Thread: OM4t vs OM4ti

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default OM4t vs OM4ti

Over the last year I let all of my OM cameras go. I used them more than I thought. I was shopping around for one and like the metering of the OM4 series the best. My second choice would be the 2s or 2n. But whats the big difference between the 4t and 4ti and is it worth that much more?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: OM4t vs OM4ti

According to Camerapedia, the 4T and the 4Ti are essentially identical.

"The OM-4Ti was released in 1987 and replaced the OM-4. In the United States, it is known as the 4T, while 4Ti is used for the rest of the world. In the US, when repair parts supply of 4T top covers ran out, 4Ti tops were substituted."

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    According to Camerapedia, the 4T and the 4Ti are essentially identical.

"The OM-4Ti was released in 1987 and replaced the OM-4. In the United States, it is known as the 4T, while 4Ti is used for the rest of the world. In the US, when repair parts supply of 4T top covers ran out, 4Ti tops were substituted."
    Hello Bob:

So then maybe, the " i " designation stands for International?

I am just guessing..?

Thanks for reading,

Have a nice day...

Ed

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

In 1986, a special ultra-durable version of the OM-4 with champagne coloured titanium top and bottom plates, upgraded electronic circuitry and improved weatherproofing, called and marked the OM-4Ti (OM-4T in the USA) was released with a US list price of $770.The OM-4Ti also introduced a new electronic flash control system. Normally focal plane shutters are limited in their maximum flash synchronization speed, because of the way they provide fast shutter speeds – timing the second shutter curtain to close more quickly after the first shutter curtain opens. This causes a narrowing of the slit "wiping" the exposure on the film. In effect, a horizontal focal plane shutter made of cloth is only fully open and usable for flash exposure down to 1/60th second. Any faster and a typical 1 millisecond flash burst would only partially expose the film - the part open to the slit. The OM-4Ti overcame this problem by having the new Olympus F280 Full Synchro flash pulse its light continuously over 40 milliseconds, long enough to illuminate the slit as it crossed the entire focal plane, even at shutter speeds as fast as 1/2000th second. However, there is a concomitant loss of flash range.
    A black-finished version came out in 1990 listing for $1250 (the natural finished body remained available for $1200).
    In the US market the OM-4T was ultimately renamed OM-4Ti in 1997 ($1819 list), without any feature changes before being finally discontinued in 2002.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thanks for the help. That makes since. Ebay is filled with user 4Ts I had rather not gamble on.