Thread: New 4/3 lens are coming

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default New 4/3 lens are coming

New 4/3 lens are coming. Yes 4/3; not m4/3

Rokinon 35mm T1.5 cine lens will be available in U.S in few weeks and Rokinon 24mm T1.5 & 14mm T3.1 cine lens will be available in U.S in September.They will be available in Four Thirds (not microFT!) too."

I think this tends to re-enforce the idea that Oly will be releasing a successor to the E-5.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: New 4/3 lens are coming

Hope so. Anyway, I think it's rather a question of when and not if Olympus release a "full" 4/3 camera

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarkko View Post
    Hope so. Anyway, I think it's rather a question of when and not if Olympus release a "full" 4/3 camera
    Yes, I think an E-7 or similar camera is pretty much guaranteed. Let's hope they do video properly this time (GH2/GH3 capability) and give people yet another reason to buy it (and make use of these new cine lenses). It also needs to compete against other cameras on the used market. In other words, it needs to be better than a $1200 used 5D MkII.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Its going to need to be better than the OM-D/EM-5! Right now, that's the 'flagship' camera. From what I hear, except for the HG and SHG 4/3 lenses, it outshines the E-5. An E-7 has to be the best, the top, the flagship pro camera of Olympus if 4/3 is to have any foothold in the dslr market. I think Olympus can do it. I don't know what they would add to an E-7 the would make it stand out over an OM-D/EM-5, but they are certainly known for innovations that tend to become industry standards.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kenwae View Post
    Its going to need to be better than the OM-D/EM-5! Right now, that's the 'flagship' camera. From what I hear, except for the HG and SHG 4/3 lenses, it outshines the E-5. An E-7 has to be the best, the top, the flagship pro camera of Olympus if 4/3 is to have any foothold in the dslr market. I think Olympus can do it. I don't know what they would add to an E-7 the would make it stand out over an OM-D/EM-5, but they are certainly known for innovations that tend to become industry standards.
    ...and it will have to offer something significantly greater than what is featured on our OM-D's to keep us interested. My OM-D's completely outclass my E-5's, which are currently for sale, they are also a lot lighter and far easier to haul around than the 4/3rds beasties. Personally, now that I've more or less made the switch to m43rds, I can't see going back, I'll probably hang on to my SHG glass but the rest of my 4/3rds gear is out the door...
    cheers,

Lorne Miller

http://lornemiller.smugmug.com/

4/3rds stuff: E-1 w HLD-2
    35-100 f2, 14-35 f2 SWD, 50-200 SWD
    m4/3rds stuff: OM-D E-M5 x 2, mZD 12-50, mZD 40-150, mZD 14-42

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

When I first got the OM-D, I went back and forth between it and my E-5, but the E-5 got less and less use over time, and I have not had the E-5 out of the bag for months now. I thought I might use the 14-53 Mk II on the OM-D a lot, but the Panny pancake 14-42 is so good that I don't bother. At this point, I can't see anything Oly could do to the E-7 that would make me want to shell out the cash for it.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Me want.

Seriously: I have one photo technique that demands long battery life (1500+ shots) and where I can routinely run through around 4500 images a day. See here for a relatively small version. My benchmark is the battery life of the panorama head, which is around 1500 camera movements, and I have three batteries for the Gigapan Pro. The largest I've done is 1400 images, which is still a work in progress.

I ran an E510 into the ground doing this (shutter died) and my current camera of choice for this work, the E30, is holding up nicely, but I can see the day when this will die as well. No m4/3 comes even close, even the OM-D with the grip, since this runs two of the wimpy batteries that the m4/3 system has standardized on. Might get 700 pictures out of that one.

Hence: given my lens collection and given the equipment I have, I'd really love to see an E30 replacement, or, if not that, an E7 with a tad more moderate pricing. Moving to an E5 is, right now, my only option with 4/3. Battery pack is just fine (I have an OwnUser for the E30, works fine, lots cheaper), but I really want the juice.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to a nice 9mm f3.5 wide-angle prime in 4/3.

Not dissing the m4/3 cameras: I have three and they are great for what they do. But they don't do one aspect of what I want. If there is no further 4/3, then I will have to consider an alternative system. :-(

I regularly use the 70-300 at 300, then a 400 f6.3 Telyt-R, a Sigma 600 f8 mirror (which is a bitch to focus), and have a Leica 2x extender for the 400. Only that combo - which gives me 1600 equivalent focal length - gets me up to the 1500 limit for the gigapans. Sharpest lens I have is the 180 f3.4 APO Telyt-R, which is ancient but outstanding. Oh, and I've got a Vivitar Series 1 200 f3 for fun. :-)

The thing is, I don't need autofocus (when doing the panoramas, everything is manual). What I do need is image quality. Here's hoping. :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

would be handy to know wouldnt it
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    would be handy to know wouldnt it

E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Me want.

Seriously: I have one photo technique that demands long battery life (1500+ shots) and where I can routinely run through around 4500 images a day.
    Have you considered getting a A.C. to D.C. power supply for the camera, and then purchasing the Alien Bees Mini Vagabond power supply? You should be able to get about 100,000 shots with this setup, and the Mini Vagabond would clamp on to your tripod leg.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    Would that be a 'cat that ate the canary' grin, Mr. Laing? Is there something you're NOT saying here?

The E7 needs to have an optical viewfinder, NOT an EVF.
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Oh, you can do 1600mm equivalent on M43... that's a Nikkor 400 3.5 + 2x TC, pretty much only useful for astro work. There's an EM5 attached to it somewhere...

Or shift to the C8 for an 1800mm (actual) F10 lens, but contrast stinks.

The EM5 has pretty much put me off of a future 4/3 body. With the grip, it handles decently with HG ZD, now if they'd just fix the AF situation.

It hasn't put me off of ZD glass, though. ZD glass doesn't seem to be selling well right now, so I'm on the lookout for some bargains: 8FE, 11-22, 70-300.

E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Back up a few posts at #7 JohnF quietly mentioned "gigapan" which I had never heard of. I was intrigued enough to take a look at the image he has linked to and was amazed - 3.64Gb in size - yes that is a G not an M! 6 hours computing time to stitch it all together if I read things right. Lovely picture but what on earth do you need that sort of resolution for?
    Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Why we might still need "full" 4/3 cameras? I think the main need is fast C-AF. There are a lot of people interested in wildlife and sports photography. Moving animals like running dogs, horses and birds flying. Or running sportsmen, team sport in action, racing cars and bikes, etc.

So long lenses, fast lenses and fast AF in continuous mode. There the micro 4/3 are not good enough yet. And some of us just love an optical viewfinder too much to skip it for EVF anytime soon !

Thanks
    Feedback Score

why is it one gets the impression that part of the community knows something the other part doesnt
    we used to have a roadmap, now all I get are Road Closed signs, and pointless nudges winks and grins

after 4 years of a pageant of fools and misinformation
    there is a need for a clear transaction, an unambiguous untranslated crystal clear description of where 4/3rds is going,
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

why is it one gets the impression that part of the community knows something the other part doesnt
    we used to have a roadmap, now all I get are Road Closed signs, and pointless nudges winks and grins

there is a need for a clear transaction, an unambiguous untranslated crystal clear description of where 4/3rds is going,
    Clarity is in pretty short supply these days...

Anyway, I'm not sure how seriously to take the winks and nods anyway at this point. Remember the imminent 100/2 macro? Or the E-50?

DH

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

You will have to pose that question to Olympus.
    They aren't doing anything different than they have done in the past.
    You choose to see signs.
    You have choices.............

E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

As they say at the Dead Dog Cafe, "stay calm, be brave, wait for the signs."
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jnicklin View Post
    As they say at the Dead Dog Cafe, "stay calm, be brave, wait for the signs."
    Waiting for the signs and holding my E-1 up to then as I still want to stay 4/3's...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Why we might still need "full" 4/3 cameras? I think the main need is fast C-AF. There are a lot of people interested in wildlife and sports photography. Moving animals like running dogs, horses and birds flying. Or running sportsmen, team sport in action, racing cars and bikes, etc.

So long lenses, fast lenses and fast AF in continuous mode. There the micro 4/3 are not good enough yet. And some of us just love an optical viewfinder too much to skip it for EVF anytime soon !
    Fast C-AF lost it's battle against superior focus systens (Nikon, Canon, etc...) and everyone looking to take pictures of air shows, team sports and cars/bikes left for that purpose's better system.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    Fast C-AF lost it's battle against superior focus systens (Nikon, Canon, etc...) and everyone looking to take pictures of air shows, team sports and cars/bikes left for that purpose's better system.
    True I'm sorry to say.
    And if Olympus do catch up in the focus department, that will not be enough. There will have to be some other compelling features in advance of the competition to make one come back, as the accumulation of lenses and equipment for the alternative system grows. A fact of business; it's a lot easier to lose customers than to gain them.
    M4/3 however is another story.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

You will have to pose that question to Olympus.
    that's about as likely as chatting with aliens

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd
    They aren't doing anything different than they have done in the past.
    You choose to see signs.
    I dont accept that
    mostly people scoop up whatever is there, and rightly or wrongly make some attempt to be positive about it
    to be fair to the userbase there has been quite a lot of disinformation originating from Olympus; 'last SLR' etc that hasnt been helpful
    in my estimation while we hear how 4/3rds hasn't been forgotten,
    with the exception of 1 body in four years that hasn't materialised into products and I find myself considering whether they are being disingenuous or not
    even the recalcitrant Leica does better than that

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd
    You have choices.............
    most people have been patient, beyond patient, and patient some more, while they stamp out the fish tins
    its time they ran their outfit in a professional manner and respect their customers as they have respected them.
    truly, given the circumstances they have created, I dont think that is being unfair
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    Have you considered getting a A.C. to D.C. power supply for the camera, and then purchasing the Alien Bees Mini Vagabond power supply? You should be able to get about 100,000 shots with this setup, and the Mini Vagabond would clamp on to your tripod leg.
    Actually, I have considered that, but none of the m4/3 cameras have a DC power supply available, meaning I'd have to cobble something together (at least I haven't found any Olympus power supplies...). I've used my EP1 for timelapse work very nicely and will miss that as it is going to my older daughter for her use. There I'm limited to about 2 hours of timelapse due to the limitations of the BLS1, I've also used the E30 for timelapse and ran out of time before the battery gave out. There I worked with 1920x1280 native jpgs and boy can you take a lot of photos with that resolution on even a 4GB card. :-)

The Alien Bees power supply looks to be great, given that I could also power the Gigapan unit with it. It does run over $200, though, and that's a lot for just a battery...

Thanks for the suggestion!

JohnF

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mikebbh View Post
    Back up a few posts at #7 JohnF quietly mentioned "gigapan" which I had never heard of. I was intrigued enough to take a look at the image he has linked to and was amazed - 3.64Gb in size - yes that is a G not an M! 6 hours computing time to stitch it all together if I read things right. Lovely picture but what on earth do you need that sort of resolution for?
    Mike
    Very, very large prints that look like they were made with an 8x10 view camera: no grain, extreme resolution. I had a 40x60 inch print of New York done for my daughter, taken from the observation deck of the Empire State building, and you can read the advertising on the side of a bus or on top of a taxi, details that measure, on a 40x60 inch print, less than 1/8th inch. The extreme detail gives the same kind of depth to the picture that large-format work does.

Ultimately no one needs it, just like no one "needs" an 8x10 view camera. But as a quality fetishist, I am exploring just how to increase the quality of my work. :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Actually, I have considered that, but none of the m4/3 cameras have a DC power supply available, meaning I'd have to cobble something together (at least I haven't found any Olympus power supplies...). I've used my EP1 for timelapse work very nicely and will miss that as it is going to my older daughter for her use. There I'm limited to about 2 hours of timelapse due to the limitations of the BLS1, I've also used the E30 for timelapse and ran out of time before the battery gave out. There I worked with 1920x1280 native jpgs and boy can you take a lot of photos with that resolution on even a 4GB card. :-)

The Alien Bees power supply looks to be great, given that I could also power the Gigapan unit with it. It does run over $200, though, and that's a lot for just a battery...

Thanks for the suggestion!

JohnF
    I have only used the E-1, E-3, and the E-5, and never realized the other cameras many not have an A.C. adapter.

I have the Alien Bees Vagabond 1 and the Vagabond 2, and now the Mini Vagabond. Although I take the first two with me as backup on a job, the Mini Vagabond has always been more than enough for any shoot I have done where I need A.C. power. The mini has a lot of power packed into a very small package and it is amazing how many flashes I can get out of it.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.