Thread: Split Image Focusing Screen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Split Image Focusing Screen

I noticed split-image focusing screens for sale on ebay for <$20.
    Has anyone here tried one of these on their Olympus DSLR?
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Split Image Focusing Screen

I have one in my E1 for several years. Metering is off a little, if the subject is not moving very fast I will manual focus. It is one of the big things I missed from my 35mm days. A lot of times I will put the camera in manual and manual focus. The biggest thing i MISS is the depth of field gauge with f stops made life easier.

Ciao,
    Lou Cioccio
    PS its chinese made

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I got one from jinfinance, about $30.00 a year ago, probably same screen. It helps a lot with legacy glass. I have to drop the exposure down about -.3 to -1 EV, and you will most likely lose the autofocus red led's in the screen, if you are dependant on those. I also added a ME-1 magnifier which helped me some more. Also bought a focus confirm adapter for minolta lens, but I still find myself going to live veiw 7x to get sharp focus with a minolta 1.4. I have thought about getting one of the 2x or 3x flip down magnifiers, but I guess my next step should be to get a seeing-eye dog and let it focus for me. Back to the screen, it was very simple to install, took less than 10 minutes, I can't compare it to KatsEye quality as I have never had the opportunity of using one, it brightened my viewfinder up alot, and it does allow good focus on a minolta 135 2.8 without using LV. As Lou said above, if you subject is moving, you can just about forget trying to manual focus, expecially if the subject is moving at a diagonal toward or away from you. For me, the only time I use those lens are for lowlight conditions. The standard kit lens and AF are much better, except when I want the speed or bokeh the old glass can give or the shots with a 400mm I sometimes do.
    Dave

Kodak Brownie Bullet, and 1 E-450 of the 7 ever sold.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I had one for my E-1 for a while. Others have mentioned the possible metering issues as well as the question of how fast you can MF. A bigger possible issue is that these things usually seem to be adapted from old 35mm screens, which means that the thickness isn't necessarily exactly what the camera might need. The screen that I bought included some very tiny (and fiddly) stick-on shims for possibly adjusting the screen until it matched the thickness required. These turned out to be necessary; it was not a big deal to install them, but it was time-consuming to install the screen, try it to see if the focus was off, remove the screen and add a shim, try again, etc. For cameras that have live-view, I think that's generally a much better option.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I tried an eBay one in my E500 a number of years ago and it went right back to them. Autofocus and metering went right out the window. Last year I upgraded to an E30 and have kept my 500 for my legacy Leica R glass. I'm currently waiting on a Haoda Fu screen ($75, great reviews) Just based off of reviews, I'd say the extra $40 is worth it, but I'll update the thread when I find out.
    David G.
    E30, Lumix LX3, E500, SL2, Spotmatic, IIIa
    Loves squirrels

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    The best was my Leicaflex. It had micro prisms in the center and extra fine micro prisms covered all the rest. Super bright and very easy to focus, even in bad light where split screens tend to go black. Sure wish I had that viewfinder on my E-30!
    Hm.... I wonder if I could modify the screen in my SL2...
    David G.
    Loves squirrels

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I put the Katz-Eye upgraded screen in my E-500 and it has been great. I planned to do the same with my E-30 but it turned out I really didn't need to - - that screen was fine for manual focusing, plus I have the live view.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just idle musing. I would never do something like that.
    David G.
    Loves squirrels

Thanks
    Feedback Score

So, the Haoda purchase did not have a happy ending. I ordered the screen on August 11. I'm not sure if he had website issues or personal issues, but after two weeks of not getting a confirmation o a shipping email, I opened a PayPal dispute. I got a response within 24 hours from Haoda. Based on past reviews, all of them overwhelmingly positive, I opted to proceed. He finally got his house in order and shipped out my screen, which arrived on September 9. However, I own an E500, he mixed up the orders, and I received a screen for an E3xx. And another 4-6 weeks to get a replacement screen. I spent another full week + trying to get a return address from him to no avail. I escalated my PayPal dispute to a claim, and got a reply within 24 hours again, with an address. This was now September 19. I shipped it back to him on the 20, paid the extra $2 for USPS tracking, and saw that he received it on the 25. I gave him another week, still no response. This morning I emailed PayPal again, including both the tracking number and the collected totality of my email correspondences with the guy. We'll see how that goes.

On a side note, I ordered a Katz Eye on the 21, and including the time it takes to make it to order, it arrived today while I was at work and was installed by the time I finished dinner!
    David G.
    Loves squirrels