Thread: I need your help PLEASE.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default I need your help PLEASE.

I am trying to shoot Panos with my E30 and have encountered a problem.

• I move the mode dial to ART/Scan

I then select the Pano Mode Symbol which appears on the Live View

• I then press the OK button and a Message appears on the Live View Screen stating

"panorama xd card required'

• I then press OK again as there is an XD card installed in the camera and at this point the SCN 9 window appears again on the live View screen

What should I be doing, I have read the instruction manual and think I have followed it correctly but I cannot record any photos for stitching .
    Funny thing is if I go into MMode for instance, I can record photos to the XD card without any problems.
    Can anybody please help me to solve this annoying problem.
    Thank you,
    John

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: I need your help PLEASE.

I don't know much about that camera. Why not shoot the shot in manual mode, then stitch them together on your computer in post processing? That's what I do. Doing it using the scene mode does the stitching on the camera, right?
    Atlanta, GA
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2,
    4/3 11-22mm, m4/3 14-42mm II, m4/3 Rokinon 7.5mm

http://guzziknight.smugmug.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

I believe once you have selected the pano mode you then proceed to shoot using the arrow buttons after each shot to select how the pano is stitched.

Pressing the okay button before shooting the first frame returns you to the scene mode selection menu.

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800/D500
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I thought it was specific to how the XD card and the Olympus Viewer interacted with each other. If you don't have an XD card then that mode doesn't work.

Having said that the results are inferior to shooting in manual mode and stitching in PP as you cannot shoot multiple lines of images using that mode.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jabes View Post
    I am trying to shoot Panos with my E30 and have encountered a problem.

• I move the mode dial to ART/Scan

I then select the Pano Mode Symbol which appears on the Live View

• I then press the OK button and a Message appears on the Live View Screen stating

"panorama xd card required'
    John
    You need an Olympus branded xD card, not just any xD card. You have to be careful in formatting the card on other systems, in that formatting may erase the magic byte that says the card was from Olympus. Until Olympus switched to SD cards, this was standard practice for the 11 years I've been an Olympus user. Back before xD cards were introduced, there were SmartMedia cards, and 10+ years ago, there was a hack version of the SMPREP.EXE utility floating around that would set this byte using the original SM card reader. Unfortunately that card reader and SMPREP.EXE no longer worked once Windows XP Service Pack 2 came out.

Fortunately, with SD cards, this is no longer needed on newer gear. But that doesn't help you with the E-30.

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I just did the steps on my camera E-30 and it works as you described...but I DO have an OLY Xd card in there....I normally just shoot and stitch in CS3 so never use the Xd card it is only there for emergencies....

I shoot a picture of the ground at the beginning and end of a series I want to stitch together, so I know which ones are for pano's...just a little trick I have developed...

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Righto--need an Oly-brand card and Oly software, and the pano feature functions in live view. I can attest it does work in the E-30 and while the results are not flawless it's pretty easy.

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    You need an Olympus branded xD card, not just any xD card.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

I also tried this and it works as designed

That is to say the only benefit from shooting in this mode is the visual overlapping lines on the back screen.

You still need to stitch the images in Studio or Master/Viewer.

And the disadvantage I feel is that the exposure And focus is locked on the first image.

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800/D500
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The smartest advice I can give you is shoot the panos by simply

a. hurl XD card into the weeds
    b. normally swing the camera around an arc in portrait mode while clicking the shutter a few times, overlapping one-third
    c. buy a copy of Elements for $99 and do a PROPER job of stitching the panos with one click.

Using the now-defunct Olympus "system" to shoot panos is ridonkulous.

I 've been shooting and stitiching panos for most of June. There have been some nice skies lately.
    Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Just shoot a series of overlapping photos. I use aperture priority to compress the dynamic range. (no need to use manual mode as in the past.) Then stitch using hugin (freeware)
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks to all for the sage words of advice. I have addressed the problem. The card I was using, although purchased as Genuine, turns out to be counterfeit. I have shot panos before using M Mode and sitched results together in CS5 but thought I would try the Xd method as a backup to using MMode This is when I discovred the anomoly. I have requested the seller refund my money on the basis of their misrepresentation but really don't like my chances of getting satisfaction. Time will tell but again Thank you to all.
    JB

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jabes View Post
    Thanks to all for the sage words of advice. I have addressed the problem. The card I was using, although purchased as Genuine, turns out to be counterfeit. I have shot panos before using M Mode and sitched results together in CS5 but thought I would try the Xd method as a backup to using MMode This is when I discovred the anomoly. I have requested the seller refund my money on the basis of their misrepresentation but really don't like my chances of getting satisfaction. Time will tell but again Thank you to all.
    JB
    Wow. I'm surprised that anyone would even bother to counterfeit xD cards!
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

They do, and after making contact a few times with the seller in China I have now been informed to return the card to their "warranty agent" right here in Melbourne Australia.
    A few stern words with respect to selling counterfeit products and claiming they are genuine and the encumbent legal ramifications seemed to at least get a positive response. Although an address has been forwarded as the one to which I should return the product, no phone number has yet been supplied, but a request for same has been made. If my request is met then I should be able to negotiate a full refund.