Thread: Disaster averted, moving to cloud back-ups

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Disaster averted, moving to cloud back-ups

This week I had a near disaster, where my photo workstation went up and I lost my external back-up too. I was ultimately able to recover my entire photo catalog from the E: disk of my dead workstation, but this experience has convinced me that I need to consider a cloud or off-site back-up.

My technology friends recommend Carbonite or CrashPlan+ ...the more tech savvy the person I ask, the more they recommend CrashPlan+. I have read a number of posts here from people using Carbonite, but I could only find 1 or 2 posts about people using CrashPlan. Has anyone used it, done recovery of photo file (including ORF), or have any other information I should consider?

Thanks.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: Disaster averted, moving to cloud back-ups

I use crashplan. It's $12 / month and the amount of storage is truly unlimited. I have over 1TB stored there. If you have a large amount of data, for your initial backup I would recommend sending them a hard drive rather than trying to upload it all. Many ISPs (mine - Commiecast) have a monthly limit of 250MB. It can also take weeks, or even months to get everything uploaded on a typical cable or DSL connection.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Sounds like good advice. I don't use a service but just checked and my "pictures" folder is about 750GB, which would be very cumbersome to push up to the web, much less retrieve.

FWIW I back up to an external drive (duplicate when importing) plus the PC is backed up by a network server. If I were a working pro I'd probably have the server backed up offsite, too.

Good luck,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for the advice. My photo catalog isn't that big... just about 200GB... but I had not considered that there might be an upload limit from my ISP. I have ATT Uverse - - I suppose that I can find that information somewhere in my account information or FAQs?
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score

You may not have a data limit, but most ISP's limit upload bandwidth, so that 250Gb will take several at best days going 24 hours a day. Greg's advice regarding mailing them a hard copy, known as "seeding" a backup, would definitely be worth looking into, if your provider supports it.

There's a software company called Ahsay that makes a really good product, though i'm not sure if the offer their own backup solution or not. Their software encrypts and compresses the data it backs up, and they offer a client for every OS, including Linux!
    David G.
    E30, Lumix LX3, E500, SL2, Spotmatic, IIIa
    Loves squirrels

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    Thanks for the advice. My photo catalog isn't that big... just about 200GB... but I had not considered that there might be an upload limit from my ISP. I have ATT Uverse - - I suppose that I can find that information somewhere in my account information or FAQs?
    I have Comcast, so I don't know what your ISP's policies are, but they should be in the TOS (Terms of Service) and they probably are also discussed in their forums. 200GB might take 3-4 weeks, but that's not that bad really. Once you are current in your backup, you won't even notice the ongoing daily backup.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I use Crashplan, but I haven't signed up for their cloud service. I use it to back up my PC to an external hard drive, a NAS box with RAID, and my wife's PC. Her PC backs up to my external drive and NAS box, as well. I'm seriously considering adding their cloud service, as well, to add an off-site component to my backups.

So far, so good.
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for all the great info. I checked my Uverse TOS and I have a 250GB/month limit, Upload + Download. I also looked into the seeding with a hard disk option, but the actual size of my photo catalog is only 181GB and the bottom size they will do it for is 200GB... so I kicked off the upload last night... projected to take 17.7 days. I'll see how it goes.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

18 days. So at what upload speed? It might take me months with no guarantee that the data wouldn't be corrupted ...
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Those of you referring to ISP data limits, crapcast has lifted the 250GB limit, at least in my area. It's unlimited now, or so they say. Log in again and see if your limit is gone.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    18 days. So at what upload speed? It might take me months with no guarantee that the data wouldn't be corrupted ...
    For the 11 hours it has been running, the average speed is 905 Kbps. And I assume that is a simple average... transmitted accumulated file size / time. And since I work from home, and I am connected 100% of the time for work, I'm sure that throughput is a function of other usage too...
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Check the limitations on the back end....

Most often overlooked (possibly important) aspect of backup systems...

1) test restores to test the integrity of the system. I often ask new clients on backup systems they are currently using if they have ever done test restores to test the integrity.... Usually laziness rules.. and the response is "Do Whut????)

2) Most of the "Cloud" (suspicious of anything that implies heavenly) systems, I have read about. Some have such onerous download limits... daily or hourly, that getting your data in an emerging crisis can take days, or weeks.

Carbonite is reputed by many to be one of the "best"... how they know, I don't know. I've read some real horror stories. If you want real peace of mind about archiving in the cloud... don't research and don't read reviews. If you want a system that works as good as you would like, go to your favorite... Yahoo or Google and search the name of your candidate and the word issues or problem

Or just go on the search engines and search (name of candidate) and the word (sucks).

As in Carbonite sucks.

Last don't switch from what you have been doing... redundify immensely. Keep doing what you do now for fast local access to your date, and use the "Cloud" as a backup to the backup.

You know the rule... there are only two types of people when it comes to backup... Those who have lost data and those who are going to!

PS... I wasn't pulling your leg about Carbonite (or whoever) Sucks.

At least three system.. two local and one remote, no matter who you use. And lastly, to reiterate the most common problem... how long to get your data back???

One last crack at the internet... Paid or Not, remember everybody on the internet is anonymous.... Nobody on the internet is responsible for anything, particularly if it belongs to you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    For the 11 hours it has been running, the average speed is 905 Kbps....
    I'm lucky to get 3-400kbps. which is why I never considered cloud storage. ...
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

There always seems to be this weird paranoia about the "cloud". It may or may not be for you, but there really isn't anything nebulous or all that new about it. The name is unfortunate, but at the end of the day it is a real data center(s) in a real physical location using real best practices for security and redundancy. The only thing "new" about the cloud is that almost all of us now have the ability to transfer large amounts of data over the internet at high speeds. You should check reviews and make sure you'll get the service you need and do some background checking on the company to see how long they've been around, how many locations they have, what their privacy policies and terms of service are. Speed is an issue, especially for uploads. If you're using the cloud for a secondary backup, and your main storage and your on-site backup have both died, chances are you have bigger problems than getting all of your images right now. If you had a job you were working on and need to finish it, it should be there for you. If you need all your images, you can contact the cloud company and ask them to ship you a drive with all your data next day. Here's a nice comparison of all the cloud storage plans: Comparison of online backup services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia