Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife with E-M5

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Wildlife with E-M5

Here is an interesting link to some experience Pekka Potka has had with E-M5.
    pekkapotka - Journal - Wildlife with*E-M5.

Interesting blog for any photographer, too. Pekka seems to test the new cameras before they are released and he was one of the most famous photograghers in Finland before he sold his company spesialising in studio and still photography.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Default Re: Wildlife with E-M5

Not impressed...

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800/D500
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Yeah, I'm not all that impressed with those photos either. They all seem pretty soft, IMHO. I guess it kind of confirms my suspicion about how well-suited an E-M5 is for wildlife photography (i.e. not). You'd think it would be able to get sharp images of something large like a bear, although maybe it was moving a lot.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think he said that the Oly was able to take pictures with the EVF but a Nikon did not work at all. It was night time and quite dark even in the North.

The AF with 4/3 lenses was terrible - so MF was used with OM-D. So good and bad.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Well, you're right, it does say that. I had just looked at the pictures on my first viewing. My bad. Given the fact that it was dark and MF was used, these are pretty nice shots. Shows the value of an EVF, IMHO.
    Rich
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

All I can say is that the link is a good demonstration why micro4/3 will not replace 4/3 in its present form. I would be embarassed to post that stuff on a "wildlife" photo blog.

Frankly, what is this obsession with "small and light" apparently even at the expenses of quality? Maybe it helps somewhat in the limited field of street photography, but mounting a 90-250mm on the end of a OM-D on a freakin' tripod in a blind? ...Gives head a shake...

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I miss Jens' wildlife photos ............. and I miss him too ...........

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zippski View Post
    All I can say is that the link is a good demonstration why micro4/3 will not replace 4/3 in its present form. I would be embarassed to post that stuff on a "wildlife" photo blog.

Frankly, what is this obsession with "small and light" apparently even at the expenses of quality? Maybe it helps somewhat in the limited field of street photography, but mounting a 90-250mm on the end of a OM-D on a freakin' tripod in a blind? ...Gives head a shake...

Leigh
    zippski
    But how would you get these shots at all in pitch darkness using a DSLR. You couldn't see anything, right?
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That was my takeaway as well. He was there previously with an E-5 and had to quit when it became too dim to compose and focus. The camera change literally means getting shots when he previously could not. And the wolf in the downpour--ISOs of 6400 and 8000. I'd be happy to collect such phots, subsequent poo-pooing from wildlife aficianados nonwithstanding. (Although the brown bear is way too close for comfort!)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    But how would you get these shots at all in pitch darkness using a DSLR. You couldn't see anything, right?
    Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    I miss Jens' wildlife photos ............. and I miss him too ...........
    Ditto.
    Charles

Canon cool aid, but soft spot for Oly :-D

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Did he go with Nikon?
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    Did he go with Nikon?

AFAIK, no .......

Last contact with him with emails, he has a underground drain pipe stuck at home due to a growing root of a plant .....

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ahhh. Well that is something that can be fixed. Glad it's not a health issue.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    Ahhh. Well that is something that can be fixed. Glad it's not a health issue.
    Jens is a strong and healthy guy, and he lives in a beautiful clean country Sweden. His Smugmug gallery last update is July 20, 2012, so it means he is fine, very fine.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Glad to hear this, but are you guys familiar with the concept of hijacking a thread?
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score

No. Please tell us.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    Glad to hear this, but are you guys familiar with the concept of hijacking a thread?
    Sorry, I started it, my bad.

It is due to two reasons, one is I really miss the wildlife photos taken by Jens, second is, seems the delivery of the E-M5 to many parts of the world were delayed, not much people got that and really had enough time to have an intensive test and work in real life, and seems some replies already concluded the photos at the blog can be better.

Again, sorry for this, this answering post also a hijacking .........

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Not impressed...

Cheers, Don
    They look a little crunchy / over sharpened to my eye. His other work I've seen over the years is lovely.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Sorry, I started it, my bad.

It is due to two reasons, one is I really miss the wildlife photos taken by Jens, second is, seems the delivery of the E-M5 to many parts of the world were delayed, not much people got that and really had enough time to have an intensive test and work in real life, and seems some replies already concluded the photos at the blog can be better.

Again, sorry for this, this answering post also a hijacking .........
    No problem.

I find the topic of this thread to be extremely interesting, because it addresses not only the E-M5 for wildlife, but also the good and bad of an EVF for wildlife. The negatives of an EVF for wildlife (smearing, etc) are pretty well known for anyone who has ever had a superzoom, but the positives like lower-light usage are good to know. Also, of course, EVF technology continues to improve and the E-M5 is one of the newer models. So I can see the value of having an EVF camera to complement a DSLR for wildlife photography.
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score

As a self-assignment I shot the E-M5 and MZD 45/1.8 well after dusk last weekend on a backpacking trip, dark enough I could no longer perceive color. Focus wandered before lock but it eventually did, even at distances the focus light couldn't reach. I uploaded my shots late last evening so only perused them briefly, but the couple I played with could be wrestled into useful images in LR (even at ISO6400).

Video shot at the same time has detail not visible to the eye at the time--impressive. The camera has a difficult time deciding where to focus, particularly noticable with the 45, so I think manual focus is necessary if one's serious about the results. It will take a lot of practice to become competent pulling focus in real time. Since I'm used to P&S video, the shallow DOFs rendered by the 45 in the 4/3 format really "pop" in comparison.

Getting back to wildlife (pretty much absent on this trip, other than birds) I suspect what the E-M5 represents is the beginning of the next wave of gear that will extend enthusiast capabilities into the dim hours when the crepuscular critters are out and active. I couldn't have worked my E-5 at that hour, for instance. If somebody wishes to wave off the results as not NG-worth, that's fine. The thrill of bagging the shot will carry the day. I'd give anything to have been with this fellow when he got this very rare shot.

Experts confirm Sierra hiker's photo is of wolverine - Sac Paws - The Sacramento Bee

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jarkko View Post
    I think he said that the Oly was able to take pictures with the EVF but a Nikon did not work at all. It was night time and quite dark even in the North.

The AF with 4/3 lenses was terrible - so MF was used with OM-D. So good and bad.
    I would take that with a pinch of salt as the exif shows most were taken at f/4 @1320sec ISO 6400, not that dark and about the same exposure we get in the UK on a dreary wet day.
    Regards Paul
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Dear Friends!

I heard rumors of the E-7 so I just popped in to MFT to check them out but they seems to be out-of-the-blue speculations - as usual. Would be nice with one coming along sometime in the future.

Anyway, being a wildlife photographer with some recent hands-on experience of the OM-D, this thread title caught my eye. I'm also flattered to see see my name in conjunction with this discussion and that some of you guys have missed my contributions here. Thanks.

So, having some experience with disturbingly low light photography of both bears and wolves using the ZDs 90-250/2.8 and 300/2.8 (+ EC's) I can testify that MF with an E-3/5 OVF is painfully impossible between dusk and dawn. I typically have had to use magnified live-view in order to get it somewhat right. How inconvenient isn't that?

Here are a couple of examples:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	899697862_sm9qj-XL.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	43797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	799352910_ZTBHm-XL.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	43798
    Bear: 250mm, ISO800, f/2.8, 1/60 sec.; Wolves: 425mm, ISO640, f/4, 1/200 sec.

Then I'd prefer a good EVF like the VF-2 or the E-M5's - at least focusing could be done without having to pull out the readers each time. Hence, I have used my E-P2 with the VF-2 many times together with the 300/2.8 or 90-250/2.8 in order to get the shots I wanted (no wolves or bears though) - I don't see what wrong it would be in that.

However, I don't think any 4/3 camera is suited for the type of shooting a wildlife photographer normally does. It requires fast and accurate focus and - very important - fast manual operation of the camera. The 4/3 bodies still have too severe blackout in sequential mode for this and they also have way way too large AF-points in order o pick AF accurately enough on, say, the eye, or even the face at some distance. Forget it if the animal moves fast towards you. Here the 4/3 set with "small sensitivity" AF-point shines. Moreover, the small sizes of the 4/3 bodies(and buttons) make them totally unsuited for extended use where controls have to be used more or less continuously. The right hand gets extremely strained and in winter time... forget it! I use to say that one has to be able to "play the camera" which one cannot with any 4/3 body due to their miniscule buttons. I guess a professional sports photographer, who can't afford to loose any shots, would turn down an E-M5 for the same reasons. On the other hand, I believe that it is a very nice and rugged camera for casual capture of wildlife without the expectations of a pro.

So, bring on the E-7 - i.e., an E-5 body with the E-M5 internals plus improved C-AF.

Cheers, Jens
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Glad to see you here again, Jens.

The E-M5 is a nice camera, however, as you said, it is a bit small, especially the buttons layout, it looks like the E-620 but it isn't feel the same, and some buttons are too small and the location is a bit weird. I can imagine how it will turns to a nightmare at your side during winter time with gloves .....

The EVF of the E-M5 is not too bad, as I told you before, the blackout time is almost the same as a normal DSLR, everything is fine with 4/3 lenses, not with older version of 4/3 lenses........

I bought the 75mm F1.8 recently, very fast AF, superior IQ, I wish I can make some wildlife photos by it, but rare chances here in Hongkong.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Johannes,

I'm lusting for that lens too after having used a MF Carl Zeiss 85/1.4 during the summer for concerts etc. As far as I can understand, it seems like the M.Zuiko 75/1.8 could match it - maybe even beat it.

I tried my son's E-M5 at 5 fps and the EVF black-out was definitely disturbing compared to the E-5 that I'm used to. Too much for comfortably tracking a bird in flight - propably OK for bears and wolves though.

Cheers, Jens
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    I tried my son's E-M5 at 5 fps and the EVF black-out was definitely disturbing compared to the E-5 that I'm used to. Too much for comfortably tracking a bird in flight - propably OK for bears and wolves though.

Cheers, Jens

that sounds strange to me, I tried even the 9fps without problem, could be the short EVF black out requirement for you is higher than me.... especially for wildlife work, or did you test it with a fast card? I am using Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s and it works fine ......