Thread: Held an EM-5 for the first time today!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Held an EM-5 for the first time today!

I saw one in person for the first time today! I live and work in Yosemite National park and see a bajillion tourists with a million different cameras every day, but today a customer at my place of work had a silver EM-5! At first I wasn't sure if it was an OMD or an older OM film camera, but I got supper excited as soon as I saw it, and even more so when I was sure what it was. So far while checking them out online I've been more inclined towards the black version, but I found my self really liking the silver one in person. The guy let me hold it and snap a few pics. It was much smaller than I expected, but it a good way. I don't have large hands for a male and my fingers are fairly slender, so it still felt nice in my hands. I've read complaints about the "play" and "fn1" buttons being a bit hard to reach and use, and I can now see how that could be true. However I don't think it would be TOO much of an issue for me personally. I do agree that it might be a good idea to swap the positioning of the two buttons though. It really would make an awesome travel or backpacking camera. The size and retro styling made it feel like a toy, and I was giddy holding the thing. But it was solid. I was impressed by the build quality and design. The electronic view finder was a little disappointing though. As soon as I put it up to my eye it was obvious that I was looking at a screen. I REALLY like the extra features that an evf provides, like being able to see how setting adjustments will change your exposure, live, right there in the view finder before you take your picture, or crop focusing, or easier composition in dim lighting. But it needs a resolution boost, a faster refresh rate, and WAY shorter lag time between putting your face to the camera and the view finder turning on. The delay was probably only about a half second, but that would be more than enough to drive me nuts, coming from an optical viewfinder where everything is instantaneous. If Olympus shortened the delay quite a bit, maybe increased the evf's auto on/off sensor a little, and then left the rear screen on for a short period while the evf's sensor confirms that whatever triggered it is actually going to stay in place (your face coming closer to use the evf as opposed to your finger using the touchscreen) to compensate for accidentally triggering the evf, it would be fantastic. Overall the evf wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as I was hoping or expecting. I think I got my hopes up. lol I would really like an EM-5 for its performance and small size, but the evf, unfortunately leaves me wanting more. I'm VERY exited to see what Olympus has to offer in their pro OMD. If it gets an upgrade to the evf, and I can scrounge enough coins out of my piggybank, I'm sold! Not that I'd complain about any other upgrades they'd like to make.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Held an EM-5 for the first time today!

A: Congratulations on the best workplace view anybody can hope for.
    B: Nice to hear the feedback on the camera. It is a solid little guy and set up for one's preferences does a great job most of the time, which brings up...
    C. Don't assume the EVF was set up properly. There are several options that might deal with your issues, including faster refresh rate.

FWIW I was in northern Yosemite in August on a seven-day backpack, with the E-M5 and three lenses. It's basically the backpacking camera I'd always wanted, even if I didn't know it. I could never dream of hauling an slr that far, for that long.

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDayne View Post
    I saw one in person for the first time today! I live and work in Yosemite National park and see a bajillion tourists with a million different cameras every day, but today a customer at my place of work had a silver EM-5! At first I wasn't sure if it was an OMD or an older OM film camera, but I got supper excited as soon as I saw it, and even more so when I was sure what it was. So far while checking them out online I've been more inclined towards the black version, but I found my self really liking the silver one in person. The guy let me hold it and snap a few pics. It was much smaller than I expected, but it a good way. I don't have large hands for a male and my fingers are fairly slender, so it still felt nice in my hands. I've read complaints about the "play" and "fn1" buttons being a bit hard to reach and use, and I can now see how that could be true. However I don't think it would be TOO much of an issue for me personally. I do agree that it might be a good idea to swap the positioning of the two buttons though. It really would make an awesome travel or backpacking camera. The size and retro styling made it feel like a toy, and I was giddy holding the thing. But it was solid. I was impressed by the build quality and design. The electronic view finder was a little disappointing though. As soon as I put it up to my eye it was obvious that I was looking at a screen. I REALLY like the extra features that an evf provides, like being able to see how setting adjustments will change your exposure, live, right there in the view finder before you take your picture, or crop focusing, or easier composition in dim lighting. But it needs a resolution boost, a faster refresh rate, and WAY shorter lag time between putting your face to the camera and the view finder turning on. The delay was probably only about a half second, but that would be more than enough to drive me nuts, coming from an optical viewfinder where everything is instantaneous. If Olympus shortened the delay quite a bit, maybe increased the evf's auto on/off sensor a little, and then left the rear screen on for a short period while the evf's sensor confirms that whatever triggered it is actually going to stay in place (your face coming closer to use the evf as opposed to your finger using the touchscreen) to compensate for accidentally triggering the evf, it would be fantastic. Overall the evf wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as I was hoping or expecting. I think I got my hopes up. lol I would really like an EM-5 for its performance and small size, but the evf, unfortunately leaves me wanting more. I'm VERY exited to see what Olympus has to offer in their pro OMD. If it gets an upgrade to the evf, and I can scrounge enough coins out of my piggybank, I'm sold! Not that I'd complain about any other upgrades they'd like to make.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    C. Don't assume the EVF was set up properly. There are several options that might deal with your issues, including faster refresh rate.
    Good to know! I'd love to spend more than 90 seconds with one and see what it can really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    FWIW I was in northern Yosemite in August on a seven-day backpack, with the E-M5 and three lenses. It's basically the backpacking camera I'd always wanted, even if I didn't know it. I could never dream of hauling an slr that far, for that long.
    Nice! Where were you in the park, and which lenses did you take? I did a three day trip through Koip pass in July with my E-3, 14-54, 50-200 (incase we ran into bears or bighorn sheep. We did not ), and an FL-36r. Needless to say, I am envious of your lighter gear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7010890-web-XL.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	43980

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Starting at Highway 108, we went up the W. Walker River to Upper Piute meadow, then a clockwise loop around Tower Peak, including Mary and Tilden Lakes, then hooking up with the PCT, back north and out again via the W. Walker. Rained about half the time but we were decently prepared, so it was okay. Weatherproof camera and lens are truly nice when you can't be bothered with babying your gear.

Lenses carried were the 12-50, 40-150 and 20/1.7. 12-50 stayed on the camera on the go and I used the others in camp. Three batteries lasted the week with no rationing (I really didn't know before the trip whether they'd be enough).

I'm ready to go back!

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Sounds like a good trip! It's too bad it rained on you so much, but at least you had gear that could handle it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I go to Yosemite once or twice a year, but I'm limited to driving. Besides, I use 3 Olympus DSLRs and several lenses as well as a tripod.
    Here are a couple I shot a few months ago (warning: HDR + faux-color infrared!):
    http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...alleyCalif.jpg
    http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...sminusY-25.jpg
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well that's a spectrum I'm not used to seeing the park in. haha The falls dried up pretty early this year. You were lucky to see them if you were here in the summer.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

You've described about half of my issues with EVFs. In addition, they don't accurately display lighting conditions, and you can't really evaluate the overall tonality of a scene through an EVF. Try shooting a heavily backlit subject with an EVF... even using a spot metering setup, likely your subject will be a silhouette in the viewfinder. I still prefer an optical viewfinder. I have wandered into the Fuji X-Pro1 camp with a hybrid bright-line/EVF finder. It's got its eccentricities as well, and the EVF is useful under some circumstances, but I'm not stuck with an EVF 100% of the time. As a matter of fact, I use it about 5% of the time, and the OVF or the live-view the remainder.

Mmm... Yosemite. You're a lucky guy! Has the Foresta campground been re-built? Forty of us on motorcycles from San Diego used to meet about sixty guys from Oakland there and have a four-day party/get together. The USFS let us reserve the Foresta campground for the occasion. It was an annual pilgrimage for us for almost ten years back in the early to late-'80s. I had heard that Foresta had burned in the big fires a few years ago tho.
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket

Thanks
    Feedback Score

How do the hybrid viewfinders work?

Wow it's been a while since you were last in the park huh? Foresta burned down around 91. They haven't rebuilt the campsite but there are cabins up there (mostly privately owned) that can be rented. Are you sure you used to reserve the campground thorough the USFS? They oversee all the National Forests, including a lot of land around the park, but the National Park Service oversees Yosemite and all the other... well, National Parks. lol

I have a 1977 cb-550 back east. I would LOVE to get it out here and enjoy these incredible mountain roads.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've seen three now! A black one on friday and another silver one yesterday. I'm really glad people are finally getting their shipments.