Thread: You all need to read this - "getting ahead and staying behind" Kirk Tuck

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default You all need to read this - "getting ahead and staying behind" Kirk Tuck

...as the title says, take a few minutes to read what Kirk has to share in one of his blogs, here's the link:
    The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: Staying ahead and getting behind. Why the current gear buying model is bad for individual businesses.

...this makes so much sense to me while at the same time serving as a 'wake up call' to get back to what really matters, getting out and taking pictures, as Godfrey has always been trying to tell us...
    cheers,

Lorne Miller

http://lornemiller.smugmug.com/

4/3rds stuff: E-1 w HLD-2
    35-100 f2, 14-35 f2 SWD, 50-200 SWD
    m4/3rds stuff: OM-D E-M5 x 2, mZD 12-50, mZD 40-150, mZD 14-42

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: You all need to read this - "getting ahead and staying behind" Kirk Tuck

This applies to golf as well: this year's driver is always so much better than last years you just have to buy it, when you would be better served paying for a lesson instead and learn how to use the one you've got.
    But then again there is pride in ownership I suppose.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Re: You all need to read this - "getting ahead and staying behind" Kirk Tuck

The replacing of film with the digital sensor turned the camera into a disposable consumer electronic.
    It use to be all you needed to do was buy the latest film and put it in your old camera body and you had the latest and greatest
    in image quality.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

She makes some good points, and people (myself included) do tend to spend too much time obsessing about the latest and greatest equipment. However, she kind of conveniently ignores the fact that there IS a lot movement in camera technology right now (and for the last 10-15 years), which has changed the way things are done. Yes, you can still get great pictures with a 7 year old 5MP camera, but most folks want a more modern camera, and there are good reasons to want one, IMHO.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

She?
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Chances are that if you can't make great pictures with a 10 MP camera you're not going to do it with a 20+ MP camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

He did get one thing right. In the time I've been reading Kirk's blog, he's gone from Nikon, to Olympus (some m4/3 to carry around), to Canon, and now to Sony (with a new Nex7 to carry around). Plus he's pulled out old Sigma's and Hassleblad cameras and written books on small flashes and LED lighting. If I followed his purchases, I'd have owned 6-10 new cameras in the last three years with 20-30 lenses swapping out. Not to mention thousands in lighting gear/modifiers. I think he keeps Precision Camera afloat by his purchases alone.

I know I've purchased way too much used equipment. But I delay my gratification by buying models from several years ago, eBay bargin hunting, and refurbished/repair items. I still own too much stuff and go through it and declutter occasionally. It's about time to again.

I also added a second small travel around kit consiting of an EPL2, an adapter, some 4/3 kit lenses and a recent used 20mm f1.7. So now I have a heavy bag and a light bag for travel. I've managet to keep my lenses down to 3-4 for each setup. I have too many MF lenses because sometimes you get a couple of off brand lenses with the one you really wanted.

I figure if they do a good enough job on the E7, I can pick one up in a couple of years.
    Brian
    Wife, 2.5 kids, house, a couple of cars, a big screen tv, etc.
    E3, HLD4, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, 35-100, Sigma 30, FL36r
    EPL2, 20 f1.7, 4/3 14-42 & 40-150, OM 28 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 135 f2.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    She?
    Oops! I saw that giant b&w picture of the woman on the page and figured that was the blogger, without noticing the name. He.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hobbyists obsess over gear and buy alot of it. Professionals don't. This is true of most gear hobbies. Talked with a bicycling clothing manufacturer this week. He told me the biggest markets for his products are countries like the US where bicycles are primarily for hobby/recreation, not serious transportation. The worst markets for bicycle accessories are countries where bicycles are used for serious daily transportation. Seems like the same theory applies to camera gear.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne Miller View Post
    ...as the title says, take a few minutes to read what Kirk has to share in one of his blogs, here's the link:
    The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: Staying ahead and getting behind. Why the current gear buying model is bad for individual businesses.

...this makes so much sense to me while at the same time serving as a 'wake up call' to get back to what really matters, getting out and taking pictures, as Godfrey has always been trying to tell us...
    I enjoy reading Kirk's blog a lot.

I've also been enjoying doing photography without the need to make it my business again. My equipment needs have gotten simpler, smaller and tighter. Doesn't stop me from buying equipment ... I enjoy equipment .. but I don't obsess over it much. It is what it is, my job is to learn how to make it do what I want.

I've been shooting almost exclusively with a Leica X2 the past three-four weeks. A delightful camera, small and light, super lens, excellent sensor. Just the one lens, a nice case and neckstrap, an optical viewfinder. I've almost got it learned now. Some of my learning photos ...

This camera makes me happy. The constraint of its simplicity lets my mind free to think and look at subject matter. And it's small enough to always be with me.

Go shooting!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I enjoy Kirk's blogs too, very refreshing. In this case, I guess he's saying that he's changed systems and it didn't make much difference. But, he keeps changing systems...

Body upgrades never got me a lot, except maybe E3 to EM5. Lens additions, though... if made with a purpose in mind, have made a big difference. What with the current low prices for the better ZD lenses, I'm grabbing a few that I've always wanted but never could justify the cost in the past.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22