Thread: Painting by numbers

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Painting by numbers

I shoot in raw and I use LR to develop my pics, I find it's very easy to get into the habit of putting the sliders to the same or very similar values once I decided what I considered to be the optimum values when I first starting using LR.
    I have recently taken to only looking at the sliders to get the mouse over the slider then just looking at the pic I'm processing and moving the mouse up and down till I decide what is best and not caring what the slider value is.
    It's often surprising what I decide is best and the sliders can be way different than if I had just used my pretty much "default" number values.
    It's a hard habit to break, I keep wanting to look and see where the slider is, of course once I've decided what looks best on screen I note the slider values then.
    Anyone else had this?

Paul
    G5, GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25.
    RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: Painting by numbers

I think that a lot of the "perfectionist" tendencies that many photographers (myself included) suffer from are actually a very mild form of OCD. I know that when I first started working with Lightroom, I had a tendency to try to make the sliders end up set at "even steps" in the numbers; things like multiples of 5 or 10, and I also tried to use the same settings on lots of pictures. Of course, I eventually realized that the numbers, themselves, are meaningless, and what mattered was how the final image looked.

Now, like you, I tend to ignore the numbers, and just tweak the sliders until I get the look I want. I may copy settings between photos shot in a series at the same time & place, but I'll usually still find that the optimum black level or some other setting needs to be tweaked a bit from frame to frame, depending on how the light and shadows play on the subject in each.

Cheers!
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Painting by numbers

There are numbers on the sliders?

I just move the sliders to give me what I consider to be the best results. For me, the numbers are just a relative indication, not a firm rule.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog