contrast & that effects the focussing too. If you save jpeg & RAW, then you can be covered, except the colours might be more saturated than desired in the saved jpeg.
    This is what I've done with both my E-P1 and my E-30. In both cases, I have to agree with your assessment. Using VIVID in the jpeg, I generally am fine just going with the jpeg, and can ignore the RAW. There are occasions, however, when the jpeg was over-saturated, and I had to use the RAW. But I would say that this is true at most 1 out of 10 times, but maybe closer to 1-3 times out of a hundred. The color red seems to be the biggest culprit. Also, I've been surprised with how well the latest iPhoto renders my Oly raw files. It handles them much better than older versions did.

-Jon

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JonInKrakow View Post
    This is what I've done with both my E-P1 and my E-30. In both cases, I have to agree with your assessment. Using VIVID in the jpeg, I generally am fine just going with the jpeg, and can ignore the RAW. There are occasions, however, when the jpeg was over-saturated, and I had to use the RAW. But I would say that this is true at most 1 out of 10 times, but maybe closer to 1-3 times out of a hundred. The color red seems to be the biggest culprit. Also, I've been surprised with how well the latest iPhoto renders my Oly raw files. It handles them much better than older versions did.

-Jon
    The main point of using VIVD was for more reliable focusing (in darker situations) & that it applies to PENs, OM-D & also Panasonic cameras too (so I've been led to believe & other brands too), as the visual output (or so it seems) is tied to the focusing system in these cameras. This does not apply to using Live View in the E30 though (that I can tell).
    Ross
    Lenses: M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-42, ZD40-150, ZD70-300, ZD14-54 II, ZD35 macro, EC14, EX25, OM50 1.8, OM28 2.8, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50. Other: Soligor bellows & adapters. Velbon Sherpa 600R tripod.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

I personally don't believe that changing to VIVID will change anything related to AF performance, as I expect the AF works on the RAW output from the sensor.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    I personally don't believe that changing to VIVID will change anything related to AF performance, as I expect the AF works on the RAW output from the sensor.
    I'm not asking you to believe it as it was mentioned on one of the other forums (I can't remember which one now) & all I can suggest is try it in low light where you may not achieve focus when picture mode is set to Natural & then try VIViD. See if it makes a difference. Apparently the other guys thought it made a difference as they thought the focus lock must be using the jpeg output or something like that.
    Ross

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The main point of using VIVD was for more reliable focusing (in darker situations) & that it applies to PENs, OM-D & also Panasonic cameras too
    Oops. Got my threads crossed... I'll have to try it, but color me sceptic from the start, but since I've been using VIVID for ages, I'll have to turn it off first to compare. I suppose that if the camera is focusing off of what the actual EVF is displaying, it might help, but if it is taking from RAW data, it should be a different story (and that could explain the difference between the E-30 and the Pens...) hm...

And if focusing is faster with vivid engaged, does that not mean it would be even faster in monochromatic mode (greater contrast)? Also, since contrast is a separate setting, would not simply bumping that also help? Bumping contrast would probably be better than mono, because I think the RAW is saved in mono if you shoot mono--hard to recall at the moment. But if it works, then shooting jpeg/RAW creating highly-contrasty jpegs for throwing out might be an interesting way to speed up my old Pen...

-Jon

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JonInKrakow View Post
    Oops. Got my threads crossed... I'll have to try it, but color me sceptic from the start, but since I've been using VIVID for ages, I'll have to turn it off first to compare. I suppose that if the camera is focusing off of what the actual EVF is displaying, it might help, but if it is taking from RAW data, it should be a different story (and that could explain the difference between the E-30 and the Pens...) hm...

And if focusing is faster with vivid engaged, does that not mean it would be even faster in monochromatic mode (greater contrast)? Also, since contrast is a separate setting, would not simply bumping that also help? Bumping contrast would probably be better than mono, because I think the RAW is saved in mono if you shoot mono--hard to recall at the moment. But if it works, then shooting jpeg/RAW creating highly-contrasty jpegs for throwing out might be an interesting way to speed up my old Pen...

-Jon
    May be. Let me know what you find out. Remember, it is in darker conditions that this is supposed to be effective or to make a difference. All I would need to do is try & focus on my one of my black dogs.
    Ross

Thanks
    Feedback Score

May be. Let me know what you find out. Remember, it is in darker conditions that this is supposed to be effective or to make a difference. All I would need to do is try & focus on my one of my black dogs.
    Well, I tried with my E-P1, using the inside of my computer case (black suede-like texture, with a white paper to provide a bit of contrast) and my black and grey computer bag. Shutter speeds between 1/10 and 1/5, and ISO 1600. I guess that's low-light enough. ;-) In any case, I tried straight vivid, then with added contrast, plain with added contrast, and lastly, mono, with extra contrast. In the end, I couldn't discern any difference between any of the settings. I tried focusing both by defocusing and then focusing, and also, with focus already attained, and regardless of the setting, I couldn't find any setting that focused faster. I'm kind of bummed, because this camera could certainly use help in low lighting/contrast. Maybe newer Pens improve with the Vivid setting, but I didn't notice any help with increased contrast or anything. I'll probably keep experimenting, and keep this idea in mind, when fighting with poor lighting while shooting, but I don't hold out much hope now...

-Jon

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

45mm is a little gem, wonderful lens, especially for the price.

Full sized shot

Regarding the camera itself, people are pretty impressed with it, they really dig the looks.
    Cheers,
    Marin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That's a lovely detailed shot Marin. Now you need to update your signiture.
    Ross

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yup, that's absolutely stuffed with detail.

I'm pretty stoked, finally received my shipping confirmation today. Scheduled delivery in a week. I don't get to take it eclipse-chasing, but I get a character-building experience at no extra charge (ordered about six weeks ago).

Cheers,

Rick

That's a lovely detailed shot Marin. Now you need to update your signiture.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Have fun with your M5

I took these today, handheld without support.
    It's completely ridiculous but whatever.

IS seems to work pretty well considering everything.
    Setup was ZD 70-300mm + EC20 teleconverter + digital teleconverter, so it's 300x2x2 = 1200mm + 43rds sensor which equals 2400mm angle of view on a 35mm for stills, but since video crops a bit it might actually be closer to 3000mm.
    70-300mm is nothing special by itself and teleconverters are bit too much for it to handle (for photos), but for video it's not that bad. Atmospheric influence and the amount of air between you and your subject kills the quality a lot
    Anyway, here are those 2 clips.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yuqAKSO9_w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDNo...ature=youtu.be
    Cheers,
    Marin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have just returned from a 10-day Horizon Photo Workshop in Glacier National Park and NW Montana, using primarily the OM-D and the P-3. The ONLY complaint I have so far is that both were slow, if not impossible to auto-focus the 7-14 lens with adapter. I talked with Oly at the end of last week and they suggested a Reset with the 7-14 mounted. Testing indicates it may be better, but I have not really field tested it.

As I am on the cusp of doing something with my E-3 (also delivered on Day One), I wondered how your performance has been with regular 4:3 lenses using the micro adapter (BTW, mine is the MMF-2 adapter; rather than new sealed v. 3).

Still waiting for Battery/grip (May 25?) and 45mm lens.

Finally, I have started posting shots here:Montana Horizon Workshops Adventure Virtually NO post-processing needed for 99%; remarkable.