Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The latest E-7 speculation

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default The latest E-7 speculation

Interesting speculation that the E-7 will in fact be introduced this year, after originally being cancelled, and that the E-M5 sensor and IBIS is actually from the E-7 development.

..."“According to those sources, the E-7 has been in development for quite some time now, and got initially canceled early this year. Both claim that the “Sony sensor” and IBIS were originally developed for the E-7 and that the E-M5 is in fact a spin-off of this technology. Once the E-M5 was established as a product, it was decided to continue the introduction of the E-7 anyway since it was as nearly finished, and mostly needed testing. Neither source mentioned an introduction date, but suggested that ‘this year would be extremely likely because it is already being tested.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: The latest E-7 speculation

I doubted it.

The new 5 axis IBIS will bring a new headache for a DSLR, how the AF sub-mirror compensates the 5 axis IBIS? they need to think in a different way ...........

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I don't get how would new IS work in E-7.
    Sure, it's great on E-M5 because it's Live View, but on optical finder, it would work the same as an old mechanical one when it comes to practical application.
    VF would still be shaky and AF wouldn't benefit from IS at all.

Olympus should just let the old DSLR tech die in a sense they should concentrate on mirrorless tech.
    Just make a successor to E-M5 with bigger battery, same modular grip option, better and bigger EVF and on-sensor PDAF and that would be it.

It would be a perfect camera for people who own 43 lenses because you could have 2 systems in one camera.
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Wrong wrong WRONG.

Those are all idle speculation and none of it is true.
    The E7 is no due this year.
    If it comes out in 2012 it would be a welcome event.
    The two lines of cameras and their development are, were and will be separate.
    You can take my word for it or not. It is your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
    Interesting speculation that the E-7 will in fact be introduced this year, after originally being cancelled, and that the E-M5 sensor and IBIS is actually from the E-7 development.

..."“According to those sources, the E-7 has been in development for quite some time now, and got initially canceled early this year. Both claim that the “Sony sensor” and IBIS were originally developed for the E-7 and that the E-M5 is in fact a spin-off of this technology. Once the E-M5 was established as a product, it was decided to continue the introduction of the E-7 anyway since it was as nearly finished, and mostly needed testing. Neither source mentioned an introduction date, but suggested that ‘this year would be extremely likely because it is already being tested.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I don't see it myself, Olympus have nothing to gain by it.

It will not increase there market share as no one will now buy into their DSLR products as it is now seen as a dead end, and the existing customer base is now tiny compared to what it was, so financially and especially in their currant circumstances it would be a loss maker and financial suicide .
    Regards Paul
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post

It will not increase there market share as no one will now buy into their DSLR products as it is now seen as a dead end, and the existing customer base is now tiny compared to what it was, so financially and especially in their currant circumstances it would be a loss maker and financial suicide .
    not replacing E5, now the only 4/3 camera, makes that a certainty
    it could have been different
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post

I think the effect of this is that some 4/3 users are bailing and selling their gear. Even if they are moving to m4/3 it is still a different system albeit while remaining brand loyal. I have just bought a shg lens that I have wanted for years but could not afford from this site. While upgrading bodies is fun, my E5 is all I want and there would have to be a very significant upgrade to make me want to change it. It has had 2.6k actuation's only, and is built to last for 150k I believe, so should last a long time. My only hope is that Olympus will service it and the lenses if necessary in the future should they abandon the format.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    Wrong wrong WRONG.

If there's no E-7 this year, there will be precious few people still around to buy one when it does come out. The E-M5 is making sure of that.

DH

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Those who say FT is dead are the very ones killing it. The system isn't dead, they just have a 2-4 year cycle for camera releases. Of course people aren't going to be purchasing into this system when there's no product to buy. Also, as far as lenses go, most people still shooting four thirds have the lenses they desire. This makes the market seem less active. Lack of sales and a slow moving/buyer's market does not mean that people aren't using the FT gear they already own. There will not be mFT lenses that are equal to the classic HG lenses in every way, and certain types of photography are better done with a larger SLR body, especially when larger lenses are involved. The E-3 was great, but held it's value too long, and now that it's a bargain, few are willing to carry it around when better sensor quality (ignoring from lenses, AF) is available in cheaper and lighter packages. The E-5 was too little, too late, too much $. I couldn't pull the trigger. The image quality was with my expectations but video was generations behind, and the price was too high compared to other products on the new and used market. At the same time, prime lenses I've wanted for FT have been made for mFT, and I've realized the system to be nice for casual, discrete, non-important photography. For me to use mFT I decided to give up on zooms and change the way I approach photography. I think the systems complement each other and are ideal for different attitudes and expectations. In my old train of thought, an SLR is a requirement. Looking at SLRs, an E-7 could be fantastic. The biggest competition to an E-7 in my mind, is a used 5D mkII. The E-7 needs to be priced under $1200, or outperform the 5d2. It NEEDS to have GH2 video capabilities or better. At that feature set and price point, you would get more for your money than Canon or Nikon can offer. Especially considering lenses. The E-M5 is only about one stop behind the 5d2's ISO performance, despite the sensor differences. Give the E-7 a two stop advantage due to F2 lenses (compared to F4), and the E-7 could actually do better in low light than competitor's products for the same price. So for me, I'm waiting here with my E-PL2 until I can see what's announced. It's between an E-7 with fantastic used HG/SHG glass, a used 5d2 with overpriced, underwhelming glass (and other drawbacks), or a GH3 (hopefully not poor build quality) with poor/expensive zoom choices, primes only, or slow/no AF with adapted glass.

TL;DR. I like mFT for leisurely, casual photography. For anything important or involving larger lenses/flashes/etc a larger system and OVF feels right. The E-7 could get a worthy market share, and even keep up with competition if it's done right and is the camera we've been waiting for. The system is not dead, we're stuck waiting for new product to buy.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It seems like this post is pretty much a repeat of other posts we have had ever since the E-1 was released, where there are people who believe the next flagship camera is just about to be released, and other who believe this is the end of the line for the E-X cameras.

The discussion of features may be different, but the overall tone of the post is pretty much the same.

I have always admired the technical abilities of the Olympus Engineers which led me to purchase the E-10, E-1, E-3, and the E-5. I hope I have the opportunity to purchase the E-7 as well.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I would like to see more time go by and more development. Unless of course Olympus has really came up with something. Other companies go years between pro models and their faithful hold out willingly. I think Olympus faithful expect to much to soon and are some of the most impatient shooters on the market. Gee, how many clicks do you have on that E5 already?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    I think Olympus faithful expect to much to soon and are some of the most impatient shooters on the market. Gee, how many clicks do you have on that E5 already?
    It would be different if I had an E-5, but I've been waiting for something like this since around 2009. Long development times are fine, when the old model was state of the art (the E-5 was certainly not), and when the releases coincide with drastic market and technology changes. Due to the specific timing that Olympus released their last few bodies, they missed out on what we've now come to expect. For example, if the E-30 and E-620 came months later, they probably would have had video. We may have been able to go longer without an E-7 if the E-5 had come a little later with better video, and slightly better performance all around, not to mention at a lower price. We could also blame the constant use of 12MP Panasonic sensors with little improvement between models. Had Oly sourced a different sensor a couple years ago we could have seen more significant improvement in 2009-2011 cameras.

If I'm lucky enough to purchase a new camera that has everything I've been wanting, I'd love to keep that camera for 5+ years. However, due to disappointing specs, high MSRP, and depreciation, I usually buy used and sell when most cost effective, causing me to turn around gear more often than I'd like.

I was patient and waited a long time before I started buying HDTVs. Waited until technology/specs and price were what I wanted. However it's different with cameras. The longer you wait, you miss opportunities. I've got gear to get me by, but I'm not going out of my way to plan and create an involved photo/video project until I have the right equipment.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I got an E-5 when it was first available, so mine's got about 60k on the shutter.. and I have enough good Oly 4/3 lenses that I am rarely in a situation where I say to myself, "I wish I had a better camera or better lenses." if ever. I would eagerly continue to buy low shutter count used E-5s at bargain prices for the next ten years and never (wish) for better gear than this.

Now, an E-7 would probably make me drool.. if Oly has found a way to get closer to 10 fps. That's about all I'm missing. (and a 200-400mm f/4)

I see myself shooting oly until I can't see anymore, one way or the other - but am very reluctant to give up the optical viewfinder being a quick shooting surfer. Sure the micro 4/3 have their applications, but imo it's going to be hard to top the dslr cameras that are already out there of all brands with future releases by much, unless you're counting megapixels or measuring noise at 12800 ISO lol.
    All that I share with you is purely my personal perspective based on my own experiences. Feel free to constructively criticize my opinions and my photos, please!
    Rob

E-5/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I think the biggest downfall of the E5 was it wasn't enough of an improvement over the E3 for many to take the plunge. I think perhaps waiting and releasing it along side the E-M5 with the same sensor and some of the same features would have been a better choice in the long run.
    Now that I am shooting Sony full frame I now go to different forums and I have noticed few Sony users complain that Sony hasn't yet came out with a new full frame nor do they worry there will never be another one come out.
    I think because between Olympus and Panasonic a new m4/3rd camera is put out at least once a year shooters expect the same from their DSLRs.
    As far as the EVF between what a saw with the NEX7 and the E-M5 either way Oly gos on the E7 it is fine with me.
    I have two a850s and 90% of the time those are my go to cameras and could care less if Sony puts out a new full frame any time soon the a850 get the job done and I still enjoy using them.
    I think the E5 is a stunning camera and short of high ISO noise it can stand beside anything you put it up against and Olympus lenses are as good as Carl Zeiss lenses at twice the price.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thebinaryman View Post
    Those who say FT is dead are the very ones killing it. The system isn't dead, they just have a 2-4 year cycle for camera releases.
    I don't know if it's dead or not. The point is simply that the longer Olympus waits, the more E-5 and E-3 owners there are who try the E-M5, like it, and in fairly short order sell off their 4/3 gear (a good number on this very forum alone). With rare exception, those are not people who will be looking to spend $1700 on an E-5 with E-M5 internals by next fall. Particularly once they've spent the money on a nice m4/3 lens collection that is useless on any 4/3 camera.

DH

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by srf4real View Post
    Now, an E-7 would probably make me drool. if Oly has found a way to get closer to 10 fps. That's about all I'm missing. (and a 200-400mm f/4)
    Exactly my thought. 10 fps and the 200-400 mm lens and - perhaps - the OM-D sensor. Then my world could be pretty complete for the rest of my photographing life. ...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am invested in both families (E-510, E-3, E-5, E-P3, E-M5) and have more lenses than I really need for both. Do I worry about FT going away? Not really. I have enough gear to keep me happy for the foreseeable future and not enough time to really use it the way I would like. Am I holding my breath waiting for the E-7 to come out? No, I don't need it but will probably buy one if it can perform like an E-M5. I still find that there are times when the uFT cameras are the better choice and there are times when the FT cameras are. I for one will continue using both.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saburns View Post
    I have enough gear to keep me happy for the foreseeable future and not enough time to really use it the way I would like.
    Good point, Steve.

As for me, do I want there to be an E-7? Yes! Do I want it to be a solid performer? Of course! But I can wait for it to get here in its own time.

Because what I want most of all is more opportunity to get out and shoot with the gear I have now. They say life is too short to drink cheap beer (or whiskey). Well, it's also too short to worry about my next camera instead of being out there using the camera I actually have.

FWIW.

John
    Last edited by elbows2; 08-10-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
    E-5, E-3, E-500; ZD 9-18, 12-60, 14-54 I, 35, 50, 50-200 SWD, PL 25; EC-14; FL-50, HLD-4
    E-M5; m.ZD 12-50, MMF-3, HLD-6
    Nikon D800,
    Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR II, 105mm f/2.8G ED IF VR micro
    B+W & Cokin filters, Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Acratech GP ball head

jlhemingwayphotos.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    Wrong wrong WRONG.

That's easy - "Not." Olympus has publicly stated on several occasions that the two lines cross hybridize each others technology.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    It seems like this post is pretty much a repeat of other posts we have had ever since the E-1 was released, where there are people who believe the next flagship camera is just about to be released, and other who believe this is the end of the line for the E-X cameras.

The discussion of features may be different, but the overall tone of the post is pretty much the same.

I have always admired the technical abilities of the Olympus Engineers which led me to purchase the E-10, E-1, E-3, and the E-5. I hope I have the opportunity to purchase the E-7 as well.
    Me too.
    Regards,
    Alan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

It isn't easy this. I do enjoy using my E-30 in good light. But above ISO 800 it sucks. The E-5 is better; but not that much better. And I think it is a bit too large. The E-M5 sensor does deliver the performance I need to be happy. And I would like to have proper DSLR body with that so I can enjoy my Sigma 10-20mm and ZD 14-54mm when the sun isn't shining and the days get short. So for me, an E-50 would be the optimal body; but I can live with an E-7 if the price is right.

Will there be an E-7? Or E-50? I don't know. But I think Olympus needs to announce and release an updated 4/3 body soon to instill some confidence in the system.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Olympus can be coy about how and when they do things, but for the most part, they have followed their general policy statements. Olympus stated a few years ago, that new development would be for M43, with advances being moved to 4/3. Thus, the Pens, with the new sensor and lighter AA filter making it to the E5. So the notion that the new sensor and IBIS was for the E7 goes against that general policy statement.

And the wild success of the EM5, coming at a time when Oly needed some really good news, pretty much seals that. It struck a chord with advanced amateurs who owned C/N gear, quite a few of them have bought it as a small solution, needing only fast zooms to make it their primary solution. And here's Oly sitting on some of the best fast zooms ever made.

Hmmm... how do you solve that problem? There has to be a brilliant moment of inspiration in there somewhere.

My experience has been: the EM5 plus grip plus HG ZD is a very workable combination... except for the slow AF. HG glass really brings the new sensor to life. The EVF, which I had misgivings about, is pretty decent. All Oly really needs to do is - fix the slow ZD AF. Address that, and at least in my opinion, that's the 'one beautiful system'.

You may seen an E7, but the handwriting should be very clear on this wall - Oly is moving away from the large 4/3 bodies. They aren't selling. There won't be a smaller 4/3 body, not when the smaller EM5 is selling as quick as they can be made, and not while M43 is making serious inroads into the small DSLR market.

If you want to also believe that they'll drop support of the HG and SHG glass, and sell yours off to me cheap, I'll be glad to take it. I'm betting that Oly will fix the ZD AF problem.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

One thing that Olympus could do, is to release PDAF based adapter like Sony's LA-EA1 and a little larger OM-D body.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    One thing that Olympus could do, is to release PDAF based adapter like Sony's LA-EA1 and a little larger OM-D body.
    Not enough room to fit the prism/pellicle mirror. 4/3 has a shorter registration distance than APS. Also, NEX doesn't use IBIS and doesn't have the SSWF in front of the sensor, two things that require a bit more room in front of the sensor.

Best hope is PDAF on sensor, especially as they need that for better C-AF, too.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

In regards to the new IS; who says the E-7 will have an optical viewfinder ?
    Capturing the beauty of nature, one frame at a time.

Prints available @: http://double-s-posure.smugmug.com; http://stan-wojtaszek.artistwebsites.com

E5, E30, E-510, 9-18, 14-54, 14-42, Sigma 105, 50-200, EC14, FL50R and a bunch of other stuff.