Thread: Camera body opinions from the group?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Camera body opinions from the group?

I now have a nice collection of micro four thirds lens, and the E-M5 which I am very happy with. Just sold my E-P3 to a friend and have a 25mm pancake and my old E-P1 listed on EBay. So, yeah, money is burning a hole in my pocket. I found a nice deal on a body-only, new in box E-Pm1, Olympus' littlest PEN. $229. What do you all think of this as a nice party camera, and for random city scapes, using the Panasonic 20mm? Seems like it would work well, and with the 20mm, fits in a coat pocket. In addition, I like to snorkel for fish, and can get a cool underwater case for it! As a small travel camera and for just daily shot it seems popular still. Comes in brown, and looks very nice. Thoughts? I think I can make a great companion to the E-M5 and of course uses all the lens and accessories I already have.

Olympus OMD EM5 | M.Zuiko 12mm F2.0 | M.Zuiko 14-42mm II R | Panasonic 20mm F1.7 | Leica 45mm F2.8 | Panasonic 8mm Fisheye F3.5 | M.Zuiko 14-150mm F4-5.6 | Leica 25mm F1.4

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Camera body opinions from the group?

The Mini will make a fabulous companion to your E-M5 and you will greatly enjoy its extreme packing size without losing in performance. It takes great images, has great AWB, and allows so much more room for lenses and other things. It could use another button or two. The E-PM2 rectified that a bit (and also added the E-M5 sensor and 3-axis IS), but for first generation Mini users it's not that big a deal considering the cost and how well the camera does perform. It may lose out to your OM-D slightly in performance, but is a way, way better camera in almost every way than your E-P1 was except perhaps for aesthetics. As a compact companion to the E-M5 it's perfect. I have a few Minis and nothing can replace them in my kit, not even an OM-D, except for another or a newer Mini or Lite. They just fill a certain spot that no other camera can do so well.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Personally, I would go for true pocketability and spring for the Sony RX100, which will give you near the IQ of the Oly plus a zoom. In fact that's what I did, just got back from a trip to NYC, where I used the E-M5 on solo photo walks, but carried the Sony in a belt pouch when out sightseeing with my wife. The Sony really is a stellar performer.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Wow, that Sony is impressive. But at three times the price and no compatibility with my lenses, that would be a tough sell. I have a friend who is a photographer and is looking for a higher end small camera. I will show it to him. Meanwhile I ordered the E-PM1 in brown with matching Olymous leather case and strap for a classic look. I will use it with my Panasonic 20mm and the 14-42 II R lens (in daylight, at night this lens is a little slow, but it is very light).

Thanks guys!!

Olympus OMD EM5 | M.Zuiko 12mm F2.0 | M.Zuiko 14-42mm II R | Panasonic 20mm F1.7 | Leica 45mm F2.8 | Panasonic 8mm Fisheye F3.5 | M.Zuiko 14-150mm F4-5.6 | Leica 25mm F1.4