View Poll Results: Have your Say!!! Vote for your most wanted features! (multiple options allowed)

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Introduce micro 4/3rds and rebrand site to reflect

83 76.85%
  • Create a team of moderators

35 32.41%
  • Reduce the number of forum areas

37 34.26%
  • Loyalty Bonus for Paid Members

15 13.89%
  • Reviews Section - Detailed User Reviews

66 61.11%
  • More Skin Options for background color choices

14 12.96%
  • Daily Email Digest

13 12.04%
  • Photo Competions

47 43.52%
  • Option to flag photos for Critique

48 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have your say: Vote for your most wanted Features

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Arrow Have your say: Vote for your most wanted Features

Thank you everyone for your contributions.

We have gathered them together and this is what we have come up with.

1. Introduce micro 4/3rds and re-brand the site to reflect this
    2. Create a team of moderators to help provide feedback and input into the forum
    3. Reduce the number of Forum areas, these may include, 3 main areas, with forum areas beneath them.
    - Discussion
    - Questions & Comments
    - General Chit Chat
    - Professional
    - Technique
    - Equipment (or should this go in questions & comments)
    - Post Processing & Dark Room

- Photos
    - landscape
    - wildlife
    - portrait/wedding
    - street/photojournalism
    - sports
    - macro
    - professional ??
    - Buy & Sell

4. Loyalty Bonus - extra 50mb for each year renewed

5. Reviews Section - With detailed user reviews (each review to be submitted to moderators for approval before being published)
    6. Add some more skins so that users can select from different color schemes
    7. Option for Daily Email Digest of latest posts
    8. Photo Competitions
    9. Option to flag photo's for Critique

Please vote for the features that are most important to you. We will then get to work, working on the best way to implement these changes without too much disruption to the daily runnings of the Forum.

Thank you for you input and we look forward to the new and exciting FourThirdsPhoto.com!

Cheers,
    Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Have your say: Vote for your most wanted Features

Mostly interested in how to use micro 4/3 cameras as they are extremely difficult to set up ex. OMD-E-M5. Different programs to set up. What new lenses and equipment is on the market that will fit the camera. How new How to Use Books, or articles. And any new software that includes the camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I also would have voted for Tapatalk access for all people.

Chester Bullock
    E-30, EX-25, 50f2, 14-54 Mk II, Sigma 55-200
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Photos | Blog | Twitter
    "Like" My Photography on Facebook

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Jesse

My votes are:

1. Rebranding the site
    2. Photo competitions
    3. Flagging for critique

I haven't been active on the site lately, but I hope this is the beginning of something good. Whatever kind of rig you got...keep shooting!
    Jesse

Cameras
    Olympus: E-300
    Olympus: EPL7

Lenses and Stuff
    Olympus: 14-45, 14-54Mk-1, 40-150Mk-1, 35, EX-25, EC-14, HLD-3, ME-1, & RM-CB1
    Fotodiox: Pro 4/3 to m4/3 adapter
    Sigma: 70-200 (m4/3) 19, 30, & 60mm f/2.8 lenses

Lighting
    Olympus: FL-50
    Altman: 650 watt Fresnel
    Smith-Victor: (2) 720SG focusing floodlights
    FJ Westcott: (2) TD-5 Spiderlites

Photos
    Ask me

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    I was told that Tapatalk costs them to offer it. They do offer "Forum Runner" as an alternative for mobile access and that is free for all members.

Thanks for bringing it up,

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

IMO, it idiotic to even have to ask about m4/3. Its part of the Olympus brand and should be included. I have no interest in m4/3 but I don't understand why it should even be a question on whether or not to include it.
    I'm sick of terms like "re-brand". This is either an Olympus camera forum or it isnt. Why is this so hard?
    I stopped in here yesterday for the first time in a week or so. The first thing I see is another doom & gloom thread at the top of the discussion page.
    Speculation & doom and gloom threads need be killed instantly if you want to attract people. Its fine to talk about things you'd like to see, new features,
    what do you think will be next etc, but if you are constantly talking about the death of a system -how the hell do you ever expect to keep it alive?
    Sorry for the rant.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." —John Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    IMO, it idiotic to even have to ask about m4/3. Its part of the Olympus brand and should be included. I have no interest in m4/3 but I don't understand why it should even be a question on whether or not to include it.
    I'm sick of terms like "re-brand". This is either an Olympus camera forum or it isnt. Why is this so hard?
    I stopped in here yesterday for the first time in a week or so. The first thing I see is another doom & gloom thread at the top of the discussion page.
    Speculation & doom and gloom threads need be killed instantly if you want to attract people. Its fine to talk about things you'd like to see, new features,
    what do you think will be next etc, but if you are constantly talking about the death of a system -how the hell do you ever expect to keep it alive?
    Sorry for the rant.
    Have to agree with that.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSkier View Post
    I agree.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Sorry for the rant.
    No need to apologise, it seems you're certainly not alone.

With my admin hat on, we can't stop the doom and gloom, but we can help encourage the positive, constructive discussions. But "rants" such as this by you and others are more than likely to help more. I don't know that we want to kill threads with censorship. But passionate users who share opposing views is what we'd like to see more.

I'm interested in your point "this is either an Olympus camera forum or it isnt?"

Is that how you and others feel? Or was it a generalisation as they're the dominant brand in this space?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Is that how you and others feel? Or was it a generalisation as they're the dominant brand in this space?
    My take on this forum was that it was for the entire Four-Thirds standard, all manufacturers. Of course the biggest player here was Olympus, but users of Panasonic and Leica cameras posted/replied to threads as well, and as far as I saw, were welcomed. I consider mFT a sub-set of the Four-Thirds standard, making it part of it.

You've heard the phrase: "a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square", well, Four-Thirds is the "rectangle", and mFT is the "square" in the analogy I'm trying to make here.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Merging 4/3 with µ4/3

I just posted this before I saw the new thread, but it fits here:

Chit Chat Please Give Us Input On What You'd Like To See Changed, Included, etc. - Page 5

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default Re: Merging 4/3 with µ4/3

Craig-
    I should have said the "4/3 system", rather than "Olympus".
    They all have the same sensor format so they all should be included.
    My bad, I apologize. It is a consortium by design after all
    To me, this is a no brainer. I don't see the need for 13 different sub forums for m4/3, 4/3, Panasonic etc.
    the simple topic selection that already exists (like the photo section ie "landscape, macro, etc"
    could be configured to take care of that if people are too
    lazy to include a hint in their subject line when creating a new topic.

Most of the friends I've made here have quit coming here for the reasons I posted.
    4/3 is dead, 4/3 is gone, OMG the sky is falling wha wha wha wha.
    If you don't like it, fine bail and get out. Otherwise lets talk about taking photos & the equipment
    that most of us like and still use!

I came here to learn how to use my chosen equipment, & learn to develop the skills to take better than
    "snap shot" photos. The other thing that is severely lacking is constructive photo critiquing. I post pictures
    for feedback on making them better. "Nice pic" "cute" etc doesn't fulfill that need.
    I can get a pat on the back from Facebok and elsewhere.
    I guess every one is worried about bunching someones panties now, so nothing gets commented on.
    Critiquing does not have to be technical to be helpful. A simple "this is what I like and why or what I don't like and why"
    is way better & much more helpful than "nice capture"

I applaud the efforts to revitalize the forum, I miss the comradery and great place this used to be.

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This is the first time I have posted.
    I came here because I embrace the concept of 4//3 m4/3.
    I have looked at many other forums and have enjoyed the photos and in many cases constructive critque.
    I like that they have threads for different types if photographs "macro" "landscape" "portrait" "backlit".........

One of the great things with m4/3 is the abillity to use just about any lens ever made. How creative can we get?
    Our photos are every bit as good as those taken with any other camera system so why don't we enter other contests as well and link them to this site so others can appreciate what we already know?

I started with a SP500UZ then an E-3 with 12-60, 50 2.0 Macro, 70-300, 50-200, EX-25, EC-20, HLD-4, FL50R. Next came the E-PL1, 14-42 and EV-2. Now the EM-5 12-50 and FL-300. I have enjoyed each of the cameras and will into the future.

We have a good thing going here. Lets keep it civil and move foreward.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Finnerty View Post
    I just posted this before I saw the new thread
    Yep, saw it. I just closed that thread so we can keep it together.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Thanks for all the feedback and votes so far. I'm quite excited about where this is going to lead.

Reading some of the comments above, should "Rumours and Future Direction," or something similar, be a separate forum?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Sorry for the rant.
    Well, there have been quite a few vocal individuals who wanted this to be a 4/3 only forum, so I think it is a sensible question. And µ-4/3 is not only Olympus. A lot of us shoot Panasonic, so making it a Olympus ony forum is also the wrong way to go.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback and votes so far. I'm quite excited about where this is going to lead.

Reading some of the comments above, should "Rumours and Future Direction," or something similar, be a separate forum?
    That is actually a good idea. We have that on another forum I am a regular on.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Craig-
    I should have said the "4/3 system", rather than "Olympus".
    They all have the same sensor format so they all should be included.
    My bad, I apologize. It is a consortium by design after all
    To me, this is a no brainer. I don't see the need for 13 different sub forums for m4/3, 4/3, Panasonic etc.
    the simple topic selection that already exists (like the photo section ie "landscape, macro, etc"
    could be configured to take care of that if people are too
    lazy to include a hint in their subject line when creating a new topic.

Most of the friends I've made here have quit coming here for the reasons I posted.
    4/3 is dead, 4/3 is gone, OMG the sky is falling wha wha wha wha.
    If you don't like it, fine bail and get out. Otherwise lets talk about taking photos & the equipment
    that most of us like and still use!

I came here to learn how to use my chosen equipment, & learn to develop the skills to take better than
    "snap shot" photos. The other thing that is severely lacking is constructive photo critiquing. I post pictures
    for feedback on making them better. "Nice pic" "cute" etc doesn't fulfill that need.
    I can get a pat on the back from Facebok and elsewhere.
    I guess every one is worried about bunching someones panties now, so nothing gets commented on.
    Critiquing does not have to be technical to be helpful. A simple "this is what I like and why or what I don't like and why"
    is way better & much more helpful than "nice capture"

I applaud the efforts to revitalize the forum, I miss the comradery and great place this used to be.
    I have to agree with about 99% of what old Jimbo said...I am tired of the doom and gloom as well. Most of us, me included,don't even begin to use the capabilities of what we have and I for one will continue to shoot my current 4/3 system until it dies or a miracle happens and I outgrow it.

I agree 100% that the forum needs to change, but what I miss is the interaction and activity. This forum used to be "alive" tons of posts everyday and great interaction and feedback. Now the post list rarely changes. So a change is definitely in order.

I wouldn't mind if they opened it up to all 4/3 and m4/3 or even any format if it would get active again.

The activity and interaction is what I miss.

Create a separate category for the naysayers and keep it off the main discussion page.

Glad to see things are starting to happen...I will keep visiting regularly and hope it moves forward.

Enjoy,

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    Well, there have been quite a few vocal individuals who wanted this to be a 4/3 only forum, so I think it is a sensible question. And µ-4/3 is not only Olympus. A lot of us shoot Panasonic, so making it a Olympus only forum is also the wrong way to go.
    If this was aimed at my comment as the quote implies- it uncovers another forum anomaly. Commenting without reading what was written in all the posts made.
    See post 12 -line #1
    If your comment was in general towards the Olympus name & forgetting the other brands included,then I agree completely.
    4/3 is about a sensor format, a ratio, I don't care if it's in a pro camera or the new Lego camera, if it has the 4/3 sensor, it's welcome aboard!

I'm stressing the IF becasue we have an international conversation going on here and nuances can be confusing- I simply do not know which way Toms comments were meant to be taken

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

If this was aimed at my comment as the quote implies- it uncovers another forum anomaly. Commenting without reading what was written in all the posts made.
    See post 12 -line #1
    If your comment was in general towards the Olympus name & forgetting the other brands included,then I agree completely.
    4/3 is about a sensor format, a ratio, I don't care if it's in a pro camera or the new Lego camera, if it has the 4/3 sensor, it's welcome aboard!

I'm stressing the IF becasue we have an international conversation going on here and nuances can be confusing- I simply do not know which way Toms comments were meant to be taken
    I will try again.

My first comment was an answer to your "IMO, it idiotic to even have to ask about m4/3." statement. Unfortunately I think is a question that had to be asked, as there have been others (not you) that has wanted this to be a 4/3 system only forum. That is cameras using four-thirds cameras and lenses. No µ-4/3 stuff at all.

I will blame a server flu for not reading the other posts before answering. So my comments on "Olympus" vs the rest, can be ignored. I agree that this forum should cover all the nuances of µ-4/3 and 4/3 there is; they are two different lens mounts that share more common than the same sensor size.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wigpro View Post
    Create a separate category for the naysayers and keep it off the main discussion page.
    This is GREAT! I love it! There could be a sub-forum for "4:3s is Dead! Post your gloom and doom here!"

I cannot tell you how much I agree with the comments about the tiresome attitude towards the future of 4:3s. To be honest, there have been some very good discussions among some members here discussing the pros & cons of changing from a 4:3 to a m4:3 body. This was a decision I had to make recently, because my E-30 is really showing its age. And I greatly benefited form the experience and insight of other forum members... which is why I started coming here several years ago. But like Jim and others said above, most people do not come close to using the full capabilities of their technology, and until they do, to lament its speculative passing is just a major drag on the attitude of the forum.
    Last edited by wclavey; 12-22-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    most people do not come close to using the full capabilities of their technology, and until they do, to lament its speculative passing is just a major drag on the attitude of the forum.
    While I have participated in such threads, I believe I've done so on the side of those waiting for a new body, not calling the system dead.

I have to disagree with the statements about most people not fully utilizing their equipment. You're kidding yourselves if you think some more DR, detail, or sensitivity wouldn't be helpful. Not to say that you cannot make spectacular photos with current equipment, but everyone can benefit from additional capabilities we might see in new equipment. No, I don't use every feature of my current gear, but that doesn't mean that if certain specifications were improved I wouldn't notice. Better technical image quality doesn't make a bad photo good, but a good photo can clearly be better when taken with better equipment in the same capable hands.

Video is even more obvious, as many of the bodies have barely adequate quality for today. Keep in mind you'll be viewing these videos 20, 30, maybe 40 years from now. From what I've seen with video, you must use the best equipment you can afford at the time, as it will look outdated fast. My gradparents had their wedding captured with a film movie camera (not sure if 8mm or 16mm). It looks far superior to my parent's wedding video, which was done with a late 1970's video camera and videocassette deck. Everyone can appreciate better video quality, if not today, at least years (decades) from now.

Another thing to keep in mind when people (myself) are begging for features in a new body, is that we (I) haven't had the current generation or maybe even past gen pro-body. If I had an E-5, yeah, I could wait a little while for a replacement, but when I passed up on the E-3, and and found the E-5 to not be a financially logical decision, I've been waiting pretty much 5 years for that ideal pro-body. I have reason to be impatient when there's no ideal option out there. If I'm going to put down $2000-$4000 into a small system I had better be sure it's right for me, and I have reason to be picky.
    -Mark

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    This is GREAT! I love it! There could be a sub-forum for "4:3s is Dead! Post your gloom and doom here!"
    Can we host this sub forum on DPR?

Tom-
    I guess I never sensed the 4/3 only attitude, unless its come around since
    the changeover, then I can see how I missed it by being mostly absent

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Mark, I agree with you... there are specific features that I really feel as if an improvement in the E-XX capabilities would help me with. For example, I started doing Milky Way shots while I was on a photo course in the Big Bend NP last year and the E-30 was simply too noisy to get decent shot out of. I recognize that and an improvement in the image processor and sensor would have made all the difference... and had the E-5 had better internals then I would gotten one, but it didn't... But at the same time, I am not going to lament the demise of the 4:3s technology. My E-30 has a lot of clicks on it and is acting up, so I replaced it with an OM-D, which is still a 4:3s technology, even if the mount is different. I can still use my high quality lenses and I have protected my investment in them. I think that, in reality, it points out the need to continue to evolve rather than think that the specific configuration we have today is the only configuration that can actually work. I agree that those discussions about the potential new configurations of an E-5 successor are exactly the ones that I learned the most from.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Its fine to talk about things you'd like to see, new features,
    It seems to me that if it's "fine to talk about things you'd like to see, new features" etc, then what you call "doom and gloom" threads are going to happen. I mean, the current thread called " 43rds is gone" is a mixture of things people would like to see, what they think might be happening, and also some doom and a little gloom. What's wrong with that? I'm tired of people complaining about complaining (aka "doom and gloom")!

When a manufacturer changes direction as hard as Olympus is doing, I think such talk is inevitable and not surprising. Earlier doom and gloom (some by me) involved wondering where the E-50 was, etc. Newer doom and gloom is wondering whether an E-7 will be produced. Again, what's wrong with that?

Edit: As to whether this drives people away from a forum, well, I suppose perhaps it does. But who is causing this? I mean, if say Canon announced tomorrow that they would no longer make APS-C crop DSLRs, you can bet there would be a s***storm. But this would be because of what they did, not the fault of the user base. Same with what is going on now with Olympus.
    Last edited by RAH; 12-23-2012 at 05:12 AM.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32