Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E7 - New, Bigger Sensor Size?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default E7 - New, Bigger Sensor Size?

Just sayin', but at least it sounds promising:

(FT2) More about the E-5 successor. With new sensor size? | 43 Rumors

Well, take it for what the source is worth.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: E7 - New, Bigger Sensor Size?

It might be a multi-aspect sensor design like Panasonic GH1 and GH2.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Would be a welcome addition. I use the feature obsessively on my LXs. My only question is whether 4/3 lens image circles are big enough to accommodate a sensor wider than 17.3 mm?

Cheers,

Rick
    Last edited by Rick_D; 10-20-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    It might be a multi-aspect sensor design like Panasonic GH1 and GH2.
    4/3 or u4/3 cameras that offer multi-aspect are still limited to a 22.5mm diagonal across the frame. The diagonal has to fit within the image circle. So the sensor could be larger to offer more aspect ratios but the image size will still be the same for the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Actually, many 4/3 lenses can handle far more than a 22mm diagonal and maintain telecentricity. The maximum diagonal varies with the lens. Some lenses, like the 50macro and the f/2 zooms apparently can handle up to a 40mm diagonal! That's more enough to bridge a sensor close to APS-C size.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Actually I stated the wrong number. The diagonal of the imaging area as defined by the Four Thirds and micro Four Thirds standards is 21.63mm. I doubt very much that Olympus will create a camera that doesn't match that standard. By definition a camera with an imaging area that has a diagonal not equal to 21.63mm is not a Four Thirds camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The 4/3 aspect ratio would still be limited by the image circle (for those lenses where it is "tight") but a larger sensor would allow for a wider one but one less tall than the 4/3 norm. So the diagonal constraint changes depending on the location and shape of the image rectangle in the circle. I believe this is what Panasonic does.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

All other camera companies support more than one sensor size what makes Olympus different? Now that Sony is supplying sensors Olympus can build a camera around anything they want to.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Anybody know the GH2 sensor size and crop dimensions? By now I'm certain all the 4/3 lenses have been used on the camera and any problems would have presented themselves.

Cheers,

Rick

Okay, I guess this helps settle the overall question re. 4/3 image circle.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/201210...-coverage.html

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    All other camera companies support more than one sensor size what makes Olympus different? Now that Sony is supplying sensors Olympus can build a camera around anything they want to.
    The difference is that the other companies introduced cameras with a smaller sensor than their older models (going from film to digital). This enabled the new models to use existing lenses. Now, Olympus is not in that position - all currently made Olympus lenses are either for 4/3 or -4/3 cameras. It will be to expensive for Olympus to introduce a larger sensor and release lenses for it.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    Anybody know the GH2 sensor size and crop dimensions? By now I'm certain all the 4/3 lenses have been used on the camera and any problems would have presented themselves.

Cheers,

Rick

diglloyd.com blog - Olympus SHG Four Thirds Lenses €” Do They €œCover€ more than a Four Thirds/MFT Sensor?
    From dpreview:
    In the years since Olympus and Panasonic jointly announced the Micro Four Thirds standard there have been eight models launched to date, seven of which share the same 12MP sensor. The only exception was the GH1 which, despite its 12MP output actually featured a 14MP sensor. The sensor was slightly larger than the format's imaging circle, which allowed it to deliver images in different aspect ratios while retaining the same image diagonal. And now the GH2 follows the same pattern, shooting 16MP images using its brand-new, similarly over-sized 18MP sensor.

The Four Thirds standard only sets the image diagonal not the aspect ratio. In other words the image can be taller and narrower, or wider and not as tall and still meet the standard as long as the diagonal is 21.63mm.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Cheers,

Rick
    I think it is 19mm x 13mm (same height as a regular 4/3 sensor, but wider to accommodate 16:9 and 3:2 modes)

diglloyd.com blog - Olympus SHG Four Thirds Lenses — Do They “Cover” more than a Four Thirds/MFT Sensor?
    I am not surprised.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

If I could vote for an alternative aspect ratio it would be 1.414:1 ie matching A4,A5,B4 paper shape as this is what I nearly always print to.

Rumour that started this thread is only rated at 20-40% so not hugely meaningful.

Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

All they would have to do is throw in one of Sony's APS-c sensors and use the existing 4/3 image circle of 21.63mm. Then you could get 1x1, 2x3, 4x3, and 16x9 by choosing the frames you want within that circle. Making the frame less tall allows you to make it wider with the same diagonal to get to 16x9. Make it taller and narrower and you could get 1x1 (square) if the programming allows.

I did a quick graphic, helped me envision the mechanics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagecircle1.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	756.7 KB 
ID:	44360Click for larger image
    Last edited by jnicklin; 10-20-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Changed graphic for clarity
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

the original patent gave a range for the sensor diagonal, out to 25mm
    that would be 20 x 15mm for 300 sq mm
    and in any event, an image circle isnt as well defined as all that, its not like IQ falls off a cliff so there is some tolerance

This could be BS of course, most likely is
    but there have been corroborating things in the past,
    not the least of which was from Thom Hogan who described something called Super Four Thirds

If you wanted to go to a bigger sensor there are 2 places to be
    FF or Super43 to utilise all the 43 lenses

The movement in technology is such that
    If four thirds cant differentiate itself from micro
    there isnt a reason for it to exist
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Why not produce the "super four thirds" with one lens (50mm f1.8) and have an adapter to take existing four third lenses and the software to only turn on the appropriate pixels for the 4/3 aspect and size. Then gradually build the lenses up.
    McGoo Photography
    E5 | E620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 35-100 | Zuiko 70-300 | FL-50R x2 |

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    Why not produce the "super four thirds" with one lens (50mm f1.8) and have an adapter to take existing four third lenses and the software to only turn on the appropriate pixels for the 4/3 aspect and size. Then gradually build the lenses up.
    In an ideal world, that would make sense, at least to those of us who are looking for a true DSLR or something close to it. From what I see, Olympus is moving in the other direction, smaller and smaller cameras with electronic view finders.

That said, if Olympus decided to go with a super 4/3 sensor camera that allowed the current 4/3 lenses to be used in strict 4/3 mode and then produced additional larger circle lenses as you envision, I'd be interested. Especially if I could get twice the pixels and way less noise at higher ISO settings.

Maybe its time for another company to form to take the 4/3 and super 4/3 concepts to new heights. I'm not sure there would be enough business to support it though.
    ​John Nicklin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by davidh202 View Post
    We are almost there...
    it's going to be called Olyony or Sonypus
    Olyony, I could get used to that.
    ​John Nicklin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jnicklin View Post
    In an ideal world, that would make sense, at least to those of us who are looking for a true DSLR or something close to it. From what I see, Olympus is moving in the other direction, smaller and smaller cameras with electronic view finders.

That said, if Olympus decided to go with a super 4/3 sensor camera that allowed the current 4/3 lenses to be used in strict 4/3 mode and then produced additional larger circle lenses as you envision, I'd be interested. Especially if I could get twice the pixels and way less noise at higher ISO settings.

Maybe its time for another company to form to take the 4/3 and super 4/3 concepts to new heights. I'm not sure there would be enough business to support it though.
    I can see the sense in what Olympuse620 says
    you wouldn't make a giant mirrorless anymore than you would expect to produce tiny SLRs smaller than micro, there's no point trying.
    so there's an entire lens range sitting there and what to do with it? I guess stuff like this just doesn't happen every day

I guess the business is forming up on these two strategies
    (i) that of capability where size doesn't matter
    (ii) and that of micro, where size is the selling point

Logically a re-entry vehicle for 43rds lenses pays more heed to the former
    some of the more salient points much in flux like what happens when we get there,
    b/se (i) is invariably better matched to the professional fields,
    it has a healthy number of sealed lenses,
    it will recognise professional application of video

given the latter, and where ultra wide formats have been made popular, do older film formats have a shake in this?
    is the answer to sensor size something like as much height as 43 can handle, but limited to 4x3 frame, and Super35 format for video?

Just by way of experiment, I stacked my 7-14/4 on top of my 5D mount and this is what I saw at 14mm
    Im not trying to con anyone, truly this is the best I saw from a number of lenses

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43lenses7-14_internet_zpse327a7fb.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	44388
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    Olympus cannot make money from existing four thirds lenses, and developing a new system without such constraints will get better results and sell more lenses.

Cameras are moving into larger sensor territory, undoubtedly. Remember that the consumer DSLR market was mostly driven by people who wanted better image quality than a P&S, not a DSLR, and while there always will be a market for DSLRs it will be shrinking and dominated by Canikon, Olympus really has to look elsewhere for a profit margin. Small P&S are replaced by mobile phones, crop DSLRs are replaced by mirrorless and large sensor P&S like RX-100, and full frame is more accessible than ever. And now we have the RX-1, if that goes well in 5 years time we'll probably see a full frame mirrorless system developed by Sony/Olympus and P&S will use 1" to 4/3" sensors.

In 20 years time we'll show our DSLR to our kids/grandkids and say "And then you looked through here, and you couldn't even see the picture you were taking, you just saw what's outside" and they'll go "wow, that is so cool". Kind of like vinyl is today.

I, for one, think its an exciting future. Unfortunately, I don't think 4/3 lenses are in it as anything other than legacy glass. I will buy into m4/3 by the time next year's hiking season comes around, but I would not bet anything on the longevity of that system being any longer than 4/3.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'd be all for a super35 or APS-C sensor in a FT or mFT mount camera, even if 90% of the time you can't use the extra sensor space. Simply auto-crop the raw files when a smaller lens diamter is attached. The larger sensor would allow us to get 1:1 images and various cinema scope aspect ratio video to the edge of the image circle. Adapted lenses could use the whole sensor.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    and in any event, an image circle isn't as well defined as all that, its not like IQ falls off a cliff so there is some tolerance
    Yes. Thank you. Traditionally the circle of coverage of a lens has been an opinion by the manufacturer, stating the diameter beyond which the image quality has degraded to an unacceptable (as defined in their minds) level. (About as exact as the ISO values stated by a manufacturer.) I'd be very surprised if the SHG lenses aren't able to adequately cover a larger circle than the SG lenses.

Ted

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looking at Photokina this year, there was only one new APS DSLR from Pentax, and even they say that their next one will be FF. Otherwise, it was three new M43 bodies, one new Pentax Q, one new NEX, three new FF bodies, or four if you count the pricey Sony RX1. Canon brought out a new hybrid APS DSLR last summer. Does anyone remember that one? Apparently, no one remembered to buy it, either.

The handwriting looks pretty clear on that wall... the APS DSLR is on its way out, a victim of amateur grade mirrorless (EM5, NEX7 if it ever gets any good glass), and lower cost FF bodies.

Olympus currently makes the hottest selling mirrorless body, the EM5. Amateurs and even pros are lining up to get one as their 'small solution'. C/N have only halfhearted efforts in mirrorless, right now they're just not a factor. Mirrorless is fast rising in sales, has already passed dslr sales in Japan. And Oly is a major player there, while C/N are years behind.

So why would Olympus divert what few resources it has away from a market where it's a leader and has no serious competition from the big two, to go make a new larger sensor body and a bunch of larger sensor lenses, to compete in a market dominated by C/N, one that Sony blew a ton of money on and failed to make a significant penetration?

This does not make business sense. What does make sense is for Oly to capitalize on all those amateurs and pros who are buying EM5's, by coming up with an OMD-Pro that can AF the HG and SHG ZD glass fast. Those new owners, most of whom love the EM5, are using it as their 'small solution'. With fast zooms, and they don't get any better than HG/SHG, it could become their primary solution.

That's what I'm betting the next gen Oly camera will be: not a larger sensor E5, but an OMD-Pro with a slightly larger body and grip, plus PDAF on sensor for fast ZD autofocus.

If anyone feels that HG or SHG is a dead end, and wants to sell their ZD's at a desperation price, just let me know. I'm looking for a 150F2, maybe an 11-22... if the price is right.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
    Looking at Photokina this year, there was only one new APS DSLR from Pentax, and even they say that their next one will be FF. Otherwise, it was three new M43 bodies, one new Pentax Q, one new NEX, three new FF bodies, or four if you count the pricey Sony RX1. Canon brought out a new hybrid APS DSLR last summer. Does anyone remember that one? Apparently, no one remembered to buy it, either.

The handwriting looks pretty clear on that wall... the APS DSLR is on its way out, a victim of amateur grade mirrorless (EM5, NEX7 if it ever gets any good glass), and lower cost FF bodies.

Olympus currently makes the hottest selling mirrorless body, the EM5. Amateurs and even pros are lining up to get one as their 'small solution'. C/N have only halfhearted efforts in mirrorless, right now they're just not a factor. Mirrorless is fast rising in sales, has already passed dslr sales in Japan. And Oly is a major player there, while C/N are years behind.

So why would Olympus divert what few resources it has away from a market where it's a leader and has no serious competition from the big two, to go make a new larger sensor body and a bunch of larger sensor lenses, to compete in a market dominated by C/N, one that Sony blew a ton of money on and failed to make a significant penetration?

This does not make business sense. What does make sense is for Oly to capitalize on all those amateurs and pros who are buying EM5's, by coming up with an OMD-Pro that can AF the HG and SHG ZD glass fast. Those new owners, most of whom love the EM5, are using it as their 'small solution'. With fast zooms, and they don't get any better than HG/SHG, it could become their primary solution.

That's what I'm betting the next gen Oly camera will be: not a larger sensor E5, but an OMD-Pro with a slightly larger body and grip, plus PDAF on sensor for fast ZD autofocus.

If anyone feels that HG or SHG is a dead end, and wants to sell their ZD's at a desperation price, just let me know. I'm looking for a 150F2, maybe an 11-22... if the price is right.
    Well said. I agree.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post

ditto
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"