Thread: Photography Prize - how much money would really get people interested?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Photography Prize - how much money would really get people interested?

The other day someone asked me about photography prizes, most specifically about the kind of prize money that would really send a buzz through both the pro and enthusiast fraternity. Any ideas.

Also just for interest sake, which category of photography would be guaranteed to attract vast numbers of entrants?

Looking forward to your views - Clive

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: Photography Prize - how much money would really get people interested?

I think it all depends on where the contest was held, be it on this website, a local photography club, through a national magazine, etc.

If you are talking about this website, $250 would buzz me, but I would not win because I think on this site the category would have to be birds or landscape, and I really don't shoot either of these.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Photography Prize - how much money would really get people interested?

No Lawrence - not just this website, lets make it worldwide! my gut feeling was that landscape or wild life would figure pretty highly in popularity. My personal choice favours a loose interpretation of landscape, meaning that it could include people which would then mean you could drag one of your models out into the desert and get some amazing shots.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

If you want to attract the best photographers; I think you need to charge people for the priviledge to be in your photo contest. Let's say $50 ... This will deter most FB posters

The price doesn't need to be in the silly money territory - $2000?
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have seen prizes of $50,000
    Photography Competition Grand Prize Is $50,000 | CreativePro.com

and others around $15,000

surely an open topic such as 'nature' would attract the most
    or perhaps you need no topic at all

$2 entry fee, 40,000 entrants, commercial contribution
    not hard to foresee $100,000 being approachable
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks guys - "pets"!!!! OMG just imagine an art gallery full of them!! I think I'd be taken away by men in white coats after a few seconds of it. Nature - would probably mean that you'd be swamped with nudes which is fine but guaranteed to cause controversy and too much anger.

Landscape appeals to me because there is something intrinsically controversial about it with a great deal of people thinking that if its great for a calendar its great landscape photography and many others thinking that picture that could go on a calendar just isn't art.
    Last edited by Halfa; 12-15-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: stupidity

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A prize of $1,500 or so would be interesting. Choosing a category would be even more interesting. I think Daniel's idea of dung beetles is great, that's nature right? Without a category, it would be near impossible to choose a winner, how do you choose between the best ever "people" shot and the best ever "landscape"? What does landscape mean?

Interesting concept though.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Landscapes are everywhere and something everyone could have "access" to and be creative. Not everyone is around 'beautiful' landscapes, so that's where creativity comes into play. How many pretty sunsets have we seen? Or mountain scenes, etc? Being specific will draw more creativity, I think.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks again - I'm beginning to realise that one of the attractions of prizes is that the organisation that hosts a prize is able to fully express it'sown ideals and values by the way they design the rules, criteria, subject.

When done well both host and competitors benefit.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Halfa View Post
    Thanks again - I'm beginning to realise that one of the attractions of prizes is that the organisation that hosts a prize is able to fully express it'sown ideals and values by the way they design the rules, criteria, subject.

When done well both host and competitors benefit.
    The key thing is to do it well. I would think that would mean knowing exactly what your ideals are. When that is achieved, it works.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnF View Post
    Landscapes are everywhere and something everyone could have "access" to and be creative. Not everyone is around 'beautiful' landscapes, so that's where creativity comes into play. How many pretty sunsets have we seen? Or mountain scenes, etc? Being specific will draw more creativity, I think.

Ann
    I would have to agree, if we include urban landscapes or city-scapes in the mix then everyone has access. Die hard landscapers may have a different view though.
    ​John Nicklin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yep - landscape has become one those words that has been high jacked by architects, landscape architects, city planners, conceptual artists, arts agencies, academics and the list goes on - and on! with words added to it that I personally find infuriating like, urban landscape, banking or retail landscape etc.

I was recently on the pre-selection panel for a $30,000 landscape painting prize that takes a very broad view of what can be a landscape, other panel members didn't seem amused when I quipped that it seemed as if as seascape could be a landscape, but a landscape couldn't be a seascape.

My choice for this prize is a bit of reverse elitism by favouring non-urban landscapes.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jnicklin View Post
    I would have to agree, if we include urban landscapes or city-scapes in the mix then everyone has access. Die hard landscapers may have a different view though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfa View Post
    My choice for this prize is a bit of reverse elitism by favouring non-urban landscapes.
    I had always thought a landscape was any scenic shot of an area. Could be any density of people/buildings. Techniques are usually the same for both. My definition would insist upon 1) being outdoors, 2) not of any specific person, building, or object. Key subjects would be land, sea, sky, and whatever buildings/objects/cars/boats/people happen to be in the image at that time (not placed there for the photo). For example, you place your camera in a given location, and take a picture of that view, with no prior preparation of the area.

Why I would not enter a contest is because I rarely have the appropriate subject matter to shoot. Most of the people I know don't like having their pictures taken, which rules out portraits. The area I live in doesn't offer much apart form city type landscapes, all angles of which I've seen others do before.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I might as well come clean now, our state government is offering a $350,000 prize/award/grant for small rural communities under 1500 people, the title of the project is - Small Town Transformations, it is administered by Regional Arts Victoria - our community is well placed to pick one of these up, our shopping list is relatively simple and unspectacular - ie, it lacks a high profile "stick in everyone's mind" iconic banner component. Brain storming dwelt on the local's funny assertion that their little town is the centre of the universe. This lead to the cheeky idea that we have the "The world's greatest Landscape" photographic prize, the unique twist would be that our 200 residents would judge the prize, making them the town that judged the world.

Then we started to get a bit practical! if the idea appealed to many people, we could have 45000 photos to look at on a computer screen! and that's the easy bit - it would be logistics nightmare. So we think we may have moved on.

Because we live in big wide Landscape we thought that seeing everyone else's rural landscape may both exciting and informative.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Wow. Sounds like fun!

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

it does doesn't it - I've always loved ideas that make normal people special - back in 1983 I did what I thought was a very small project for a local town, I got every primary school child to write their names on tiles, these were fired to make them permanent and then arranged on a structure in the centre of town - the idea being that they had as much right to be there as the famous. The children have grown up now and have children of their own and I quite often see parents pointing their names out to their kids, quite touching.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

That is very special indeed!

Ann
    --------

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Peter

Hi friends i just want to say here in your productive discussion that the most important thing is in photographer should be make good and natural photo from the high quality and expensive camera's and display these photos in any exibition for sale purpose the general public have a lot of interst in photography and they are ready to purchase and spen the money of your deamnd on your photos but the most imprttant thing that i have been told you is necessory to sale the photos....