Thread: Just bought my 2nd OM-D - do I keep the kit lens?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Just bought my 2nd OM-D - do I keep the kit lens?

...well, this morning I went in to the camera store I deal with to put more stuff on consignment and there it was, sitting on the counter still in it's box, another OM-D EM-5. I had already made mental plans to acquire a 2nd body, they're in short supply in this neck of the woods, so putting 2 and 2 together definitely suggested to me that I grab another while it was available. This one also comes with a kit lens but it's the m43 14-42, I have the m43 12-50 and a good copy of the m43 40-150, so this kit lens seems to me a bit redundant. What do all of you have to say about the m43 14-42, is it worth hanging on to or should I put it on sale along with the 43rds gear?
    cheers,

Lorne Miller

http://lornemiller.smugmug.com/

4/3rds stuff: E-1 w HLD-2
    35-100 f2, 14-35 f2 SWD, 50-200 SWD
    m4/3rds stuff: OM-D E-M5 x 2, mZD 12-50, mZD 40-150, mZD 14-42

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Re: Just bought my 2nd OM-D - do I keep the kit lens?

I would keep the kit lens.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I got my OMD with the 14-42 (that was also all that was available and I did not want to wait for a 12-50 kit) but thought I would sell it when I got the 12-50.
    But considering how little I was offered for it, I decided to hold on to it. And while the IQ of the 14-42 is probably comparable to the 12-50, it's smaller size (when the camera is not in use) does come in useful from time to time.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne Miller View Post
    ...well, this morning I went in to the camera store I deal with to put more stuff on consignment and there it was, sitting on the counter still in it's box, another OM-D EM-5. I had already made mental plans to acquire a 2nd body, they're in short supply in this neck of the woods, so putting 2 and 2 together definitely suggested to me that I grab another while it was available. This one also comes with a kit lens but it's the m43 14-42, I have the m43 12-50 and a good copy of the m43 40-150, so this kit lens seems to me a bit redundant. What do all of you have to say about the m43 14-42, is it worth hanging on to or should I put it on sale along with the 43rds gear?
    bin it. It is a rubbish lens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I would sell it. If you want a more compact zoom than the 12-50, the one to look at is the Panny 14-42 pancake (which is better than the 14-42 Oly kit lens anyway).
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

On topic question...how does it compare to 4/3 14-42 ? I have one which I got with used E-620, never used it but have taken a look at it last night, and boy is it small. So I wander if they were able to make it even smaller ?
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Lorne, I guess you don't know about the rule that says everyone gets one OMD before people like you start buying two! Simple solution is for you to stick it in a waterproof box and toss it in Haro Straits on an incoming tide and I'll be standing by with my boat hook here on the East Bank
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Baxter View Post
    bin it. It is a rubbish lens.

I am not a big fan of the "El Cheapo" kit-lens; plastic mount, flimsy and about the same optical quality as a Canon standard kit-lens, means that it rubs me the wrong way too. Then again; this would the the third (or fourth) iteration of the lens, and that one is supposedly a marked improvement of the first version.

But tossing it in the bin? I think there is a sucker born every minute and I am sure someone will buy it if the price is right. If Lorne has the conscience to sell it after we have dissed it so bad ...
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker