Thread: How do I change the date taken in an image ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default How do I change the date taken in an image ?

Hi all

I recently cancelled an order at an overseas supplier for an E-M5 as it was not going to arrive in time (nor did they have stock) for a 5 day hike I had planned.
    The day before I left a local supplier called me - they had managed to get stock, so I jumped on it - I didn't fancy lugging my E-3 plus lenses on a 5 day hike.

In my rush to set up the camera whilst packing etc I managed to get the time correct but somehow botched the date.

So here is my situation - I have a tracklog for the whole hike that I recorded with my Garmin Oregon, the correct timestamp on my photo's but the incorrect date.
    I cannot geotag the images with Geosetter as there is no date match.
    I shot everything in RAW and can obviously convert to DNG if needed.

Is there any software available that will easily enable me to change the date taken of the images to match the date that I actually took the pics ?

I have googled this a bit but only came up with some stuff that goes back quite a few years.

Software that I have - PSCS6, Lightroom and the Oly stuff that came with the camera.
    Safe Diving

Andy

E3 / Nexus Underwater Housing /50mm/35mm/8mm FE/7-14mm/12-60mm/50-200mm SWD/135-400mm/EX-25/EC-14/EC-20/ FL-50R/2 x Inon Z240's

E-M5, Oly 12-50mm, 14-150mm, 60mm macro, Pany 100-300mm, 14mm, 14-42mm X, PL 25mm, MMF-3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: How do I change the date taken in an image ?

Exiftool, either by itself or with a gui wrapper, such as ExifToolGUI.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Hi all

I recently cancelled an order at an overseas supplier for an E-M5 as it was not going to arrive in time (nor did they have stock) for a 5 day hike I had planned.
    The day before I left a local supplier called me - they had managed to get stock, so I jumped on it - I didn't fancy lugging my E-3 plus lenses on a 5 day hike.

In my rush to set up the camera whilst packing etc I managed to get the time correct but somehow botched the date.

So here is my situation - I have a tracklog for the whole hike that I recorded with my Garmin Oregon, the correct timestamp on my photo's but the incorrect date.
    I cannot geotag the images with Geosetter as there is no date match.
    I shot everything in RAW and can obviously convert to DNG if needed.

Is there any software available that will easily enable me to change the date taken of the images to match the date that I actually took the pics ?

I have googled this a bit but only came up with some stuff that goes back quite a few years.

Software that I have - PSCS6, Lightroom and the Oly stuff that came with the camera.
    - Backup your image files

- Import them into Lightroom

With Lightroom:

- in Catalog Preferences, check the option to "Write date or time changes into proprietary raw files." Close the Catalog Preferences window.

- in Library, Grid mode, sort the images you need to adjust dates on by Capture Time. Click on the first, then shift-click on the last to select the ones you want to affect.

- Choose the Edit Capture Time command from the Metadata menu.

- Click the "Adjust to a specific date and time" mode

The date and time shown is for the first exposure in the selected run. Change the date to the appropriate value. All the others will be updated preserving their offset from this date.

- As insurance, use the "Save metadata to files" command in the Metadata menu to ensure that the revised capture timestamp is written out to the files.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks bob and Godfrey, it's getting late here but I will certainly give your suggestions a go tomorrow evening.

I am keen to get stuck into editing my images, but I like to get the geotagging sorted first before I do anything else.
    Safe Diving

Andy

E3 / Nexus Underwater Housing /50mm/35mm/8mm FE/7-14mm/12-60mm/50-200mm SWD/135-400mm/EX-25/EC-14/EC-20/ FL-50R/2 x Inon Z240's

E-M5, Oly 12-50mm, 14-150mm, 60mm macro, Pany 100-300mm, 14mm, 14-42mm X, PL 25mm, MMF-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

If I remember correctly, there is an option in Geosetter where you can input a time difference between the photos and the tracker file.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Kind of a backwards method, but if the tracker file is plain text, or convertible to plain text, you can use any text manipulation tools to change the date in the tracker file so you can geotag. You still may wish to change the date in the photos though, but suggested methods posted already should work well. I've used exiftool for bulk aspect ratio change in a number of photos, and it worked well. Someone else changed the aspect ratio on me, Lightroom would only give me 3:2 ratio, no way to change. Exiftool losslessly fixed it.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks again for the input, tried both ways no problems !!! Photo's appear to be geotagged exactly where I took them so all is good.

Geosetter does indeed have a method of changing the time difference, it is just sooo easy to mess it up - I did on my first attempt.

Editing the tracklog (gpx file) was going to be my last resort if nothing else worked.

All comments greatly appreciated, great bunch of folk here !
    Safe Diving

Andy

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Olympus Viewer 2 allows the date (& time) to be edited when viewing the Basic details (& not the EXIF tab) by clicking on the blue underlined 'Shooting Date & Time' which appears near the bottom of the Basic Details list. There is a batch function with this program, so maybe it might be possible to edit a batch of files' dates too.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 08-02-2012 at 05:08 AM.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M5 with HLD-6, E30 with HLD-4, E520.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-42, ZD40-150, ZD70-300, ZD14-54 II, ZD35 macro, EC14, EX25, OM50 1.8, OM28 2.8, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50. Other: Soligor bellows & adapters. Velbon Sherpa 600R tripod.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    - Backup your image files

- Import them into Lightroom

With Lightroom:

- in Catalog Preferences, check the option to "Write date or time changes into proprietary raw files." Close the Catalog Preferences window.

- in Library, Grid mode, sort the images you need to adjust dates on by Capture Time. Click on the first, then shift-click on the last to select the ones you want to affect.

- Choose the Edit Capture Time command from the Metadata menu.

- Click the "Adjust to a specific date and time" mode

The date and time shown is for the first exposure in the selected run. Change the date to the appropriate value. All the others will be updated preserving their offset from this date.

- As insurance, use the "Save metadata to files" command in the Metadata menu to ensure that the revised capture timestamp is written out to the files.

G
    Thanks, great tip. I have to save it somewhere. I guess I have to take a day or two to learn Lightroom inside and out, I was happy with amount of knowledge I had, but seeing how much more things are possible really opens your eyes.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

6625 S. Valley View Blvd. #C-304 Las Vegas, NV 89118
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Amos Robin

Check the setting menu on that or you can do photo shop..