Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapatalk - is it legitimate?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Question Tapatalk - is it legitimate?

I am visiting the forum today from my iPad. I received a popup telling me that the site supports Tapatalk. I looked at in in the App store, but I don't know if the popup is 100% legitimate. I searched the forum and found a poll from May where Craig was considering the support, so I assume the popup is legitimate. I found no other useful information in the discussion forum though.

Assuming Tapatalk support is legitimate here, is anybody using it? What does it offer? I'm thinking it might offer a common interface between disparate forums, but I'm not sure. I'm really into this iPad and I'm willing to try many new ideas. At $4.99 for the paid version of Tapatalk, it's not much risk. On the other hand, there are only 16 evaluations of it in the App store. That makes it look like a little-used fringe product.

Does anyone have any comments?

Unlike many here, I enjoy the new site look. I am determined to look around and learn it. If Tapatalk is a logical part of that, great!
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Tapatalk - is it legitimate?

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    I am visiting the forum today from my iPad. I received a popup telling me that the site supports Tapatalk. I looked at in in the App store, but I don't know if the popup is 100% legitimate. I searched the forum and found a poll from May where Craig was considering the support, so I assume the popup is legitimate. I found no other useful information in the discussion forum though.

Assuming Tapatalk support is legitimate here, is anybody using it? What does it offer? I'm thinking it might offer a common interface between disparate forums, but I'm not sure. I'm really into this iPad and I'm willing to try many new ideas. At $4.99 for the paid version of Tapatalk, it's not much risk. On the other hand, there are only 16 evaluations of it in the App store. That makes it look like a little-used fringe product.

Does anyone have any comments?

Unlike many here, I enjoy the new site look. I am determined to look around and learn it. If Tapatalk is a logical part of that, great!
    Tapatalk is used by several forums. Legitimate or not, I find it unusable. Just like this new site layout.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    ...Unlike many here, I enjoy the new site look...
    Why does this quote remind me so much of the following exchange from the dim distant past:

What's this stuff?
    Some new forum look, it's supposed to be good for you.
    Did you try it?
    I'm not gonna try it, you try it.
    I'm not gonna try it.
    Let's get Mikey.
    Yeah... He won't use it, he hates everything!

He likes it! Hey Mikey!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It's definitely legit, the question is if you want it. Tapatalk is an application to make using forums a bit more practical on mobile devices. This was more important with older devices that were very slow to load forum sites. If you have the app, you can read, post, etc to the forums you visit through the app. Some find it more convenient and/or faster. I've tried it with one other forum before, I don't really find it necessary. Regardless, I prefer to access forums via a computer vs a mobile device. If I'm no able to get to a computer the forums can wait.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It is legit, but it won't let me log in yet, so I don't know how it is for this forum. But, for the Thrive forum I moderate, it is indispensible. I should note that I got it for free at GetJar months ago before they changed their business plan for Android apps. I should also note that if I didn't use my tablet more now, I wouldn't use Tapatalk. Even so, there are things I still do on my laptop, mostly admin-type stuff.
    Cheers, Dave

E-510 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 50-200 SWD| 70-300 (still Broken)| EC-14 | FL-36
    Toshiba Thrive (rooted) | Droid (rooted)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

I use Tapatalk to access some forums via my iThingy. It's a damn sight better than the "mobile" skin, even if it doesn't seem to support a threaded view.
    John

-- Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've used Tapatalk on an iPhone. Didn't even realize it supported this site. I find Safari works fine on the iPad. On the smaller iPhone I find trying to navigate full web sites pretty clunky.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Anyone able to use it yet for this forum? I still can't log on.
    Cheers, Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Anyone able to use it yet for this forum? I still can't log on.
    I'm trying it now. Seems to be working well.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

You guys don't miss much.. but I guess that little pop-up on desktop browsers gave it away.

We're looking at supporting it as part of the new supporter levels we're about to roll out. Super Supporters can expect to be able to use.

Other users may have another mobile app option but it will be supported by advertising.

Stay tuned for the official announcement soon.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Terry Walls

Use it for many other msites. Just tried it here and it says I don't have permission - got my useris correct and password.
    ?
    Terry
    Canberra, Australia
    e620, OM20 and OM40 and lots of stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by barkly View Post
    Use it for many other msites. Just tried it here and it says I don't have permission - got my useris correct and password.
    ?
    That's as expected. Your user level is Supporter. Only Super Supports will be able to access vi Tapatalk.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Okay by me. I'll just keep ignoring the ads like I do now.
    My participation here has dwindled anyway because this site is a real PIA to read on my tablet, especially editing, too much java. I thought Tapatalk would help, but it's certainly not worth the cost.
    Cheers, Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tapatalk support can increase the readership. Making it available to only the highest priced membership level seems like a counterintuitive business idea to me. I rarely come here anymore because I iuse Tapatalk for other forum sites, and having to switch to a browser on my iPad to get here is kind of a PITA...

Chester Bullock
    E-30, EX-25, 50f2, 14-54 Mk II, Sigma 55-200
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Photos | Blog | Twitter
    "Like" My Photography on Facebook

Thanks
    Feedback Score

We also offer the forum on Forum Runner for un-paid members.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

I don't use an iphone, but my Chrome browser has a free tapatlk app installed, and whenever there's a post to a thread I subscribed to (or PM), a little window pops up in the bottom corner with a brief description of the post.
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I still do not understand the rationale behind only allowing fully paid up site supporters access via Tapatalk.
    Safe Diving

Andy

E3 / Nexus Underwater Housing /50mm/35mm/8mm FE/7-14mm/12-60mm/50-200mm SWD/135-400mm/EX-25/EC-14/EC-20/ FL-50R/2 x Inon Z240's

E-M5, Oly 12-50mm, 14-150mm, 60mm macro, Pany 100-300mm, 14mm, 14-42mm X, PL 25mm, MMF-3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    Tapatalk support can increase the readership. Making it available to only the highest priced membership level seems like a counterintuitive business idea to me. I rarely come here anymore because I iuse Tapatalk for other forum sites, and having to switch to a browser on my iPad to get here is kind of a PITA...
    +1 All my other FT/MFT and photography forums support it and I am sure I will not pay for another app just to visit here when on my android tablet!
    Regards Paul
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This is really disappointing.

As someone who's new to MFT cameras and an avid iPhone user I was looking forward to using Tapatalk to participate in this forum. I have a Macbook Pro too, but I'm not on that as much because I'm often too busy to spend time on my laptop.

I appreciate I'm new to the site so my opinion probably matters very little, but it would seem that the way to generate more users would be to allow all users to use Tapatalk. The reason I suggest this is because I actually found this forum on Tapatalk. To then find I can't log in or use it because I'm not the right user type means I move on to the next forum.

Forums are losing popularity with modern trends in things like Micro Blogging and such services such as Twitter and similar. It's well known that many are starting to dry up and vanish over time compared to a few years back when internet forums were a lot more popular. I would have thought that any move to help a forum gather and keep members would be a good one, especially in an area such as MFT where there are plenty of other forums out there too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

We will discuss this and see whether we can make Tapatalk a standard feature. Thank you for your opinions.

Regards,
    Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbleheed View Post
    This is really disappointing.

As someone who's new to MFT cameras and an avid iPhone user I was looking forward to using Tapatalk to participate in this forum. I have a Macbook Pro too, but I'm not on that as much because I'm often too busy to spend time on my laptop.

I appreciate I'm new to the site so my opinion probably matters very little, but it would seem that the way to generate more users would be to allow all users to use Tapatalk. The reason I suggest this is because I actually found this forum on Tapatalk. To then find I can't log in or use it because I'm not the right user type means I move on to the next forum.

Forums are losing popularity with modern trends in things like Micro Blogging and such services such as Twitter and similar. It's well known that many are starting to dry up and vanish over time compared to a few years back when internet forums were a lot more popular. I would have thought that any move to help a forum gather and keep members would be a good one, especially in an area such as MFT where there are plenty of other forums out there too.
    My situation too: found the forum through tapatalk; I am mostly only actively following various forums via tapatalk HD on my iPad; can't log in though since not a paid subscriber; but not willing to pay until I spend some time on the forum to see how I like it; but can't spend the time to find out since I haven't paid...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

We understand that you would all like to use Tapatalk to view the forum. Unfortunately for us, Tapatalk does not allow us to display ads unless we pay ridiculously high membership fees and therefore this will reduce our Ad revenue that we earn from the forum. It costs money for us to maintain the server and provide this forum for your use and we need to re-coup these costs through advertising, the buy/sell forum and through memberships, unfortunately at the moment we are not receiving enough from these sources for use to consider making it completely free for access to the forum via Tapatalk.

We have discussed it, and would be willing to offer a smaller membership fee of $10 per year, that would provide you with access to the forum via Tapatalk but no other extra privileges like buy/sell access, no ads or extra space. Would this option be of interest to anyone?

Cheers,
    Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score

For me, $10 would be a reasonable amount to be able have access via tapatalk - would give me some time to check out the forum to decide if I want a membership upgrade. Thanks.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

OI don't use Tapatalk to avoid ads, I NEVER look at them anyway and I bet I'm not alone. I use Tapatalk to minimize the time it takes for pages to load, etc. I can read my Tapatalk-enabled forums in about a quarter of the time it takes to read this and other forums. Tapatalk eliminates all the extraneous glitz that many forums think they need to attract and retain members.

FWIW, I'm a moderator on a free tablet forum where Tapatalk is available to everyone. The site and our sister sites are supported by ads and supporting vendors, not by membership fees. Admittedly, we do have a separate Buy/Sell site, but mostly we just recommend using Craigslist and eBay. I have no idea how the financials work, just that they do in spite of Tapatalk and no membership fees.

So my $.02 is that I won't pay to use Tapatalk and I won't pay to be a member. If someone wants to pay $10 to use Tapatalk, that's okay with me, but a special $10 membership won't affect me one way or the other.

To be completely honest, this site no longer offers what it once did. Many of the members who made this a great site have left or drastically reduced their participation. I don't know if it's because of the new management or just that little is happening in the 4/3rds world. I used to check in 4-5 times a day and there were 20-30 new posts each time, that has trickled to 5-10 on a good day. I haven't found another go-to camera site, so maybe part of it is that I've lost interest too. I still check in frequently, but there is very little that sparks my interest anymore and that is a shame. I remember the days when a photo series would draw 30-40 comments, now they are lucky to get 10. I don't know what the active membership is these days, but it's got to be much lower than it once was.
    Cheers, Dave

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm impressed that a compromise was made, but I think I'll pass thanks.

I joined several mft forums when I bought my camera and I find 2 of the others a lot more active and easier to use on my iPhone. As such I don't use this site. While I wasn't here in the past I feel the above post makes a good point, there's not enough active content or participation to warrant paying for membership. Forums are a dying breed due to more modern Internet crazes and I think you have to be lucky to survive these days.

Thanks for trying though and good luck with the site.