Thread: Refurbished lenses:

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Refurbished lenses:

Lately, I've been looking into upgrading my system (i.e. pulling the trigger on an SHG 150mm/f2 lens). Of course, the MSRP of a new SHG 150mm/f2 is cause for extreme gastric distress, so, I've been considering a refurbished lens rather than NIB.

Olympus lists refurbished SHG 150/f2 lenses for ~$1800, and over at Cameta they currently have an SHG 150/f2 selling for ~$1500. I'd like to know what experiences fellow forum members have had with refurbished optics -the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks All -
    -leon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RE: My Posted Photos: C&C = welcome
    E-1 & E-3 // 14-54mm & 50-200mm SWD

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Refurbished lenses:

Have bought just one refurb from Oly America, and it works and looks as new. The shorter warranty and non-OEM box were my only "penalties."

Considering lens defects or damage would be immidiately apparent, I don't know of a reason to avoid a refurb, especially considering the savings. I'm surprised refurb 150s go for what I paid new, but I guess that means it's a good investment to boot.

I'd get it.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have purchases several refurbished Olympus lenses (and a teleconverter) and have had no problems. From what I understand, Cameta is a big dealer in Olympus refurbished gear and they get high marks from buyers. I am not 100% sure but I think it may be possible to buy an extended warranty on a refurbished lens.
    EM-1, E-5, E-500, E-P1, E-620, XZ-1, C-4040, OM-2n, HDL-6, Lytro, 35-100mm, 50-200mm SWD, 14-54mm Mk1 X 2, 50mm macro, 40-150mm, 14-45mm, EC-20, MMF-1, MMF-2, MMF-3, 12-50mm m4/3, 14-42 m4/3, 75-300mm Mk II m4/3, Pany 45-200mm m4/3, Pany 20mm m 4/3, OM 50mm 1.8, Om 28mm 2.8, OM 50mm 3.5 macro, MF-1, , FL-50R, FL-36, FL-40, FL-14, FL-300R, VF 2

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've never had anything but positive experiences with Cameta and wouldn't have any pause in trading with them again Leon. In thinking about it, I don't recall ever hearing of a single duff 150 f/2 new or used. It sure would be a fine accessory for your new kayak.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real Name
    Martin Muehlemann

I got a few lenses from Cameta. No issue recommending them.
    Sony A7S | A7 II | FE 16-35Z OSS | FE 24-70Z OSS | FE 70-200G OSS | Sony 70-400G2 SSM | Minolta AF 24/2.8 RS | EF 100L IS Macro | Metabones Mark IV | LA-EA4 | Metz 52 AF-1

Olympus E-M1 | mZuiko 12-40 f/2.8 | mZuiko 40-150 f/2.8 | HLD-7

My pictures at FC

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

If warranty is an issue, just buy and activate the Olympus 4 year lens warranty ($60 at Adorama) within the 90 day warranty period. This assumes the lens was refurbished by Olympus.

Now, while the optics of the 150mm are great, it is not the worlds fastest focusing lens, even on an E-5. My saleswoman who bought a 150mm, has complained about missing shots due to the speed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    ...Now, while the optics of the 150mm are great, it is not the worlds fastest focusing lens, even on an E-5. My saleswoman who bought a 150mm, has complained about missing shots due to the speed.
    I agree it isn't the fastest focusing lens in the lineup, but the focus limiter switch makes it quite speedy. I complain about missing shots due to my speed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I'm with all else on this, I bought mine from Cameta and then purchased the extended warranty from B & H for $59 -you just have to buy it during the first 90 days on refurbished products. I believe Cameta also throws in a 1 year warranty of their own! And as Fred says, with limiter on it focuses quite readily if the operator pays attention!! LOL
    Best Regards, Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score

With a new lens costing $2500 and a refurbished one costing $1600, and therefore a used one even less, you'd have to be pretty insane to buy brand new, you'd lose over $1000 value the moment you open the box.

I've bought a bunch of refurbished things, from laptops to lenses to flashes to my E-620. All work like they are brand new. To me, refurbished now means "new, but cheaper with a shorter warranty". For most electronic equipment, you have to weigh out the pros and cons (what do you do if a refurb TV goes out after 6 months?), but for lenses I would never buy a new product if a refurbished one is available. If a lens works the first 90 days the chances of it stopping working in the next 270 are extremely slim, except for situation not covered under warranty.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks, everyone!

And just so you know, I phoned Cameta Monday afternoon and pulled the trigger for an SHG 150mm/f2 (EFL: 300mm/f2) - and and EC-20 for maximum reach (EFL: 600mm/f4). Delivery is free, but takes 7-10 days via Fedex ground delivery (fully insured).

I already have a worthy (Manfrotto) monopod so as soon as the new lens and TC arrive I'll be heading out to LaChua Trail on the northern rim of Paynes Prairie for a test drive. Stay tuned; don't touch that dial -

I'll be back.
    -leon

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Refurbished lenses:

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
    Stay tuned; don't touch that dial -
    Unless it is the focus limiter dial.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
    I'll be back.
    I dunno, the 150mm would seem too wimpy for Arnie, I would see him more as the 300mm or 90-250mm type. Maybe the Sigma 300-800mm. Hand held no doubt.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

G'Day Michael -

Yeah - you're right; I reckon das Terminator wouldn't git cought dead w/ just a teeny wimpy 150/f2, but, hey, I'll be proud as punch once I git mine in my hot little hands!!!

Of course, the downside of owning any SHG lenses is that now there are no excuses if/when I miss gittin' the perfect shot. It sure won't be the glass's fault; the fault will be all mine (dag-nabbit!).
    -leon

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Not true. New excuse: DOF too shallow!

You'll love it, I'm pretty sure.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

For those of us on this side of the pond Limal GmbH trading in Germany as olympusmarket on ebay Digitalkamera-Zubehör, Digital-Kameras items in OlympusMarket store on eBay! seem to be selling some refurbished Olympus Europe stuff. No big lenses but E5s and E30s more or less daily at present amongst lots of compacts.

Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

is there any information, where can i get 50-200 MK I, nice build refurb will be nice (int'l shipping)? thanks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, my 'new to me' SHG 150mm/f2 and EC-20 arrived at my office via FedEx yesterday afternoon (from Cameta Camera). Everything was boxed and wrapped in a massive amount of plastic bubble wrap - no issues. This is one hefty lens!

While I didn't have a chance to do any evaluative shooting yesterday I must say that everything looks to be in good condition, albeit not "brand new". If time permits I'll mount the EC-20 along w/ the 'Baby Tuna' on my E-3 and see what happens later today.
    -leon

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Declan79 View Post
    is there any information, where can i get 50-200 MK I, nice build refurb will be nice (int'l shipping)? thanks
    The Mk I is old enough that I think it would be hard to find refurbs. I would check KEH.com, and Ex+ lens from them will be in just about as new condtion, their grading is very conservative. Don't know if they will ship internationally, though.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I recently purchased a 35Macro refurb from Cameta. It did not focus at any distance greater than 3 inches. Cameta replaced it within three days and paid the return postage also. No problem with the replacement.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

Quote Originally Posted by olddigiman View Post
    The Mk I is old enough that I think it would be hard to find refurbs. I would check KEH.com, and Ex+ lens from them will be in just about as new condtion, their grading is very conservative. Don't know if they will ship internationally, though.
    I did seen keh several days ago, and they dodon't have it. I I'm agree with you regarding how hard to find this mk1.thanks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling