Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The latest E-7 speculation

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: The latest E-7 speculation

If the E-7 were to be as good a the OM-D I'll be ready. The old E3 is still going strong after all these years but it's time for an upgrade. The E5 did not have enough to make me want to upgrade.
    Woodcrawling gear:E3, E620, OM-D EM-5 + ZD 9-18 f4.5.6 + ZD 14-54 f2.8-3.5 + SIGMA 105 F2.8 macro + ZD 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD + ZD 300 f2.8 + SIGMA 135-400 f4.0-5.6 + EC20 + FL-36 + M-Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ & 40-150mm f4-5.6R + HLD-6 grip + Mju tough 8010 + Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 486RC2 head + Manfrotto 393 heavy tele lens support
    http://woodcrawler.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

from an Olympus forum/site/thingo elsewhere

17th August 2012
    Olympus confirms new camera body for Four Thirds lenses
    Akira Watanabe, manager of Olympus Imaging's SLR planning department, confirmed today that the company is definitely working on a body to deliver the focusing performance expected by users of the Top Pro lens series like the ground breaking 90-250 f2 fixed aperture zoom.
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Source?

"... 90-250 f2 fixed aperture zoom..." Something new in the brewing or just written by someone not familiar with the ground breaking 4/3 lens line-up?

Cheers, Jens
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ive had posts of mine blown away for reasons I couldnt figure out, something to do with outside sites etc
    lets just say it comes from someone named 'Ian'
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well, when I started this little thread I didn't expect it to be so active.

Anyway, Olympus UK has officially posted the Watanabe comments of the new pro-level body comming. Per Olympus UK : "BREAKING NEWS!! "Olympus working on new body for top-pro lenses
    Akira Watanabe, manager of Olympus Imaging's SLR planning department, confirmed today that the company is definitely working on a body to deliver the focusing performance expected by users of the Top Pro lens series like the ground breaking 90-250 f2.8 fixed aperture zoom.

Watanabe has been delighted with the success of the OM-D which has pushed the boundaries of performance for system cameras but acknowledged that it did not deliver with the legacy high end lenses from the E-System. Whilst further information wasn't forthcoming, he was keen to emphasise that Olympus is actively developing a solution and will announce more details in due course.
    " https://www.facebook.com/OlympusUK

Also, Amazon has the four thirds 90-250mm f2 for sale at only $6 thousand. Amazon.com: Olympus 90-250mm f/2.8 Zuiko Lens for E Series DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Olympus interview: New camera for E-system lenses (update) | Photography news - Camera news, photo news and photography events | Amateur Photographer

Speaking to a small group of journalists at a business centre near Frankfurt Airport, yesterday, Watanabe added: 'We haven't discontinued the E-5, E-30 or E-620.'

by Akira Watanabe, manager of Olympus Imaging's SLR planning department
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    LOL. That sounds like a plan. What will power.
    Will power is easier if you already have the E5. Which was worth it to me for the better high-ISO and the AF Adjust, so I could use the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 on an Oly body.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TedKurkowski View Post
    Will power is easier if you already have the E5. Which was worth it to me for the better high-ISO and the AF Adjust, so I could use the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 on an Oly body.
    I must agree. With the E-5 I am actually indifferent to what Oly may do or not do next.. but I'm sure that the E-7 will have some features that I just won't be able to live without when it is announced!
    All that I share with you is purely my personal perspective based on my own experiences. Feel free to constructively criticize my opinions and my photos, please!
    Rob

E-5/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I was not tempted by the E-5 with my E-30, but if the E-7 has better noise performance at high ISOs, then I might be tempted to buy my first brand new DSLR... assuming that's what it is. There really is little else I am looking for at this time.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    I would like to see more time go by and more development. Unless of course Olympus has really came up with something. Other companies go years between pro models and their faithful hold out willingly. I think Olympus faithful expect to much to soon and are some of the most impatient shooters on the market. Gee, how many clicks do you have on that E5 already?
    I think they expect too much because of bad press (knockers from the canikony camp) & ridiculous imaginations from rumour mongers & are driven into believing they are falling behind 'the Joneses'.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M5 with HLD-6, E30 with HLD-4, E520.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-42, ZD40-150, ZD70-300, ZD14-54 II, ZD35 macro, EC14, EX25, OM50 1.8, OM28 2.8, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50. Other: Soligor bellows & adapters. Velbon Sherpa 600R tripod.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Won't be surprised they announce an OM-D for 4/3 lenses... and also an E-7 ! ! !

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    I think that is right, John. Actually, highest on the list for me would be better high ISO performance. The E-30 begins to lose it at 800 unless the light is good. I really notice it now with the 600mm scope where I really need to push it. 400 is quite manageable. If I could get the same quality out of 1600-3200 I would be in heaven.
    That's where the E-M5 with the Sony sensor would do well (I'm happy to take mine up to ISO6400) & any new body with it would be worthwhile.
    Ross
    Lenses: M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-42, ZD40-150, ZD70-300, ZD14-54 II, ZD35 macro, EC14, EX25, OM50 1.8, OM28 2.8, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50. Other: Soligor bellows & adapters. Velbon Sherpa 600R tripod.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Source?

"... 90-250 f2 fixed aperture zoom..." Something new in the brewing or just written by someone not familiar with the ground breaking 4/3 lens line-up?

Cheers, Jens
    I believe Ian said it was a rushed blog & he hasn't yet corrected the 'fixed' to 'constant' yet.
    Ross

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    To me, this small stuff is like putting training wheels on a Harley. I realize I could ride a Harley with training wheels, but why would they do it.

The thing you have to grasp is that more of these "Pro" camera's including Nikon and Canon are sold to amateurs and to medallion man with more money then sense than to actual Pro's, and to leave them off would be marketing suicide.
    Regards Paul
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Thanks
    Feedback Score

If they do release an E-7, they'd better drop the price on it. Honestly, Olympus is priced out of the game with the large sized DSLR. I loved my E-3, but after I used a Canon 5D with 50mm F/1.4 I was hooked. With the pricing of an E-5, with the price of the better lenses, the lack of fast primes and the challenge with DOF control, and the very small used market exchange ... Olympus regarding non-micro gear is becoming irrelevant. I used to know only handful of people that had Olympus E-x bodies, and maybe twice that for the E-xxx bodies. Now, I only 2 people.

Olympus definitely won't increase their market share with an E-7 body. If anything, they may just slow the loss of it in the segment just a bit ... but still not enough. I can't see how this camera could solely be used by pros, maybe used alongside another system. The only reason the E-M5 interests me is because of the size/weight factor vs. my FF bodies and my Canon 7D with 70-200 F/2.8 IS. You would think that with their micro market doing well, they would release some faster zoom lenses for it?!? If they do and at a reasonable price, then I'll finally pick up an E-M5. Until then, I'll just peruse the 4/3 forums out of curiosity.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Agree on the pricing .. unless the new cam just knocks the spots of the 7D/D300s in IQ, AF performance, Size, weight, VF, LCD resolution, etc etc, they can't pitch it at the same price as they did with the E-5. Which in my personal opinion, Oly was gouging their UK customers on the E-5's price. I realise its a semi-pro body, sealed etc but they need to price it at the £1000-1200 max mark and it'll sell to a slighly bigger group - those that went for the E30 would I think consider an E7 at that price range.
    E3, E1, 35-100F2, 14-54, 14-45, FL50.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Of course you are going to sell more if you price it less but that only makes business sense if you are still making a profit on each unit. And they have to take into account R&D costs and other overhead. Maybe they are pricing them too high, maybe they aren't. Without seeing all the numbers you can't make that judgement.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real Name
    Martin Muehlemann

I had an E-5 with 12-60SWD, 14-35, 35-100, 50-200SWD. Now I have a 5D Mark III, 24-105, 24-70, 70-200 Mark II. I am not impressed of the standard zoom. Both are soft wide open. Disortion at 24mm and corners are very bad.

I am really wondering about the specs of the E-7 to jump back to Olympus.

Cheers
    Martin
    Sony A7S | A7 II | FE 16-35Z OSS | FE 24-70Z OSS | FE 70-200G OSS | Sony 70-400G2 SSM | Minolta AF 24/2.8 RS | EF 100L IS Macro | Metabones Mark IV | LA-EA4 | Metz 52 AF-1

Olympus E-M1 | mZuiko 12-40 f/2.8 | mZuiko 40-150 f/2.8 | HLD-7

My pictures at FC

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saburns View Post
    Of course you are going to sell more if you price it less but that only makes business sense if you are still making a profit on each unit. And they have to take into account R&D costs and other overhead. Maybe they are pricing them too high, maybe they aren't. Without seeing all the numbers you can't make that judgement.
    It's the old "We sell every car below our cost, we make up for the loss in volume" joke!
    Jim Couch
    Portland, OR, USA
    www.unicornphotography.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Interesting that the latest rumours (and just rumours) say that there are both E-6 and E-650 coming. So no E-7 and a cheaper body. I am interested in the E-6, though, as I am sure my daughter - who's still studying - is interested in the E-650. We both need reasonably fast C-AF and hence not keen on mF/T ...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Great line....

Quote Originally Posted by JBC View Post
    It's the old "We sell every car below our cost, we make up for the loss in volume" joke!
    Great line. When I heard it, it was universalized to cover any kind of business.

"We lose a little bit on every transaction, but we make it up on volume...."

It's a business standard in these trying times. You can see it all around us.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    I don't care what they call it as long as they put a better sensor in it!
    e6 or e7, it's just a name. Some English dude said it wisely, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Whether Oly delivers just the "pro" model or two in the form of e7 and e70 or e7xx or whatever is a decision that only Oly knows.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Great line....

Quote Originally Posted by saichiez View Post
    Great line. When I heard it, it was universalized to cover any kind of business.

lots of reasons
    thats because with volume comes cheaper component purchasing
    perhaps better line balancing
    factories are designed for a given output, and this isnt very flexible
    if that output is too low then the fixed costs are disproportionally high per product
    OTOH is pricing is too low, demand may exceed supply, and a whole lot of people get piffed off

this is why marketing (contrary to peoples views here marketing cant sell stuff they dont have) offer incentive deals
    things like reduced price over a period, perhaps just in one country
    or perhaps something free comes with the product
    likewise if they have to slow it down, higher prices balance demand

marketing know that with adjusting prices and incentives product moves at different rates
    ideally product moves at a desired rate for a maxim of profit
    just 1000 cameras would need to sell very high
    100,000 cameras are cheaper to manage per item, costs might actually be similar
    but cost to the consumer still need to appear competitive with other cameras in a sphere of the market
    its all about adjusting pricing, output, costs and profit,
    and as they say, ......... its complicated
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarkko View Post
    Interesting that the latest rumours (and just rumours) say that there are both E-6 and E-650 coming. So no E-7 and a cheaper body. I am interested in the E-6, though, as I am sure my daughter - who's still studying - is interested in the E-650. We both need reasonably fast C-AF and hence not keen on mF/T ...
    I'd be very interested in an E-650 to replace my E-520. Even though I "jumped ship" to Canon (60D), I mostly use it for wildlife and do still use my Olympus equipment fairly frequently. So I hope the rumor is correct.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Great line....

Quote Originally Posted by saichiez View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale

The more units they produce, the smaller the cost per unit. In order to produce/sell more units, it needs to be priced reasonably. The E-5's current MSRP of $1700 is completely ridiculous, and what's worse is it doesn't sell much below the MSRP.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R