Thread: Stupid is Stupid Does

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Stupid is Stupid Does

This past winter I went to use my monopod and could not find the plate for the camera to lock into the ball head. I searched high and low...tore my complete trailer and truck apart...convinced it was in Alaska, when I got here I did the same thing..nowhere to be found.

Yesterday I looked up the part number for the ball head and made plans to order another plate or make one. Anyway after all my research I find them for sale at Cameta and Adorama, so I put one in the shopping cart and I go to my drawer to get my CC number and see the tripod ring for my 50-200 which I had removed to hand hold and there on the bottom, tightly secured was the mounting plate!!

6 months of searching and there it was...I went ahead and ordered a spare anyways!!

Why don't they make these things all the same size so the same one would fit on my tripod that is on my monopod?? I may have to order the same ball head for my tripod and solve that problem or vice versa....

Just a funny story! And a lesson learned!

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Stupid is Stupid Does

You might want to standardize on Arca-Swiss type clamps and plates.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    That's exactly what I have done - - gone through all my tripod & monopod heads and replaced them with the Arca-Swiss type clamps instead of the brand-specific quick disconnects, and then I bought a package of Arca-Swiss compatible plates for all the odd stuff that I might want to mount on the tripod, 2 camera-specific L-brackets for the DSLR bodies, and heavier duty plates for my MF SLR and my 4x5 camera. It's now all just grab-n-go since everything interconnects.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hi Jim: thanks for sharing that story. Let's me know that I am not the only one to have had similiar experiences! LOL
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Or something like Manfrotto RC2 plates. You can even get eBay knockoff plates that work just as well.

I have four plates through various acquisitions. When I first got an RC2 head I trolled eBay for a while picking up real Manfrotto plates. I think I averaged $5 each way back then. Back then there were no knockoffs available.

My ball head and monopod head both use the RC2 plate and when I get a gimbal head here real soon I'll retrofit it with a platform to accept them as well.

I like them. I like Arca Swiss too but I find most things arca-compatible unnecessarily expensive.
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KHatfull View Post
    I like Arca Swiss too but I find most things arca-compatible unnecessarily expensive.
    There is a vendor here in Houston (...with a store on ebay) who sells Arca compatible clamps and plates and I mix & match them with other brands and the real thing. I shoot about 80-90% of my shots on a tripod or monopod and having the Arca style clamps has been a god-send.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    There is a vendor here in Houston (...with a store on ebay) who sells Arca compatible clamps and plates and I mix & match them with other brands and the real thing. I shoot about 80-90% of my shots on a tripod or monopod and having the Arca style clamps has been a god-send.
    PM me an eBay link if you would...I'd take a look.
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Check out the M-plate, which provides a single quick release plate that works with both Manfrotto and Arca-swiss mount systems: http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-pro

For my tastes, it is a little expensive, but hey if you have both systems, it should work. A lot of times, I just put a second quick release on, for example putting my Manfrotto RC2 quick release on my tripod which has its own custom quick release.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks for sharing, Michael. I have the same problem. The only way I know of to find something is to order another - then is shows up after the replacement order, but before it arrives. I think it should be an age-related issue, but I have been doing it consistently since before I was old....
    Ken610

4/3: E-5 x2, HLD-4 x2, E-520, E-1, 9-18, 12-60 SWD, 14-42, 14-54 I, 18-180, PL 25/1.4, 25/2.8, 35-100/2, 40-150 II, 50/2, 50-200 SWD, Bigma 50-500, 70-300, 90-250/2.8, 150/2, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25, FL-50r x2, FL-36r, Jobu Jr, Jobu HD2.
    m43:: E-M1 3x, HLD-7 x2, 12-40, E-M5 Black, E-M5 Silver, 12-50, 12-40, 75-300 II, PL 14-140 II, 9-18, 17/2.8, 14-150, PL 100-300, PL 14/2.5.
    Other: XZ-1, PT-050, UFL-1, UFL-2, TG-1, all stored in a big bolted to wall gun safe!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

One of my quick releases (Peak Designs camera clip which is a belt mounting system) uses an Arca compatible system. So I figured maybe get some more, and I ordered some cheap Fotopro Arca compatible clamps, which are completely useless IMHO, since the base doesn't clamp the QR plate tight enough to prevent movement. It may be fine for some wimpy point and shoot, but I wouldn't trust an E-5 with 50-200mm and flash on it.