Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The latest E-7 speculation

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: The latest E-7 speculation

If I were Olympus I would build the following camera range:

* E-7 with OVF and 10 fps - very quick continuous AF with 4/3 lenses
    * OM-D E-M7 Pro with the above features except with EOF

* OM-D E-M5 as now but also available with a new adapter for quick continuous AF with 4/3 lenses
    * Pen E-PL5 with E-E5 sensor with TruePic VI image processing engine and touch screen
    * Pen E-PM2 with E-E5 sensor with TruePic VI image processing engine and touch screen

* XZ-2 (fixed lens)

So the current E-M5 to replace the E-P3 in the line-up and only two Pen models available. And some new camera bodies to the owners of the magnificent (full) 4/3 lenses! Perhaps I am dreaming but really - all the other are available in Photokina next week except the E-7 or OM-D "Pro" with full 3/3 lens compatibility. Of course the possible E-M7 could be substituted with and AF adapter for E-M5 with full AF C compatibility with "full" 3/4 lenses, too.

So the Olympus range looks already good except for a E-5 successor. And some kind of a successor for E-5 is coming - we just do not know yet WHEN!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real Name
    Martin Muehlemann

Quote Originally Posted by Jarkko View Post
    If I were Olympus I would build the following camera range:

* E-7 with OVF and 10 fps - very quick continuous AF with 4/3 lenses
    * OM-D E-M7 Pro with the above features except with EOF

* OM-D E-M5 as now but also available with a new adapter for quick continuous AF with 4/3 lenses
    * Pen E-PL5 with E-E5 sensor with TruePic VI image processing engine and touch screen
    * Pen E-PM2 with E-E5 sensor with TruePic VI image processing engine and touch screen

* XZ-2 (fixed lens)

So the current E-M5 to replace the E-P3 in the line-up and only two Pen models available. And some new camera bodies to the owners of the magnificent (full) 4/3 lenses! Perhaps I am dreaming but really - all the other are available in Photokina next week except the E-7 or OM-D "Pro" with full 3/3 lens compatibility. Of course the possible E-M7 could be substituted with and AF adapter for E-M5 with full AF C compatibility with "full" 3/4 lenses, too.

So the Olympus range looks already good except for a E-5 successor. And some kind of a successor for E-5 is coming - we just do not know yet WHEN!
    All I would like to know from Olympus is that they are building an E-5 sucessor, no matter if with EVF or OVF, that will support my HG and SHG lenses in a way my current E-5 does. The 12-60 SWD for instance is blasting fast on the E-5 but not on the E-M5

Even if the release is not before 2013, to know that something is coming that will work, I would be certain that my investments are fine.

Cheers
    Martin
    Sony A7S | A7 II | FE 16-35Z OSS | FE 24-70Z OSS | FE 70-200G OSS | Sony 70-400G2 SSM | Minolta AF 24/2.8 RS | EF 100L IS Macro | Metabones Mark IV | LA-EA4 | Metz 52 AF-1

Olympus E-M1 | mZuiko 12-40 f/2.8 | mZuiko 40-150 f/2.8 | HLD-7

My pictures at FC

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    All I would like to know from Olympus is that they are building an E-5 sucessor, no matter if with EVF or OVF, that will support my HG and SHG lenses in a way my current E-5 does.
    This we can be certain of. Despite their gibberish, they have said multiple times that they are working on something to support the existing users with Four Thrids lenses.

On a side note, the Nikon D600 looks excellent apart from price, which I'm sure will come down. Even now it's a good deal for what are getting. I hear a Canon is working on a 6D to offer another "cheap" full frame option. Even if these two cameras aren't perfect, at the very least it will cause competition, shake up the used gear market and should lower the price of the, already thrifty, used 5D Mk II. At least there's options if Oly doesn't deliver a "big" OVF camera.

I'd hope new PENs resemble the more masculine E-PL2, than the sleek slippery 3rd generation models. The grip and the materials just feel better than the newer ones, not to mention the fact that it actually has a flash. I don't see it necessary for a swing-out or tilt screen on a smaller model.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Great line....

Right now I'm personally very pessimistic at seeing an E7 at Photokina or even later on in 2013. It looks as if its going to be more m43 - cameras, lenses and the an update to the super compact .

If as has been suggested by Oly that theyre working on a solution to allow the HG/SHGs to focus better, that to me says theyre looking at an adapter for m43 and not a new FT camera. In that interview which was latter amended... Akira was referring to FT lenses as legacy glass which surprised me. So they've made a right pigs ear out of the whole "announcement" and made matters even worse for those that are still using the E-system.
    E3, E1, 35-100F2, 14-54, 14-45, FL50.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It appears that it is possible to make a silk purse into a pigs ear.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The Oly press conference is starting now at the Photokina... let's wait an hour or two to know about the future of the 4/3 !

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real Name
    Martin Muehlemann

Any news?
    Sony A7S | A7 II | FE 16-35Z OSS | FE 24-70Z OSS | FE 70-200G OSS | Sony 70-400G2 SSM | Minolta AF 24/2.8 RS | EF 100L IS Macro | Metabones Mark IV | LA-EA4 | Metz 52 AF-1

Olympus E-M1 | mZuiko 12-40 f/2.8 | mZuiko 40-150 f/2.8 | HLD-7

My pictures at FC

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

There is nothing there that indicates to me that they are working on the e7, more likely it would be closer to an EM-7, an upgrade to the OMD. If they are at a stage were they plan to release it in 10 months or so, they already have all the engineering done and know whether its an e-X or an EM-X style.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Holy camera announcements batman! It might still be dark for an E-7, but look at everything else announced today. New PENs, XZ-2, GH3, 6D, etc. I have yet to read about them.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score

likely it would be closer to an EM-7
    But definitely better than nothing...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olympusman View Post
    But definitely better than nothing...
    Not necessarily, there is a reason why many people are still interested in the FT system other than the lenses. A hopped up OMD isn't what I'm looking for.
    ​John Nicklin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

what ever they come up with, it is going to COST
    If you start from the bottom with a new brand, it will be more expensive to get the same lens quality, no ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Ya'know, John,
    For old (DSLR) farts like us, there might not be any other choice.

Say they come out with a hopped up OM-D, something you can hold in your hands rather than your finger tips. If it works, that is, it focuses the big lenses and the EVF is as Watanabe-san says, ‘At a certain point most people will be satisfied with replacing their optical finder with an EVF,' then what do we do?
    IF...they come out with a FT camera with the OM-D or better sensor and the OM-D or MUCH better EVF, and say, that's it guys, take it or leave it, what do we do? I for one would give it a good look before I end up spending the same amount of money on a good Nikon body and a couple of good lenses for the price of the E-somethingorother body alone. My guess is, again from reading between the lines, that what ever they come up with, it is going to COST. "Basic technology development-wise, we will focus on high-end models and mainly compact system cameras.'"
    They are not going to make us each a custom made body, so we will have to either take what they offer or jump. Maybe they envision themselves giving Leica a run for their money in the exclusive camera market. It will be exclusive, all right. It will exclude me, for one!

More reading:
    Olympus E-7 on the way? | News | TechRadar
    I am expecting them to come out with some hopped up mFT rig, that's fine by me. If it does all of things I want it to do and I can see that it will move me forward, then I might buy it. Same thing if they delivered a new FT body, I'd have to evaluate it as well.

If Oly were to produce the e7 and announce that it was the end of the line, I'd buy something else. Oly isn't the only camera maker, I don't expect them to make custom cameras for me, I just expect them to be more transparent, and that's not going to happen, too much of a cultural shift.

If they did say "take it or leave it" I'd politely tell them to keep it in their inventory.
    ​John Nicklin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Panasonic released a rather nice body today - the GH3. If Olympus released a OM-D around that size and ergonomy; I am interested.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olympusman View Post
    If you start from the bottom with a new brand, it will be more expensive to get the same lens quality, no ?
    It will cost money one way or the other. If you want to use your FT glass on a camera big enough to make them ergonomically enjoyable, you buy the next FT camera, something like the e7. Assuming that the e7 is the last of its breed, you may be postponing the cost of moving to another platform and spending significant money in the short term.
    ​John Nicklin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm waiting to see what the next day or so brings up but I'm not holding my breathe on an E-7 as I very much doubt that there will be one. What I find odd is that a company like Sony can R&D and bring to market a range of cam's that cater for existing (FF/APS-C) and Nex's range and yet we have Oly who can't even bring an updated DSLR after 2+ years and really doesn't care about their existing E System users (ahh the old farts ...)... I'm going to now use my 35-100F2 as a door stop and get my mits on a Lomocam..
    E3, E1, 35-100F2, 14-54, 14-45, FL50.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    Panasonic released a rather nice body today - the GH3. If Olympus released a OM-D around that size and ergonomy; I am interested.
    I am interested too. I am very curious to see how it does with FT lenses, though I am not holding my breath. It will be pricey with the 12-35mm, so I am looking for alternatives. I like it's video specs a lot, but I'll have live with the EVF and expensive or poor lenses (nothing in between).

The 6D has not impressed me yet, as it's the price of the D600, yet falls short on specs. It also seems like little-to-no improvement over the much cheaper (used) 5D2. Which then makes it a matter who's lenses are the best value. I don't see the point in APS-C now that FT has pretty much the same quality and has other benefits. So it's 35mm or FT. If I'm going to carry an SLR I don't want to have to do crop-factor calculations and would like the best lens selection. Call it laziness, but I just want a 24mm lens to act like the wide angle it was designed to be. This also allows (in the case of the D600 especially) the best use of legacy lenses.
    -Mark

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

The 6D might look underwhelming when we look at the specs; but I suspect that it will be like a lot of the Canon models lately; plain workhorses without real weaknesses and much better performance in real life than the specs should indicate. As long as you are not interested in action photography; it will be a very nice camera.

The Nikon D600 is better specced on paper; but I am not sure if it transaltes in better performance in real life. With the exception of AF performance for action; that will be a bit better.

I expect that prices on both bodies will fall in 6-9 months; and I suspect Canon to have better margins here, and can push the 6D price really low if necessary.

For me; it is currently the 6D, D600 and GH3 that is most interesting for me.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I don't like the any of the new FF cameras one bit.

AF seems packed in the middle since they're using APSC AF sensors which are completely mismatched.

I'll most likely get FF for work, and D800 should fit the bill nicely since D600 is not much cheaper and D800 is a more complete and future proof camera.

In my eyes Olympus has thrown the towel in regard to pro market completely. They have all but abandoned their DSLR line and haven't updated their fantastic 43 lenses with new tech and fast motors.

I mean, m43 is nice and all, great for someone as a casual walk around solution, but I need durable gear with lot of external controls and good battery life.

In order to support 43, Olympus would have to do much more than simply make an E-5 with OMD sensor. They'd have to improve AF, issue updated versions of SHG lenses and make few new ones, not to mention offer modern weather sealed flash with gels and preferably radio triggering.
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

@Mar; I don't think it's something new with the small AF area - most FF cameras I have seen; does suffer from the same problem in some degree.

I won't protest on the statement that olympus have thrown in the towel in regard the pro market; but were they ever really in it?

Both the D600 and 6D will suit me fine; but if Panasonic has fixed the problems the older 16Mpx sensors; the GH3 is the body that pushes the right buttons for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    AF seems packed in the middle since they're using APSC AF sensors which are completely mismatched.
    This is one of the areas I care least about. On every autofocus camera I've had, I have always used the center AF point. I don't like the camera randomly choosing the part of the image to focus on. If I were to take the time to manually select an AF point for a shot, I could more easily and quickly swing the camera in that direction, AF lock, and recompose. I only need one good AF point. In the eyes of a non-professional, both new "cheap" FF options have more than enough. I'd in fact take less at a lower price tag if it were possible, but I wouldn't sacrifice build quality.
    -Mark

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jnicklin View Post
    Assuming that the e7 is the last of its breed, you may be postponing the cost of moving to another platform and spending significant money in the short term.
    John, I agree so much... but I guess it is an indication of age... a final good step upgrade to an E-7, even if it is the last 4/3 body, will probably do me well for the remaining time I have when I think I can go out shooting the things I like to shoot... and if it is truly the end of the line, then getting one new, and then other used one as the market collapses, will serve me well... If not, then I will follow that strategy with the E-5. But unless there is a lottery win in my future, I see another body as about the only purchase I'm likely to be able to make - - so my rationale is purely selfish. LOL!
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score

[QUOTE=tomsi42;611702]The 6D might look underwhelming when we look at the specs; but I suspect that it will be like a lot of the Canon models lately; plain workhorses without real weaknesses and much better performance in real life than the specs should indicate. As long as you are not interested in action photography; it will be a very nice camera.

Actually, I like the look of that 6D. I am having a bit of a reaction these days to the excesses of modern cameras. I look at the 6D and note it has everything most of us actually need well covered, provided the autofocus is quick and accurate and the sensor is clean with a decent dynamic range (surely it must be!). It is the lightest of the big sensor cameras too.

I think the word "practical" comes to mind!

Now Canon will really be challenged - where are the cheap, sharp zoom lenses such a body requires?

(Sorry about the formatting stuff-up, don't know what happened.)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I really get a kick out of this thread. 11,813 views and 8 pages of posts mainly about how bad Olympus is and how great everyone else is. On your way out, ship that worthless FT gear that you don't want to me. I'll give it a good home.