Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Please Give Us Input On What You'd Like To See Changed, Included, etc.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Please Give Us Input On What You'd Like To See Changed, Included, etc.

Those three sound realistic, categories for panasonic and leica might be added in discuss or under cameras, I took the advice of forum members and bought an E 30 which allows me to use all the Oly stuff I own now with my 510, as one responder put it, that camera is better than 98% of its users, one need only look at Robin Wong's blog to see what he can do with a 520 and a 14-42kit lens, that's photography.

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Re: Please Give Us Input On What You'd Like To See Changed, Included, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Geez, I hope it doesn't look like I'm picking on you Jim cuz I am not

I think if you would have clicked on "New Posts" you would have had a different result.

True, it has been a while since new posts are longer than a page but there has been daily activity all along, just not quite the volume of days gone by

Cheers, Don
    Pick on me all you want...I am still trying to familiarize myself with the new forum software and have no idea how to view only the "new posts". Enlighten me please.

I spent many hours and days and years on this forum and enjoyed it immensely and would love to do so again. However, my lone activity is not enough to bring the life back into this forum. It will take several good members posting and commenting and creating lively discussions, som of which will ruffle a few feather, but if done in a kind and gentle manner, should be tolerated and condoned.

I appreciate Ann's dedication and her attempt to get a good dialogue started that will change what needs to be changed and hopfully stimulate more participation by more people.

Splitting the forum is not the issue, it is complacency and lack of participation for either format that is the issue, most "photo related" posts will apply to either or any format, so conversation and controversy applies to all.

Just GET ACTIVE folks that is the answer!

Enjoy,

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Combining equipment and photography is almost impossible. The equipment one uses to make a photograph is irrelevant to the displayed content.

I chose Olympus equipment at the dawn of the digital age because their DSLR's were designed from the gitgo for digital work. Olympus did not rework a 35mm camera body to accept a digital chip. Also, Leica, Kodak, Olympus, & Panasonic agreed on a standard format with compatibility for them all.

This site should have you post a photograph with the explanation of why the 4/3 (m4/3 is just a variation of equipment) format & equipment helped you accomplish it better than any other format or equipment. This excludes any discussion on post-processing or other effects. The discussion should end with the click of the shutter. If you want to become a better wedding photographer, or a better landscape photographer, or a better portrait photographer, etc.; go to a site for that category of photography.

There will also be people discussing the latest most wonderful equipment. They keep the 4/3 manufacturers in business. There should be a place for them on the site too.

Outside of the two things I propose, I can't think of another reason for continuing the site.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Since I started my own blog, I've found it hard to keep up with this, among others. The contributors here have always been pleasant, helpful and knowledgable, but there never seemed to be much going on. There are many new cameras and technology on the market, but they don't seem to impact this forum much. I'd love to see more user reviews with depth ... not for the sake of controversy (we have more than enough of that!) but because knowing how others experience accessories, cameras and lenses before I invest is important to me. Real users, not professional "testers" tend to give feedback. Lab tests are not meaningful for me: I want to know how equipent works in the field.

I have, as so many do, a limited budget. Trying to figure out where to use that very minimal available dollars is always tricky. Feedback is a critical part of the decision making process. Recently I bought the 45mm 1.8 Oly lens for my P3. I decided that I needed another camera body a lot less than another (faster) lens. I kept waiting to see some serious reviews from users, but it's been more than a year and finally, I crossd my fingers and took the plunge.

I think if you can generate more positive activity and participation ... not more arguments ... that include information, hints, commentary, that would be great!!

I'm at Serendipity: Serendipity

Quote Originally Posted by AnnF View Post
    Hi all. It's been awhile since I was this active. For those who don't know me (yet), I have been with the site since (actually before) it's inception, helped Tony edit articles before becoming live, and took over (from Pavel) running the contests. And all this while we've had some really great moderators helping out behind the scenes as well.

It's time for some changes. Craig is the owner of the site now and your participation would be greatly appreciated. Please voice your opinions on what you would like to see added, changed, combined, brought back, or whatever on this site.

Are there other forum categories you'd like to see included in the list? Such as a separate place to show your photos for others to critique? Would you like to see the contests come back like before? (weren't they fun?) How about separate categories in the discussion forum?

Please list your ideas here.

Thank you,

Ann
    When in doubt ask yourself: "What would the Lone Ranger do?"

Olympus PEN E-PL1: 14-42mm & 40-150mm; Olympus PEN E-P3: 14-42mm II; Canon PowerShot SX130; good ole' Blackberry Torch!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's being addressed.
    Can you share some details on this?

One other thought - enable Tapatalk access for everyone. I follow all of my forums on my iPad via Tapatalk now. If it isn't in there, I don't visit it very often...

Chester Bullock
    E-30, EX-25, 50f2, 14-54 Mk II, Sigma 55-200
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Photos | Blog | Twitter
    "Like" My Photography on Facebook

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hello Everyone!

It's great to have a wonderful resource such as this. I find myself very interested in discussion topics as it relates to gear and system limitations/ creative workarounds. However, as a professional who is making a living with my E-system, I would be grateful if we could consider some kind of dedicated section to other professionals. Many of the topics and discussion replies have more to do with applications for a hobbyist vs. a professional, so it would be great to collaborate with other professionals as it relates to the E-system that we love fits in to digital darkroom workflow, studio capture workflow, output, etc. Just a thought.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think a daily email with some of the latest topics would be nice. I almost forgot I became a member here. I joined this forum with hopes of mastering my gear and learning more creative ways to take on my photography. I am a member of another forum called ugly hedgehog and I receive an email everyday with new topics, I like it because otherwise I might not even go back to that site for a while because I tend to forget things like that. Especially when you look at several different sites everyday.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Originally Posted by AnnF
    It's being addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    Can you share some details on this?
    Chester, Someone posted their comment and I said it was being addressed because it had already been brought up to Craig & Emily for review. I'd have to go back to the post you found that in to see what it was referring to.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by wigpro View Post
    Pick on me all you want...I am still trying to familiarize myself with the new forum software and have no idea how to view only the "new posts". Enlighten me please.

Jim
    Perhaps I am the one that is misunderstanding you Jim.

Clicking on "new posts" works for the whole forum and not just one sub section ??

Attachment 44681

MY SOP on each new visit is to click on "new posts", then I'll read whatever I find interesting and then click on "mark forums read".

Repeat as necessary throughout the day

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800/D500
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think I stopped posting here mostly due to lack of time and feeling like, despite the fights, the Oly dslr forum at dpr was more interesting. But it's become pretty dull over there as posts have also dropped way off, and the m43 dpr forum is a little crazy, so I'd welcome a rejuvenation at fourthirdsphoto.

At a minimum, I think a full embrace of micro-fourthirds is necessary here, even though it will likely require, from what I've seen, more forum moderation. I still use my E5 and have an OMD. Both work well, and one of my favorite combos is landscaping with the 12-60 and OMD. It's hard to say what kind of E5 upgrade will arrive here next year, but it might even be some kind of hybrid, we don't know.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've read much of this thread since getting an email asking for input - I may be a fairly normal 43photo person, buy a 43 as my first real digital camera, wonder why the site seemed overly pro Olympus when Panasonic/Leica where equally important. Start to discover the inadequacies of the system in relation to my personal requirements and like many other participants partially move into other brands. So I now have one 43 product an E-3 +11-22 and 70-300, which is completely out gunned by my other cameras Fuji X100 & Leica M8, it gets used once a year with the 70-300 taking pics of racing lawn mowers and this year I've noticed that world has moved on along way since that combo was really up to speed.

What is interesting to me is that even though I've got little to contribute in a strict 43 world I still find this the nicest forum by a long way - maybe because many of its members also like its conversational style. Responding to this thread has made me quickly think about my browsing and forum habits now. The Fuji site, because X100 is a peculiar beast and you really need help with it sometimes - most Fuji owners seem like 43s in the old days so completely brand loyal that they can't be objective, it is not a fun forum. Leica M8 also diabolically loyal and one eyed but, just like this one, it is about an old and possibly superseded product - it is even less used than this one. (Leica Forum moderators give no latitude which is very frustrating)

I find the quickest way to get info now is to Google it...............and then find you've wasted hours wandering through biased or self ingratiating blogs. Often when looking for Fuji info a Fuji X site on Scoop comes up, but in a way it is radical departure from what we expect, it seems to just list everything anybody is saying about Fuji - so its a one stop shop.

We tend to add links to other sites to add info into a particular post - I suspect if we openly posted "what are we looking at today" threads many of us old rusted on Fourthirds Photo guys would make it our first click of the day. To be honest I think we've become less brand loyal and much more interested in stuff to with photography or what new stuff is emerging.

The strength of this forum is that between us we know heaps of stuff, I remember thinking about doing a Blurb book and Godfrey supplied us with the most detailed and open account of his experience - very helpful indeed.

My advice is to open it up to whatever we're interested in, I think this forum is more about the people in it than the product on the mast head.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm happy to see that there's an interest "at the top" in reviving things. I check in from time to time, but I have to say that the one thing I *don't* enjoy is the endless whining about the (lack of a) next camera. I'd participate a lot more if there were more discussions focused on actually taking photos and using the equipment we have, rather than bemoaning the equipment we haven't got.

I'd love to hear more from folks who are using their Oly gear in business, and sharing tips. I'd also love to see the photo forum become more of a critique and technique discussion forum, rather than just another flickr or instagram "sharing" site. There's a million places we can share photos, and very few where we can discuss what makes them GOOD photos, and how to improve them.

Cheers,

- Rick D.
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I pretty much lost all my respect for this forum, especially owners and moderation team when Godfrey was banned.
    Ever since then I come by just because I am not registered nor I know of any other 4/3 forums. More of a business relation without any loyalty.

Although percentage of very nice, helpful and knowledgeable people compared to others is much higher then on any other boards I visit.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you everyone who has dropped in so far and offered their opinions, it is great to hear from you all and especially those that have lost contact with the forum. We really do appreciate your feedback and will work very hard on building the forum into something that you will look forward to coming to each day.

The next step for us will be to gather your suggestions and along with the moderators work through what we think are the most important and achievable changes we can make. We then plan to put out a plan that you can comment on before we implement the changes.

Now, we will do our best to keep everyone happy, but unfortunately that's not always going to be the case, so please bare with us as we make these changes.

Regards,
    Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I haven't ever posted here a lot, I found this forum when I was looking to buy some 4/3 glass a while back, but I think what might be useful (as others have mentioned) is a better implementation of the ability to upload photos and receive useful feedback. It is a little frustrating to post a photo, get some useful comments about post-processing and offers by people to process it themselves to show a different/improved workflow (my pp is basically some levels/curves/sharpness, and that's about it) and then have to post/host the image somewhere else because of the file size restrictions.

In short, I'd be willing to pay a few $ for the ability to store/upload larger files here so that if people are interested in helping out and editing images they don't have to be hosted on some 3rd party site and linked back here.
    E3 with grip, 12-60, 50-200 SWD, 50 macro, Sigma 30 f1.4, EC-14, Ex-25.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Originally Posted by AnnF
    It's being addressed.

Chester, Someone posted their comment and I said it was being addressed because it had already been brought up to Craig & Emily for review. I'd have to go back to the post you found that in to see what it was referring to.

Ann
    My bad. I meant it in regards to the fees for the Buy and Sell section.

Chester Bullock
    E-30, EX-25, 50f2, 14-54 Mk II, Sigma 55-200
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Photos | Blog | Twitter
    "Like" My Photography on Facebook

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Terry Walls

I agree with Jim. I loved his advice and posts - but although only a snapper I got sick of posting pics and getting absolutley no interest.

It's not like this is the only Olly forum on the net. I am still active on the UK Olympus site but decided I could narrow my interest to one good Ozzie site and one good Olly site and this wasn't it.

Now I know that forums can become a club but who is the owner - I don't know him - who are the moderators - first time I have seen a post from one.

When I was a moderator on an Ozzie site I made sure that no post every went without some form of feedback. Common courtesy. [

I will keep an eye out on how this discussions develops.

QUOTE=wigpro;614563]As one who has pretty much left this forum, when I saw this thread I decided maybe I should reply and give my humble opinion. I am a dedicated 4/3 shooter and have no interest in m4/3rds. But that is not the reason I left and even though I still check this forum almost daily, for the same reasons that I left, I rarely post.

So, why did I leave, the primary reason I left continues today...no posts. I check here the discussion and the photo forum all the time and there is hardly ever any change. The photo forum rarely gets any replies or there are 500 views and 1 or 2 replies. The same with the discussion forum. the inactivity is my reason for leaving and I doubt any changes in the galleries or splitting the discussion forum will only make that worse. So getting people to participate is the real issue, whether it be 4/3 or m4/3 is not the problem.
    Enjoy,

Jim[/QUOTE]
    Terry
    Canberra, Australia
    e620, OM20 and OM40 and lots of stuff

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    Now, we will do our best to keep everyone happy, but unfortunately that's not always going to be the case, so please bare with us as we make these changes.

Regards,
    Emily

I will "bear" with you...at 62 - not much on the "bare" department!

I look forward to reviewing the changes and I am glad there is some interest by the admin and owner to bring some life back into this forum!

Enjoy,

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Although I still have my 4/3rds gear I have pretty much moved on to micro four thirds and therefore don't get on here as much anymore. As such, as others have suggested micro four thirds should be embraced officially on this site.

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

its interesting that Sony decided to keep the SLRs going in one form or other using the SLT principle
    and I notice in the review even DPR dont think SLT will be around forever

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Butler DP Review

While we've been encouraged by the improvements made in mirrorless cameras, the technologies they're based on are still in their early stages of development and can't yet compete with the decades of development that have gone into DSLR phase-detection autofocus. As such, while it's quite possible that the SLT design will be looked back on as a stop-gap measure, the other way of interpreting this is that it's the only way of offering this combination of capabilities, using current technologies.
    this opposed to 'one last gasp' if indeed we are granted that
    following only Olympus SLRs entirely would be a recipe for disaster for a forum
    Last edited by Riley; 12-07-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: accuracy
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Anonymous:
    Like some others, I quit posting because I got tired of going through the hassle of posting a picture only to get 200 looks and one or two comments.

The only way I see that comments could be increased is to have a "2 for 1" forum, where you had to comment on 2 pictures before you could post one.
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

In order to be inclusive, the site should embrace all things with a 4/3 sensor, that includes m4/3, Olympus, Panasonic and anything else that follows the standard. Likewise, the site should embrace all related gear such as lenses (don't care who makes them), flash units, cases, etc. etc. No photography forum would be complete without discussions on tripods, monopods, ball heads, gimbals and the like so discussion of these should also be welcomed.

To be fair, no photo should go unnoticed in the Photos Forum.

If something isn't being discussed and someone thinks it should be then they should feel free to start a thread and see where it goes. And, if there isn't enough traffic to satisfy your reading pleasure, start a thread.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Terry Walls

Toggers like me post pics online not so much for the oh agh response but rather to get some quality feedback from the more experienced photogroahers and indeed the pros that are here. It is how we learn.

I believe that this needs to be encouraged and I stopped using the site because I was positing pics getting 50 views and maybe 1 comment.

If you appoint more experienced moderators and encourage them to trawl the threads offering advice and encouraging members you will soon see an increase in activity and enjoyment.

Have a look at: Australian Photoholics Forum

Also competitions and chanllenges can be fun - have a look at what is happening with fences and posts threads.
    Terry
    Canberra, Australia

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barkly View Post
    Toggers like me post pics online not so much for the oh agh response but rather to get some quality feedback from the more experienced photogroahers and indeed the pros that are here. It is how we learn.

I believe that this needs to be encouraged and I stopped using the site because I was positing pics getting 50 views and maybe 1 comment.

If you appoint more experienced moderators and encourage them to trawl the threads offering advice and encouraging members you will soon see an increase in activity and enjoyment.

Have a look at: Australian Photoholics Forum

Also competitions and chanllenges can be fun - have a look at what is happening with fences and posts threads.
    Good points Terry, right now we have some very good moderators who are swamped keeping up with policing the spammers and other nefarious interlopers. I welcome Ann's renewed participation, maybe Craig and Emily should appoint a few "special" members to patrol the Photo Forum to make those first few critiques and offer friendly advice. They should pick people who have shown excellence in the art/craft and who have provided assistance to those of us who struggle with techniques artistic or technical. I can think of a few people who would be good at it. I don't think it would be too onerous, but everyone would have to agree on the concept. We would all have to follow some simple rules, for example, if you want critique you have to say so up front. If on the other hand you just want people to say ooooh - ahhhh, then put ooooh-ahhhh in the header.

We could probably do with some competition-style events, we have had the "where is this?" thread that Clive started going for damned near 5,000 posts and over 171,000 views so we know that some things can have legs here.

Bottom line is that the owners and moderators only provide and maintain the forum, the members make it live.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Terry Walls

Thank you John - just what I was expecting and think just what this forum needs - but please all do me a favour and look at the APH site - there is a lot of fun going on there:

Australian Photoholics Forum

Quote Originally Posted by jnicklin View Post
    Good points Terry, right now we have some very good moderators who are swamped keeping up with policing the spammers and other nefarious interlopers. I welcome Ann's renewed participation, maybe Craig and Emily should appoint a few "special" members to patrol the Photo Forum to make those first few critiques and offer friendly advice. They should pick people who have shown excellence in the art/craft and who have provided assistance to those of us who struggle with techniques artistic or technical. I can think of a few people who would be good at it. I don't think it would be too onerous, but everyone would have to agree on the concept. We would all have to follow some simple rules, for example, if you want critique you have to say so up front. If on the other hand you just want people to say ooooh - ahhhh, then put ooooh-ahhhh in the header.

We could probably do with some competition-style events, we have had the "where is this?" thread that Clive started going for damned near 5,000 posts and over 171,000 views so we know that some things can have legs here.

Bottom line is that the owners and moderators only provide and maintain the forum, the members make it live.
    Terry
    Canberra, Australia