Thread: Bought an e-5!!!! lost my USB cable

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Walter

Default Bought an e-5!!!! lost my USB cable

A few weeks back I bought a second hand E-5 from a reputable dealer in Melbourne Australia, I am delighted with the performance improvement over my much used E-510, especially focussing and highlights.

In my rushlast week to try out the E-5 in the studio, I packed my gear but misplaced the USB cable I intended to use for tethered shooting.

With my E-510, for tethered shooting I use a 5 meter USB which has a built in amplifier at the far end to boost the signal and I connect it to the E-510 native cable and it works very well.

I am concerned that if I use a 3rd party "mini USB" style cable (which fits the E-5) and connect it to the amplified USB cable, the lack of protection on the 3rd party cable might cause problems. [The Olympus cable for the E-5 has two ferrite protection units , one at each end to stop high freq signals travelling down the usb cable], the 3rd part cable has no ferrites

Do any of use have experience with 'amplified USB cables' used with the E-5 and with 3rd party cables connecting drevctly to the E-5.??

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Default Re: Bought an e-5!!!! lost my USB cable

I haven't had any experiences with this myself, but perhaps others have. Did you find any answers to your question yet?

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've used all kinds of aftermarket cables and never had a problem. I'm assuming when you mention "amplified cable" you're referring to an "active extension" and/or "powered hub"? Those should only be putting out 5V DC 500mA. Unless your amplified cable fails, you should have no problem. If for some reason it shorted or put out higher power output, the type of cable your using to connect the camera won't save you unless it had a fuse, which I don't think any do. The Ferrite cores will only help reduce EMI (interference) and improve signal quality, they will not protect against power surge or short.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Walter

Yes you are right, its an active extension, thanks for your informative feedback, most helpful
    Regards Walter