Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMD what would you like?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default OMD what would you like?

OK, you are sitting across a table from the Olympus engineers and they want to know what additions or changes you would make on the next OMD. Me a draw back is the LCD won't turn completely so I can see it from the front of the camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: OMD what would you like?

Make it a SLR.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

+1 to EB.

And, larger.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

There's much to love about OMD (M5), but there are some things which could've been better:

- EVF sensor should have quicker response
    - AF boxes are bit too big, I'd like to have 1/4th of the current AF box size
    - Direct access to bracketing (although you can set FN button to mymode to circumvent the need for bracketing in most cases)
    - IS in video mode using non-electronic lenses

The biggest complaint is not about the camera, but about the system. There's are no good zoom or tele lenses and Panasonic 12-35mm has a lot of CA and it's not worth it's price tag and it's range is limited (I'd rather carry 2 primes such as 12 and 25mm which cost the same and are better optically, not to mention 1 and 2 stops faster).

Not only that, but the camera is "faux weatherproof", both the sealing on E-M5 is nowhere near as good as on E-X cameras and there's just one native lens which is weather sealed. I find it disappointing that premium Oly lenses such as 12 and 75mm are not weather sealed, especially considering Olympus' E-system dedication with HG and SHG lenses.

Failure to provide lens hoods along with m43 lenses is also a slap to the face of their customers, for such expensive lenses they should at least provide plastic if not "premium" metal hoods.

Hopefully, next OMD camera will fully support 43 lenses and then a lot of m43 lens issues won't matter much because you will be able to use proper lenses
    Cheers,
    Marin

E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 12mm, 45mm, various flashes and misc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    Make it a SLR.
    So an E-7. Can't put a mirror in a mFT camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

First and foremost: fast ZD AF. That solves most of the glass omissions.
    Start at ISO100, even ISO50 if possible.
    EVF: a bit more resolution, a bit larger display, a bit better response.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Should be able to change size of AF points like on my GF1.
    I would like to be able to fire the shutter with my IR remote. It worked on all of my 4/3 cameras.
    WB sensor would be nice like on E-x cameras.
    Apart from those I would not change anything. It is a cracking little camera.
    Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Let's see.

A larger EVF.
    14 bits RAW.
    A better grip - maybe like the GX1?
    Better ergonomics - with a grip, the back dial is awkward to reach
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SteMac View Post
    Should be able to change size of AF points like on my GF1.
    Here is how to do it - Focusing area OM-D E-M5 - Micro Four Thirds User Forum
    Safe Diving

Andy

E3 / Nexus Underwater Housing /50mm/35mm/8mm FE/7-14mm/12-60mm/50-200mm SWD/135-400mm/EX-25/EC-14/EC-20/ FL-50R/2 x Inon Z240's

E-M5, Oly 12-50mm, 14-150mm, 60mm macro, Pany 100-300mm, 14mm, 14-42mm X, PL 25mm, MMF-3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

1/8,000 shutter.
    ISO 100 or even 50.
    1080P EVF
    Popup flash.
    Adjustable sensitivity for the EVF/OVF auto-switching.

Like everybody and their uncle, I'd like hybrid CDAF-PDAF AF.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    The biggest complaint is not about the camera, but about the system. There's are no good zoom or tele lenses and Panasonic 12-35mm has a lot of CA and it's not worth it's price tag and it's range is limited (I'd rather carry 2 primes such as 12 and 25mm which cost the same and are better optically, not to mention 1 and 2 stops faster).
    I have to disagree about the 12-35, it a very good lens, I don't know why you are obsessed about the CA's its not that bad, I have one I love it, have you tried one? I also have the 25mm and that is a great lens but the difference in IQ between it and the 12-35 is marginal, both are excellent. The extra speed of the prime is nice but really only used for very low light or very shallow DOF shots, for most part f2.8 is fine. You have the 14-35 4/3 lens so why do you think the 12-35 is so limited in range? I'd rather have the convenience of the 12-35 than be swapping between primes all the time. There are other very good zooms too, 7-14 and 9-18 are both very good and the anticipated 35-100 is hopefully going to be another excellent lens.

Paul
    G5, GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25.
    RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    There's are no good zoom or tele lenses and Panasonic 12-35mm has a lot of CA and it's not worth it's price tag and it's range is limited (I'd rather carry 2 primes such as 12 and 25mm which cost the same and are better optically, not to mention 1 and 2 stops faster).
    At least going by the slrgear review, the CA seems quite reasonable. (I'm assuming that's with the lateral CA correction as spec'd by the lens firmware, but am not 100% sure.) Whether it's worth the price or is preferable to two faster primes is a personal choice of course.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well I'll take a different approach on this. I like my OMD just fine the way it is with all the great features it has for a m4/3 camera. Anything Olympus adds to the next version would make something great, greater! When I have a need for some of the things suggested here to add to the EM5 I have a dslr, which is what you'd have if all or most of the request in this thread was met....then where's the MICRO 4/3 come in?? Just my two cents worth not meant in the wrong way or wanting to offend any one.
    FLICKR
    Have a great day!
    Lorey

Please ask before editing images. Thank you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Can't argue the point. My "improvements" are divided between possible firmware updates and significant hardware updates that will surely take O-MD to E-5 pricing. Oly is correct in doing this incrementally.

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phinehas View Post
    Well I'll take a different approach on this. I like my OMD just fine the way it is with all the great features it has for a m4/3 camera. Anything Olympus adds to the next version would make something great, greater! When I have a need for some of the things suggested here to add to the EM5 I have a dslr, which is what you'd have if all or most of the request in this thread was met....then where's the MICRO 4/3 come in?? Just my two cents worth not meant in the wrong way or wanting to offend any one.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Yeah I agree with the 100 or 50 ISO. I am sure I don't need to explain why.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

9 frames per second, 7 frame FULL STOP bracketing (or maybe even 2 stop bracketing) with focus locked after first exposure in series.
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I would love a return to multi-spot metering (MSM), at least the old implementation they had on the OM4/T/Ti. That was simply the best practical implementation of a system that facilitated the use of Ansel Adams' Zone System I have ever seen. Except for flash photography, I employed MSM for all of my photography.

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing MSM extended to include pre-flash spot metering, although that would probably appeal more to studio photographers.
    Regards,
    J A P

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Oh and I still miss my NEX 7 just because of the focus peaking. I wonder if it's a patent issue but I would really like that feature.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Read recently (the rumor site?) Panny will add focus peaking to one of its bodies, so we'll see.

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    Oh and I still miss my NEX 7 just because of the focus peaking. I wonder if it's a patent issue but I would really like that feature.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Maybe I shouldn't be replying to this thread as I am more inclined to to E-xx bodies but I think this comment applies to any body with a rear screen whether or not it has an EVF.

The E-30 has a brightness adjustment for the rear screen which has + or - 7 increments of brightness but the increments are so slight as to be almost unnoticeable. I would like really bold adjustments that would suit me when taking either night time shots or skiing shots. I would accept this is very demanding for a display and would accept considerable loss of display quality if I could have really dim and bright screen settings. Can anyone say how good the OM-D rear screen and EVF are in this respect?

Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

E-M5 is significantly better than the E-30, especially the EVF, which boosts dim conditions "better than real" for easier composing and focusing. Side-by-side with the E-5, the E-M5 is easier to use as available light wanes. The gap with the E-30 is even greater. One caveat--the EVF may drop resolution in this "boosted" mode, but I'm not sure about that.

As to the rear display, I find the AMOLED better than the LCD displays. I leave it on auto-boost, so can't comment on how bright it becomes under manual control.

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by mikebbh View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't be replying to this thread as I am more inclined to to E-xx bodies but I think this comment applies to any body with a rear screen whether or not it has an EVF.

The E-30 has a brightness adjustment for the rear screen which has + or - 7 increments of brightness but the increments are so slight as to be almost unnoticeable. I would like really bold adjustments that would suit me when taking either night time shots or skiing shots. I would accept this is very demanding for a display and would accept considerable loss of display quality if I could have really dim and bright screen settings. Can anyone say how good the OM-D rear screen and EVF are in this respect?

Mike

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    OK, you are sitting across a table from the Olympus engineers and they want to know what additions or changes you would make on the next OMD. ...
    - Make the whole camera slightly larger to afford a better grip.
    - Simplify the menu structure.
    - Reduce the number of buttons and knobs, make them a little larger and more positive in action.

In short, I'd prefer a slightly larger, up-market, pro-oriented version, simplified by a small amount for those of us who do not use all the myriad bells and whistles, that is easier to use day in and day out without fatigue. Look to the E-1 as a model of what I'd prefer ... I find I use about 70-80% of what's there in the E-1, the rest is all useful and service specialty shooting needs which I don't need often; it has little to none of the consumer level features that are just conveniences I never bother with.

My Leica M9 and X2 are excellent examples of this: I have used nearly every feature on both of these cameras, there's little I don't need and nothing that I'd never want. I can remember where all of the controls and menu options are without having to hunt for them. My fingers never hit the wrong buttons or fumble on them either. Brilliant ergonomic designs, both of them.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    E-M5 is significantly better than the E-30, especially the EVF, which boosts dim conditions "better than real" for easier composing and focusing.
    Rick
    Many thanks for these comments. I can see the EVF is likely to be very helpful in composing a shot in dark conditions. The problem I want to address is rather different though. I am interested in using various menus in the dark and light scenarios. Typically varying ISO in low light where I do not want my night vision compromised by looking at a bright display or replaying a shot in very bright conditions looking for just the right amount of motion blur in a skiing shot for instance. In both scenarios I would like much more range of brightness in the rear screen.

Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just one suggestion from me, but it applies to ALL Oly cameras and could be a firmware upgrade. Could we have a modern DOF scale please. By that I mean an information option showing the range of distances that will be in sharp focus and the actual distance that the lens is focussed on. It might be necessary to restrict this to manual focus and aperture priority modes.

Roger

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think I follow. The E-M5 back display has fewer brightness steps than the E-30 so there may in practice be less flexibility. There's also a normal/vivid toggle for playback. (The EVF has more steps than the AMOLED screen.) The display itself is far crisper and the colors less muted than the E-30, so requires less illumination to see detail. In short, you're going to have to hold one to see how your eyes respond. I can't find a setting to turn backlighting off entirely, although record view can be zeroed out.

BTW, while the E-M5 lacks a dedicated ISO button the SCP gives two-press access, which I find in practice to be adequate for adjustments on the fly.

cheers,

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebbh View Post
    Many thanks for these comments. I can see the EVF is likely to be very helpful in composing a shot in dark conditions. The problem I want to address is rather different though. I am interested in using various menus in the dark and light scenarios. Typically varying ISO in low light where I do not want my night vision compromised by looking at a bright display or replaying a shot in very bright conditions looking for just the right amount of motion blur in a skiing shot for instance. In both scenarios I would like much more range of brightness in the rear screen.

Mike