Thread: M4/3 has a new competitor from Pentax

Penrith Vally, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default M4/3 has a new competitor from Pentax

I may be behind teh times, but I just saw this.

http://gearpatrol.com/2012/05/09/des...e-pentax-k-01/

ASPC sensor

Takes Pentax SLR lenses

I wished Oly had gone down a similar path, mirrorless and takes any Pentax SLR lens without an adapter.
    If photographers stopped worrying about the short comings of their equipment and started worrying about the shortcomings behind the viewfinder, there would most probably be a marked improvement in image quality.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: M4/3 has a new competitor from Pentax

That's somewhat old news, but IMO, Pentax's approach is pointless. It's combining the disadvantages of a mirrorless mount (no PDAF) and the disadvantages of a DSLR (large body depth).

Penrith Vally, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bg2b View Post
    That's somewhat old news, but IMO, Pentax's approach is pointless. It's combining the disadvantages of a mirrorless mount (no PDAF) and the disadvantages of a DSLR (large body depth).
    I don't know if the bigger body depth is that much of a disadvantage.

Means you can run a bigger battery also, which means that the bigger focus motors will work better as well.
    If photographers stopped worrying about the short comings of their equipment and started worrying about the shortcomings behind the viewfinder, there would most probably be a marked improvement in image quality.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I tend to agree. Isn't as flat as M43 or NEX with compact glass, but doesn't have PDAF either. Might be a nice option if one already owned a few DA* primes, but as a system to buy into fresh... seems to have the weaknesses of both concepts.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pentax should have joined the 4/3rds consortium in the beginning, but failing that, they definitely should have joined when m4/3rds was rolled out. They missed both boats, and now they're getting a little more irrelevant every day. As everyone transitions to mirrorless cameras over the next 10 years, I think we'll see Pentax fade away entirely.

Which is a shame, really. I love their cameras, but there's no way I'm going to buy into a dying system.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Agreed on all counts, Ken.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Busiboy View Post
    I don't know if the bigger body depth is that much of a disadvantage.

Means you can run a bigger battery also, which means that the bigger focus motors will work better as well.
    I think you're missing the point...

With a short flange-back distance (ie. Micro Four Thirds) you can have a much smaller body with much smaller lenses. However, you can also have a larger body if you want. There's no reason why a Micro Four Thirds body couldn't be just as big as an E-3, with all the bigger batteries and focus motors that that brings.

Thing is, if you start with a big flange-back distance (ie. K-01) you have a big camera and big lenses. And that's all you can have.
    Panasonic GH2, Panasonic 7-14/f4 ASPH, Panasonic 14/f2.5 ASPH, Panasonic 20/f1.7 ASPH, Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95, Olympus m.ZD 40-150 MSC.
    Pentax LX, SMC Pentax-K 24/f2.8, SMC Pentax-M 50/f1.4, Fotodiox PK-m43 adapter
    Flickr
    500px

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Who would buy a K-01 when the K-5 is just a few hundred dollars away? You're not saving any size from the top-side, and I don't see anything the K-01 brings that the K-5 can't do, but I see much more benefits the other way around.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thebinaryman View Post
    Who would buy a K-01 when the K-5 is just a few hundred dollars away? You're not saving any size from the top-side, and I don't see anything the K-01 brings that the K-5 can't do, but I see much more benefits the other way around.
    The primary reason for the K-01 is to leverage the existing, 50+ year legacy of Pentax SLR lenses on an all electronic body sans flipping mirror. Unlike Olympus, they're not requiring a mount adapter or letting go of the SLR lens mount. Not yet, anyway.

As a once-was Pentaxian (2004-2008ish), a K-01 is not a bad beast for the range of uses I would have in mind. It's less bulky than the K5, much quieter in operation, and for compact wide to normal AF lenses would make a good body when fitted with an optical viewfinder. Were I to be totally spendthrift, I'd get one along with DA21 and FA43 Limited lenses ... two of the nicest lenses in the focal lengths I've used. The controls are simple and easy to work, the AF seems very quick and sensible. It has an excellent sensor ... should be a good street photography camera set up this way.

Just like the original Leica X1, its primary lack is the that they should have also equipped it to take an optional EVF. Leica has corrected that omission with the X2 (also roundly panned by various and sundry folks who want a mini-M9 and don't understand the brilliance of the X1-X2); I expect Pentax will do the same with the K-01 on the next rev.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have to admit it does not appeal to me, but the new K30 does, small light and weatherproof, everything the E- range DSLR's should have been!
    Regards Paul
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The primary reason for the K-01 is to leverage the existing, 50+ year legacy of Pentax SLR lenses on an all electronic body sans flipping mirror. Unlike Olympus, they're not requiring a mount adapter or letting go of the SLR lens mount. Not yet, anyway.

...Were I to be totally spendthrift, I'd get one along with DA21 and FA43 Limited lenses ... two of the nicest lenses in the focal lengths I've used. The controls are simple and easy to work, the AF seems very quick and sensible. It has an excellent sensor ... should be a good street photography camera set up this way.
    Unfortunately the AF ain't going to be quick or reliable with either of the lenses you mention, as neither were designed for Contrast Detect Auto Focus...

And this is the problem I see with the K-01 - they've kept the K-mount supposedly to take advantage of the massive list of Pentax legacy lenses (which I know and love), but then they've made it CDAF, which means very few current Pentax lenses will AF properly (actually, I think the new DA 40mm is the only one, but I could be wrong...) - so in that regard it's going to be no different to using HG and SHG Zuikos on Micro Four Thirds.
    Panasonic GH2, Panasonic 7-14/f4 ASPH, Panasonic 14/f2.5 ASPH, Panasonic 20/f1.7 ASPH, Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95, Olympus m.ZD 40-150 MSC.
    Pentax LX, SMC Pentax-K 24/f2.8, SMC Pentax-M 50/f1.4, Fotodiox PK-m43 adapter
    Flickr
    500px

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes... all of what everyone else said....Plus, it's still a Pentax. Never a major player in any market prior to SLR, and not all that strong there as well. Never met a Pentax I couldn't find fault with.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saichiez View Post
    Yes... all of what everyone else said....Plus, it's still a Pentax. Never a major player in any market prior to SLR, and not all that strong there as well. Never met a Pentax I couldn't find fault with.
    Pentax were always a pretty good choice for the advanced amateur photographer in 35mm, and their 6x7 and 645 bodies were the choice of a lot of pros and fine art photographers. They have made some superb lenses. The biggest problem in recent years has been quality control. Like Contax, they nearly bought the farm in the early 2000s with the MZ-D model, a full frame 35mm format DSLR based on a Phillips sensor that never materialized. That cost a huge amount of money, and killed Kyocera's interest in the camera marketplace.

I got involved with Pentax in the middle 2000s when they released the *ist DS model and the DA14mm lens. Did a lot of work with Pentax gear, had a relationship with the company. But things went weird as the Hoya acquisition came about and I wasn't so delighted with their bodies. Their Limited series lenses, particularly the 21, 43, and 77, are delightful.

Where they are going today, well, now that Ricoh owns them I have some hopes for their survival as Ricoh is a very interesting company. But it takes time to build a new game plan... !

Godfrey

BTW, I absolutely despise the way this new joy of a forum inserts advertising in the middle of my posted messages.