Thread: Accessory bag for easy lens changes?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Accessory bag for easy lens changes?

I have a Lowepro nature trekker backpack that I use to carry all of my equipment. The problem I have is changing lenses with any speed at all. Taking the bag off, opening it, and changing lenses can be quite a chore. I am looking for something that can be worn around my waist or over my shoulder that will hold 2 lenses (a third will be on my E-5). I bought a Lowepro AW200 lens exchange bag which works really well but only holds one lens. I normally shoot with a 12-60, a 50-200, and a Sigma 105mm macro. Any help in finding the perfect solution is very much appreciated!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Accessory bag for easy lens changes?

I got the Lowepro 'Slingshot' which has only one strap, so you can pivot it around for access.
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thinktank belt, holster for camera with two lens bags. I have hiked for 10 hours up a mountain with this setup. Only problem is that they need to put a leg strap to hold the holster in place. Having said that, my holster is capable of holding the 35-100 on the E5 with the lens hood in position. So if you had a smaller one the leg strap issue might not be an issue.
    McGoo Photography
    E5 | E620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 35-100 | Zuiko 70-300 | FL-50R x2 |

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

I use a small shoulderbag - the Tamrac Express 7.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tamrac Velocity 8X sling bag is what I use. Fairly "configurable" -- 9-18 and 50 stack down one side (separated by detachable padding), 50-200 down the other (a little snug with tripod collar on, but manageable), center holds E-5 with 12-60 attached (or some combination of another lens, FL-50, rocket blower). Swing the bag around to your side or front, zip top opens away from you for quick access to main compartment, makes kind of a little "changing station." Zip compartment on inside of zip top, large accessory compartment on front of bag. (No, I don't work for Tamrac -- just like this bag.)

John
    Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
    E-5, E-3, E-500; ZD 9-18, 12-60, 14-54 I, 35, 50, 50-200 SWD, PL 25; EC-14; FL-50, HLD-4
    E-M5; m.ZD 12-50, MMF-3, HLD-6
    Nikon D800,
    Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR II, 105mm f/2.8G ED IF VR micro
    B+W & Cokin filters, Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Acratech GP ball head

jlhemingwayphotos.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Has anyone used the Thinktank lens changer 2 or 3? One of those look like what I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The best way to change lenses in the field is not to have to. Get at least one other body, and come up with a way to carry both comfortably. (If you have aspirations of working for money, you will need at least one backup body anyway, in case something dies or is damaged during a job.)

When I'm working, I generally have my 35-100mm or 50-200mm on my E-3 w/grip at my left hip, hanging from a Lens Loop strap attached to the lens' tripod foot. It usually has my FL-50 on it (with external battery pack on my left shoulder if I'm shooting a wedding). I have my 12-60mm on my E-520, which is on a nice neoprene strap on my right shoulder, turned so it hangs with the lens facing in. The E-520 usually has my Metz 48 flash on it. Both bodies have lens hoods in-place, to avoid lens damage. I keep a 4-pack plastic holder of charged Eneloop AA cells in my pocket, along with a spare BLM-1. I have extra memory cards in a holder on the E-520 strap.

I can easily grab either camera quickly & shoot. I have them both pre-set in manual mode for the current lighting conditions and my shooting preferences -- outdoors, this is often ISO 200, f/4.0 or so, and around 1/800s shutter speed, sunny WB, center zone metering, and IS off. Focus spots are set based on what I'm shooting. I'll let a camera meter off a green lawn or the open palm of my hand to sanity-check my manual exposure settings; it's not always exactly right, but based on experience, I know how many stops to adjust *my* cameras to make it right in each case (my hand: +0.7 EV for the E-3, +0.3 EV for my E-520; vibrant green grass: no adjustment to the E-3, -0.3 EV for the E-520; dead grass or dry lake bed dirt: +0.3 EV for the E-3, no adjustment for the E-520).

I carry a number of other lenses for "specialty shots" (such as my 9-18mm, 50mm macro, or 70-300mm), but I generally have plenty of time to go grab them out of my small Tamrac backpack or my big gear cases if I need them. I also keep my E-1 handy in one of the bags, usually with my 14-54mm on it, just in case I have an equipment failure with one of my main bodies.

I also have small camera case with an E-PL1 w/ 14-42mm on it, and my old 40-150mm lens on a 4/3 adapter. My FL-36R is in that case, too, along with a charged 4-pack of Eneloop AA cells and a couple of spare BLS-1 batteries. The E-PL1 kit is my "always on-hand" kit. It lives in my vehicle, and only comes out to use it. I am NEVER without a pro-quality camera on-hand, just in case.
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.