Thread: Casual shoot using E-5 & E-M5

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Casual shoot using E-5 & E-M5

I took party photos Saturday evening with the E-5+12-60 and E-M5+20/1.7 and 45/1.8. It begain late afternoon outdoors when I relied more on the E-5, but as evening progressed I found myself using the E-M5 more. There came a time, as the light dimmed (dinner was outside) when the E-M5 EVF surpassed the E-5's brilliant OVF, easing composition and frankly, locking focus faster, even with the relatively poky 20. Coupled with its better high-ISO output I found the E-M5 to be the better low-light camera. Not a completely "fair" comparison in that the primes are faster than the 12-60, but as with race cars, you "run what you brung" and I have no fast 4/3 primes besides the 150.

The party moved indoors where I used the E-5 with external flash and the E-M5 primarily available light (and occasionally the popup flash). The E-M5 always locked focus faster, despite light levels that often had it hitting my ISO6400 ceiling. Had to shoot a lot holding the cameras overhead, where the E-5 live view can struggle to focus.

Finding myself drifting into Kirk Tuck's camp with respect to EVFs representing the future. I can't envision a 4/3 OVF better than the E-5's and it was outperformed Saturday once the light waned. If we see a 1080P EVF, the OVF will be completely eclipsed.

My $0.02.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Casual shoot using E-5 & E-M5

I agree, but micro has problem with lenses still. Only primes are of good quality and often still behind hg and shg zooms.
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I think you're both right.

Went from the E3's big bright OVF to the EM5's EVF. One can nitpick here and there, but for me, the bottom line is: the EM5's EVF does replace the E3's OVF nicely. A few things aren't as nice, a lot of things are better. I haven't found the EM5's EVF to be an impediment to proper composition. Low light AF is definitely better. Even using my HG ZD's and the slow AF, the EM5 locks in situations that would baffle the E3.

The lens situation, though... the M43 zooms are sort of lame compared to HG ZD. A lot of lenses are lame compared to HG ZD, they're a tough act to follow. I use my old 50-200 quite a bit on the EM5, M43 has nothing like that right now. Fix the AF situation, Oly, or come up with HG MZD. It cries out for the deadly duo: 12-60+50-200.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Definitely not ready to ditch my 4/3 gear, but I'm surprised at how often the E-M5 surprises me. I got it primarily as an advanced compact substitute, not an slr subsititute, but it's gradually seducing me into thinking the gap is pretty narrow. Certainly agree lens selection is the buggest remaining hurdle.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    I agree, but micro has problem with lenses still. Only primes are of good quality and often still behind hg and shg zooms.
    I agree with both of you.
    (and I think the future of DSLRs will be at the pro end with hybrid viewfinders.
    Regards,
    Alan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

When Panasonic releases the 35-100mm f/2.8; then the -4/3 lens selection is complete for my uses.

I acknowledge that the SHG lenses are great, just like the best Canon L lenses and the Nikon stuff with a gold ring. But to me, I don't need that level of performance.

Why? Because we are moving into an area where pixel sharpness and bokeh details are moving to a level where you need to pixel peep and print at 50x150cm and larger to appreciate it. And I don't wont to go there.

For me it is more important to create a photo that is interesting in content than in presentation; when I can combine it, it is a bonus. So for me, for casual shooting, the humble standard grade kit-lenses are sharp enough. Unfortunately; they are not fast enough. So getting f/2.8 -4/3 zoom lenses that are better than the HG lenses is plenty good enough for me.

OM-D/E-M5 is a very capable machine; so I am not surprised that OP got a lot of nice photos from his party shooting.

On the issue regarding EVF versus OVF; I went to the EVF camp a long time ago, thanks to Panasonic. They have a very nice discrete histogram display that I have turned on, so it is easy to how my exposure is going to end up. I have also turned on a 3 second preview, with highlight warning, so I have an instant feedback whether my highlights are blown not not. That means that I don't need to chimp, and I get more correct exposures than I get with my E-30.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker