Thread: Night Portraits with night sky - Help please

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Night Portraits with night sky - Help please

Hello all!
    I may be going camping in Joshua Tree this weekend with some good friends and have the potential for some awesome pictures. I have the E510 with kit lense, 40-150 older lens, and a 70-300.

I am really interested in taking some cool portraits of the group, I have seen cool pictures that have flash in the foreground to capture faces and long exposure in the background to capture all the beautiful stars. I am very rusty on photography, life has taken over. But I am trying to back into it! What Kind of settings should I use for a photo like that?

Also would love to just take some beautiful pics of the stars, any tips??

Thanks!
    -Josh
    Last edited by jMedia; 10-31-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    E510, 14-42mm, Old 40-150 mm , 70-300 mm and counting

Minolta X-700, 50mm, Samyang 75-300mm
    Olympus OM-1

www.surfphotosd.com

I wanna take the preconceived out from underneath your feet we could shake it off and instead we'll plant some seeds

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Night Portraits with night sky - Help please

I was going to suggest to have the flash in manual power mode (the onboard flash) since you do not have flash listed. I would also set it at 2nd flash but I do not think you can do it that with the onboard flash. So you might have to be in manual mode for the ambient and just enough power to do the subject.
    An external flash plus a flash meter that can read ambient plus 30% flash may work. I know when I do outside under the shade I use my light flash meter and shoot with 30% flash.

Lou Cioccio

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

if you take more than a 30 second exposure, depending on direction(north direction they don't move as fast it seems) you will have star trails, so if you don't want them take 30 sec or shorter exposures, I suppose for the effect you want you could stack two photos, one with flash and another long exposure?
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Set your camera flash for "slow synch" This is hybrid metering mode that opens the shutter for a longer period to get a bit of ambient light into the background, but will flash the subjects up close. There are two slow synch modes. One fires the flash at the beginning of the exposure and the other (2nd curtain synch) fires the flash at the end of the exposure. This creates a different motion blur effect if the subjects are moving

Leigh
    zippski