Thread: Come on Amazon quit jerking me...RANT

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Come on Amazon quit jerking me...RANT

around. I have had an E-M5 on pre order for weeks. With that a time or two I have seen a couple of kits listed as in stock only to be gone in seconds. So now Amazon. Amazon has the OMD listed as in stock if I buy a kit with $500.00 more dollars worth of crap to go with it, Tripods, blah and junk.
    I pre ordered a Sony NEX 7 and got mine days before any and I mean any were listed as in stock.
    This is not right. Olympus should step in and stop it. For those who have been loyal to Olympus for years our pre ordered cameras are being held hostage for more money. I have ordered from Amazon almost exclusively for years. That may have just changed. If you are listening Amazon one of your most loyal customers is about to start shopping some where else. I hope it was worth it you ain't the only people selling cameras. I am going to order a D800E next month but not from you if this isn't corrected quick. Honestly how many photographers do you know that is going to sink this much in a camera that don't already have most of the crap they want you to buy. This isn't an entry level camera here.
    End of Rant....
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digital-Accessory-Package-Includes/dp/B008441QD4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1337977817&sr=8-12
    This is wrong people. WRONG
    Sorry for the previous dump on Adorama, This isn't coming from them.
    Last edited by craig; 05-29-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: Come on Amazon quit jerking me...RANT

The one you linked to is "Ships from and sold by Sunset Electronics." -​- Amazon is simply listing that. The ones from Amazon seem to be out of stock, or 2 month wait.
    ~ ~ Dave
    unphotographed.com: Critique and comments always welcomed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I see that but Amazon should police things llike that and not let them take advantage of customers.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Cosmo, can you cancel the order?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If it was a case of active fraud, I could see Amazon doing something, but as long as Sunset is really selling what they claim to, I don't see anything morally wrong with it. I do understand the annoyance of waiting though. Olympus has generally struck me as fairly good about US distribution (unlike Panasonic), but with the E-M5 they seem to be struggling to meet the demand.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I understand some what that Sunset has these listed. But with that said Amazon did list three in stock a few days ago. Very early in the morning and they were gone in seconds. I feel Amazon should have taken care of pre orders first. I have been waiting since the first Pens came out for a beefed up m4/3rd. Its just frustrating.
    I don't want to cancel the order and get pushed back on the list.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This is a long shot, but might be worth a try. Do you know of a brick&mortar that deals in Olympus?

I ordered EM5+battery grip through a local dealer, and got it a little over a month ago - just about the time they were starting to ship from the big e-tailers. Apparently, Olympus is showing some favoritism to dealers who have supported them in the past. And right now, the price will be the same, no matter where you get it.

A lot of them will do business online, too.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Cosmo, I'm confused. Are you saying that Amazon should have used their stock to satisfy a pre-order you made though Sunset simply because Sunset is an Amazon seller? It seems to me you'd have a beef if Sunset was filling others before yours, but Amazon and Sunset are completely different companies.

Are you also saying that Olympus should fill pre-orders from all sellers before making them available to others? It sounds to me like Sunset may have gotten their pre-order/order in late and are now behind the power curve with customers like you.
    Cheers, Dave

E-510 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 50-200 SWD| 70-300 (still Broken)| EC-14 | FL-36
    Toshiba Thrive (rooted) | Droid (rooted)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think Sunset is to blame here, in the same way that you can't blame ebay when a seller turns out to be a jerk. Amazon should have your back though if you wish to file a dispute of some kind.

My opinion on the preorder situation is that Olympus should have said, "gee, look, 5,000 people have pre ordered cameras, let's send 5,000 ahead of time to x, y, and z, stores". Amazon should have acquired stock ahead of time (using pre-order data that they and Oly knew months in advance) and held the stock until a couple days before release. At that point, they should have shipped it with UPS 2-day air, and you should have received your OM-D the morning of the release date. This is how it works for movies, video games, and other products that have a "release date". I have pre-ordered movies this way, and I get mine that morning. I don't pay a penny more for it either. To me, that's the whole point of a pre-order. To give the manufacturer and distributor advanced notice, so they can get an accurate number of units ready for the initial purchasers. The companies get early marketing data, and you get your product asap. Everybody wins. This is how it works for other products, they should have coordinated it this way for cameras.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I am not sure about Sunset but when I order anything from Amazon I usually get it in two days and sometimes over night. They have a warehouse no far from me. This makes Amazon look bad. Every step should be taken to insure the pre orders are filled first. This not an entry level camera and Sunset knows this. They are going after the ones that want the OMD so much they will buy all of the extra stuff just to get it. Ebay is pretty good at policing their site. Amazon should force Sunset to sell the camera kit alone or be gone. None of this happen with the Sony NEX. All pre orders were filled before they ever hit the online stores. I got mine several weeks before any were listed in stock.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I had mine preordered on Amazon almost from the first it showed up there. I cancelled and ordered from Cameraland and should have it next week. I am very disappointed with Amazon. I really wanted to kick back a little to a blogger I read a lot and use his Amazon link(The Online Photographer) but because of Amazon I can't do that now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Just looking at some other forums, looks like people that ordered from Amazon in Feb are starting to get delivery notices. So depending when you ordered your date might be coming up.
    ~ ~ Dave
    unphotographed.com: Critique and comments always welcomed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I guess I'm never that impatient. I only rarely buy equipment first out of the gate like this (the Pentax K10D and the Olympus E-5 are the only two SLRs that I pre-ordered, the Ricoh A12 Camera Mount was the only other brand new camera bit I've ever pre-ordered) and with them I simply had orders in with three good vendors, took the first one that delivered and cancelled the others. (With the E-5, my local dealer in Palo Alto had it come in first and gave me the same price as I was getting on line.)

Patience counts for a lot. I'd only get bent out of shape by waiting if I was getting paid for a job that depended on some piece of equipment, waiting for the equipment to arrive. I also only rarely have taken a new piece of equipment on a trip without at least a couple of weeks to exercise and learn it.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Cosmo, Amazon is not responsible for delays from third party sellers. Your beef is not with Amazon. When did you preorder? I'm willing to bet not as early as me.

I preordered the E-M5 on Day 1, February 7, directly from Amazon. I received an email two days ago from Amazon that my black E-M5 with black 12-50mm lens has shipped. I should receive it on June 5. So, there you go. Nearly a four month wait, but well worth it. Even though Oly was overwhelmed with demand for the camera, they have ramped up production. However, I would rather wait four months and have Oly produce the camera properly and with proper quality contol, then rush them to us. Better to have Oly do it right.

Side note to DoubleDAZ: Greetings to you from a fellow Thriver. What could be better than Oly cameras and a Thrive tablet? -- big grin --

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I am really patient but I did see a couple pop up for sale through Amazon/Adorama a time or two during my wait. That is who I have my order through. I do understand the third party thing. I am also sure if I had ordered all that stuff Sunset more than likely would have shipped me everything but the camera with a back order invoice. I think Olympus should look and see which companies had the back orders and fill them first.
    I waited seemingly forever for the NEX 7. But again my order was filled long before any were listed as in stock anywhere.
    I am glad Olympus has recovered from their problems.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I've seen Adorama/Amazon have some E-M5's in stock, but just the black 14-42mm kits. Many people who preordered something else (silver, or with the 12-50, or body only) are still waiting, and I haven't seen those listed as in-stock.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

All this ranting about online companies. Canon, Nikon, and Olympus customers complaining that so and so should ...... be careful what you ask for!

First, all of the companies are shipping them out as fast as they get them. It is not Adorama, B&H, or Amazon's faults for what their competitors do.

You could blame the manufacture for not anticipating the initial demand and having enough produced or in production to meet initial demand. Of course if they all did this then your new dodad might cost twice what you paid for it or everyone would have to be waiting longer until stocks were up to par before they even make an announcement. It cost a lot to ramp up production and reduce it when the need is no longer there, or to maintain and control a large inventory. Be careful what you ask for!

There is another culprit to blame - the US Government! Some time ago they put a law into place that importers could not ship an unfair amount of products to retailers they favored! So while these major on line companies may have scores or hundreds on pre-order/waiting list, Mom & Pop Camera gets the same shipments but has significantly fewer people on their pre-order list. This is just here for those that complain about fairness on how our government steps into to fix it. They just muddy the waters even more. Be careful what you ask for!

BTW - whomever mentioned ordering the D-800E, lots of luck with that! In the next three to six months you probably want to buy from Mom & Pop Camera. Or you could take a chance with timing and companies like Best But that do not have waiting list per see - but sell to the first comers when new shipmates arrive and they have cameras in the warehouse! Patience is a virtue - be careful what you ask for!
    Last edited by clint; 05-30-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    You could blame the manufacture for not anticipating the initial demand and having enough produced or in production to meet initial demand. Of course if they all did this then your new dodad might cost twice what you paid for it or everyone would have to be waiting longer until stocks were up to par before they even make an announcement. It cost a lot to ramp up production and reduce it when the need is no longer there, or to maintain and control a large inventory.
    I'll say it again. Pre-orders. They knew ahead of time how many people wanted E-M5's. They should have taken this warning, and produced the required cameras before the release date. If there wasn't enough time, they should have chosen a later release date and/or made the announcement and pre-order period beginning earlier. With a better planned release date, retailers could have had the units in stock ahead of time, and shipped out everyone's order at such a time that everyone would have gotten their's day one. Those that didn't pre-order can wait days or weeks while additional stock trickles in after the huge depletion of pre-order bound stock.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I don't think it's very practical to expect camera manufacturers to produce lots of stock quickly. They just don't have the factory and supply capacity to do it since they don't want lots of spare capacity which largely sits idle between major releases. So to get a huge stock at release time, they have to start producing early and then sit on finished units for a long time until the desired stock is accumulated. But that risks either overestimating demand, or having too long a period between announcement and release. I think Olympus has mostly done a reasonable job in the past with balancing demand and supply (unlike another micro-4/3 company).

As for saying that they should know demand based on preorders, that ignores the phenomenon like people who preorder just to reserve a place in line, then wait for reviews of early units while deciding whether to cancel, or people who place preorders at lots of places, then cancel all except the one that ships first, etc. I'm not sure the information is very reliable.