Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Please Give Us Input On What You'd Like To See Changed, Included, etc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Please Give Us Input On What You'd Like To See Changed, Included, etc.

I'm not sure this have been brought up, but I would like to have the "photo" section redone. The thumbnails are way to small, and I feel that presenting photos in a thread like it is now does not really work.
    In order for the photos posted to attract visitors/comments they (the thumbnails) must be bigger somehow. One thing that is positive now in this threaded version, is that several photos can be posted in one thread.

I'm not saying this site has it perfect (they don't) Visa bilder - Fotosidan

but something like it perhaps - Where the photo has a better attraction power than now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Default Re: Please Give Us Input On What You'd Like To See Changed, Included, etc.

We've gotten a lot of good suggestions.
    Ann

Anonymous:
    First off, welcome back.

Secondly, thanks for your efforts trying to revitalize this forum.

As a long time paying member I was not overly enthused by the unannouced handover from Tony to Craig and the wholesale changes. I was, truth be told, slightly narked that no one thought to send a note as a courtesy to the long term supporters of forum as well as the active non-paying members. This forum lost a lot of momentum as many respected members got, to put it bluntly, pissed off and left. I see many of them on the other 4/3's forum, hale and hearty.

So, how do we revitalize this place? It's hard to say. Let's look at why I haven't been as active as I have been in the past.

• The oilpatch is booming here and the charter airline I work for as a flight dispatcher resembles the 8th AAF in WWII: maximum effort with every crewable, servicable aircraft flying multiple missions in a day. At the end of my 4 day turn I don't have the mental energy to devote to photography let alone post extensive critiques of other peoples work. Tonight is a first, I only have one aircraft inbound and another leaving at 0600Z so I can take the time.
    • I'm relatively proficient in the nuts and bolts of the craft and find I don't have to ask questions as much. Granted I could respond to question posed but again, ref above observation
    • I find many of the photographs posted just not that interesting. OZRay used to call them "happy snaps". It takes a lot of courage to share your creative effort and I just don't have the words to tell them that they're not really all that interesting. Now, I'm no Bob Capa or Gary Winogrand but you get my drift. Again, for those images that are interesting I just don't have the mental energy to give a meaningful critique.
    • The 4/3's folks snarling at the m4/3's folks is a real turn off. People who bruit about that the EVF is steaming pile of dingo's kidneys when they've never spent time with the dang thing just alienates those of us who either have switched to m4/3's or like me shoot both. It's all 4/3's to my mind.

Why do I still come here and ante up?

• I like the people who are still here.
    • The forum layout is much more readable thanu4/3's and the other 4/3's forum. Having said that though, the low contrast of the current layout, while au courant, can be hard read at times.
    • This is the only forum of the three that supports threaded viewing. I'm old NNTP hack and forums need to be threaded.

I truly hope that you can swing the momentum around. I think you are on the right track. Just recognize people that have been here a long time and reach out to the people that have left. Hey, maybe even say: "Whoops, we kinda dropped the ball on this change over. Please come back and be part of the reconstruction".

Cheers
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi -

I am one of the mods at a modestly large forum (ca 170k+ members). Allow me to give some insights from my perspective.

1) Content is king. Seriously.
    2) Network effects are everything.
    3) Niches are useful, except when they are deadly.

So, let me expand.

You won't get people reading here, let alone participating, when there isn't much in the way of content. Content in hobbyist forums depends on people exchanging information, how to do things, and, for here, their photos as well. We all do things differently and everyone can gain by seeing how others do what they do and why. Now, that requires a core of members who make the commitment and post regularly: the social aspects of forums are critical, since it gives people a place to come and discuss what others find to be mind-boggling bore or arcane.

Network effects are everything: the more people here, the more people will come here. The problem in getting enough people here for network effects to really take off is having a large enough potential population who would consider reading and posting here: given the focus on 4/3, that is a somewhat limited group. Focus is better served on the 4/3 sensor, less on the 4/3 system, so that the potential population is larger (and I dare say that there are significantly more folks out there shooting m4/3 than 4/3 at this point in time!). Opening to m4/3 is a logical expansion of the possible user base. Opening to other camera brands, non-4/3 sensor based, isn't.

Appealing to and focusing on cameras with the 4/3 sensor is a niche market: that can be good in helping everyone to focus on what is important to us all, but it can be deadly if the focus is, for instance, only on, say, the E330. There simply aren't enough folks out there for the latter to make this a really viable forum for anyone except someone running this out of pure love for that camera or that niche.

One of the key things that works where I mod is a open, family-friendly system of moderation, where common sense reigns and trolls, argumentative know-it-alls and other egoists are shown the door, much like you would show someone the door at a social function who is a boor and lets everyone know that they are one. I'm not saying that this is the case here - far from it! - but just saying what has worked elsewhere. Heavy-handed moderation turns people off and drives them away.

All that said, you need support, if not sponsorship, from the 4/3 consortium or the respective manufacturers. The only way you get that is to show that you have a significant portion of the 4/3 sensor user populace reading and participating at the forums. This will take some significant groundwork with Olympus, Panasonic etc to get them to know that the forum exists, that it's a way to communicate with their customers and get feedback about what is good and what needs to be improved, all without the fanboys of other camera systems coming in to bash and drive people away. You have competition, and, to be honest, they're doing a better job in getting people interested and participating than this forum is doing. You need to check the competition out, see what they are doing and why they are doing better, and then do it better than them. You need to get to the photo shows, talk to Olympus in advance to provide people with in-depth analysis and reporting to get reader eyeballs coming here.

Given the relative paucity of new 4/3 equipment - hah! - I'd like to see post in exploiting what our cameras can do. I know that I've only scratched the surface of everything my E30 is really capable of. I'm exploring how to apply the Zone System to digital photography - not that easy a process from my perspective as a long-term Zone system user in 35mm and medium format - and concentrating on improving our photographic knowledge in general is worthwhile...

HDR work, workflow, time-lapse, etc are all topics that tend to get people from other systems also interested...

Just my two cents from a moderator perspective elsewhere.

JohnF

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Thank you for your input, John.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------

An acreage just south of 52.5 degree north Saskatoon, saskatchewan, Canada.
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It's time for some changes. Craig is the owner of the site now and your participation would be greatly appreciated. Please voice your opinions on what you would like to see added, changed, combined, brought back, or whatever on this site.

Are there other forum categories you'd like to see included in the list? Such as a separate place to show your photos for others to critique? Would you like to see the contests come back like before? (weren't they fun?) How about separate categories in the discussion forum?

Please list your ideas here.

Thank you,

Ann[/QUOTE]

I mainly post on the DPreview Olympus DSLR forum, but lurk here from time to time, especially on the Buy and Sell thread when it was moderated by the much missed Bill Turner. And in addition to using Olympus cameras since 1973, and Olympus DSLRs since, I have also long watched the photo industry, most especially the changing fortunes and strategies (?) of Olympus.

Olympus - or at least its imaging division- has seldom done well doing what everybody else does; it has had its greatest successes riding the crest of the waves of it own innovations. That is when these started to really catch on, and before other makers had really been able to establish own competing versions. The OM, and then the small cameras from Fuji and Pentax and Nikon are one example. Any forum for discussion of its products must very much keep this in mind, or risk becoming a fading backwater, and then a museum.

This is why I think that it is vital to maintain an active discussion of micro FT products, especially insofar as these intersect with FT cameras and lenses. I sincerely hope that there will be another FT camera body, but also recognize the great frankness with which Watanabe and Olympus have told us that the solution to continuing the utility of FT lenses may or may not involve this. mFT is still FTand should continue to be part of this website and most especially when many of us use both.
    This makes me really

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Thanks again. Craig and Emily are listening and working in the background on all this. We'll be hearing from them about it again soon.

Ann
    --------

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback.

With the help of Ann, I am currently putting together a list of the suggestions you have all made. I will then run a poll to gain an idea of support for each idea and use this to help prioritize/decide which changes will be implemented and how.

We really appreciate you all getting involved and hopefully together we can make a bigger and better forum.

Cheers,
    Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default onesweetsystem.com

Now that it appears the route Oly will take to merge 4/3 and 4/3 into one sweet system will be making native 4/3 bodies with in-body PDAF to autofocus 4/3 lenses as fast as on 4/3 bodies:

HOT!!! Olympus surprise: We will do the hybrid FT and MFT camera by end 2013! No classic FT E-7 camera anymore! | 43 Rumors

More info about the High End Olympus cameras. It is an OMD? | 43 Rumors

perhaps we have a better idea how to incorporate 4/3 interests smoothly with the 4/3 history of this site. Change the name to One Sweet System, or something similar. For the first year, run a forum category for covering the transition from Oly 4/3 bodies to Oly and Panny 4/3 bodies while bring our impressive 4/3 lenses along for the ride.

For example, I could write posts about my experience using HG and SHG lenses with the E-M5. (I don't own any mZuiko lenses yet and love MF Assist on the E-M5, so I've been using MF 100% since buying the E-M5.) Others can write about their experiences with any aspect of the transition. There can be interesting conversations about how 4/3 prime lenses fill the need left mostly vacant in the 4/3 system, while SG and SHG lenses fill the need for high quality, fast zoom lenses in 4/3. Maybe some have experience with using Oly 4/3 lenses on Panny 4/3 bodies. Etc., etc.

In it's first year, the re-oriented Four/Thirds Photo forum would attract participation as THE place to go for help during the transition. This might interest Olympus, too. After the transition is largely complete, combined with other changes in the forum, the new readership is likely to stay.

Let's embrace the changes that are coming!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Default Re: onesweetsystem.com

I'm going to close this thread given that we have started this one.

I don't want to duplicate discussions and make it too hard to keep track of everyones input.