Thread: My hat is off to those that...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Default My hat is off to those that...

shoot weddings for a living...

I shot as a backup shooter for a friend this weekend...it was a paying gig, but I did it mostly to help out a friend. The couple was very laid back, and didn't really have any set shots that they wanted. I was there to help out photographing the groom and his groomsmen, since they were getting ready in a different building, which would have made it rather difficult for one person. After they got ready, my primary shooting position was going to be from behind, since I had the better zoom lens. Unfortunately from that postion (it was an outdoor beach wedding, 2pm start), I was shooting from the shade, with sun being slightly behind the couple, with the lake and beach behind them...the lake an beach acted like a GIANT LIGHT BOX...grrr...made for difficult exposure. I opted to meter on the couple, and just worry about the background later in PP.

In my agreement with my friend, she was going to do all the PP, with me being abe to use my photos for my own use. My day was done shortly after the Ceremony...but I stuck around a bit more for the joy of it. Truly a wonderful time.

Here's a couple of my favs...

"How do you tie a tie? I've practice it like a dozen times" It was rather funny to see them trying to figuring it out. I could have assisted with my military knowledge of a Half Windsor knot, but I opted to just smile (and laugh) and keep shooting. This was after the grooms first (and preferred shirt) didn't fit around his neck...doh!

The vows...and some pre-wedding medicine.

I dare anyone to speak now (or forever hold your peace)

Finally ready...15 minutes before go time!

The Bagpiper

The Bride and FOB

We are gathered

The Kiss...

It's over...now we party...

Welcome to the "Married Club"

The Parent's Toast

Welcome to the Family

The Happy Couple

The Ring Bearer...it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.
    Clint
    Rockin' it Mirrorless Style
    Olympus EM-1, E-PM2, LX-7, S110
    7.5, 12-32, 12-40, 14-42, 20, 25, 45, 75
    Asahi 35 2, SMC Super Tak 135 2.5, Super Tak 200 4
    HLD-7, FL-600r, FL-36r, FL-36, Cactus V5 Duo (x2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Default Re: My hat is off to those that...

I think they all look as good and likely better than "pro" albums I've seen of friend's weddings.

And I agree, there's not enough money in the world to get me to do that job. I can't imagine the pressure. I REALLY can't imagine having done it in the film days.

Nice job, I'd be very proud.
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Thanks for the comments...It'll be interesting to see what she does with my RAW files...and how they stack up to her canon 7D .
    Clint

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Those look really good from here.
    I've done 2 hillbilly weddings for friends as favors and I agree, there aint enough money in the world!
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Thanks Jim. I took around 800 shots in all, but due to bad metering and OFF shots, I probably ended up with 500 usable shots, and about 75-100 keepers. I'm still waiting to see what she does with them.
    Clint

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Those are excellent images. 75-100 keepers in a fast moving, contrasty lighting, and high pressure environment like a wedding is very good. Nice job.

Chuck

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Mike Crosa

Agree with everyone. You did a great job! Keep us in the loop on the final results.
    Mike C
    Enjoying the sun and ocean in Miami

Olympus OMD EM1, EPL1, 17mm, 45mm, 60mm macro, 75-300mm, Rokinon Fish Eye, lens cap lens, Fl-36 flash, Think Tank 30I bag

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Great job, Clint! Those over-bright backgrounds aren't too bad, and actually work for the high key closeup shots.

I agree with others here - wedding photography is hard. If you are the photographer on whom the couple is depending, it is tense because there are no do-overs. I've shot six weddings for friends, as my wedding gifts. Its fun to share such joyful events with couples who view me as a part of their ceremony, not hired help.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Thanks everyone...the other photographer is another week out from posting her results.

Tony, as to your comment on no do-overs...there were so many times when I wanted to say, "can ya just slow down a bit while I frame this properly"...but I didn't...instead, I just screamed at myself when editing the photos and I saw a great shot with half their body chopped off in the frame.
    Clint

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Good job! I think you have some lovely shots there and you have caught the expressions of the folk really well. And no, I would not be a wedding phpotographer.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I did weddings back in the day, Hasselblads and Olympus, Nikons as well. Was fairly good at it, but the pressure can be insanely crazy, and back in the day of film you had to have a really good rapport with the lab to survive the odd catastrophes (like souping C41 in C23 chemistry, yep, that's how long it has been).

You are dealing with people at their absolute best and at their absolute worst. I did around 150 weddings over 4 years and I've seen it pretty much all: weddings cancelled because the best man and the groom took off together (in the 1970s!), have a bride come in two days after the wedding to see if I had the pictures of her kissing someone not the groom (I did, and we had a very interesting long talk...), folks standing up to tell everyone why those two should not be getting married, crying mothers, crying fathers, crying exes, crying grandparents, crying bridesmaids, having to redo mascara for the group photo (everyone's helpless during the ceremonies and immediately afterwards and someone's got to make sure that the group photos aren't catastrophes), and then the festivities begin.

Never been hit on as often in my life with the least interest in following that up. Not that it wasn't tempting at times, but one has to maintain a certain degree of professionalism. :-)

Serious wedding photographers need to understand the roles of each participant, the importance that they play, and capture that in pictures. I specialized in Greek and Russian Orthodox weddings (long story, that one) and suffice to say that the better you capture the meaning of the ceremony for all concerned, the better your post-wedding sales will be. :-)

I am very happy not to be doing it any more. I keep on getting asked to do them and I gently refer anyone asking to someone who is trying to make a living at it. Back in the day I was working 80+ hour weeks, had no weekends, and was both smoking and drinking too much. Getting out of the business kept me sane. :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Wonderful - you should be very pleased.

Regards,

Alan