Thread: Delta 1 CS6 Jr Camera stand

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Default Delta 1 CS6 Jr Camera stand

Greetings,

I've been looking for an affordable option for a camera stand, quite simply put I got tired of tripping over tripod legs and frustrated with having to adjust three legs for height.

It is not pretty but it is SOLID. The largest load it will see is ~5# and it's not a big deal to adjust for height by hand but I do plan on adding a counterweight.

B&H for $320 plus $70 to get it to Canada. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/118400-REG/Delta_00902_CS6_Jr_Camera_Stand.html

The next stand up is the Arkay 6JR-6 Mono Stand Jr @ $600 plus shipping. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2726-REG/Arkay_602421_6JR_6_Mono_Stand_Jr.html

I was informed before I picked it up that there was some damage to the carton. The legs were wrapped nicely in bubble wrap but there was no other packaging inside the box and the legs tried to escape

Attachment 44862

The stand weights in at 36# and is constructed of 2" square 1/8" thick steel, of course there was no damage. The footprint is 32" and the sliding arm is 22".

Attachment 44864

It is soon apparent that the manufacturer cut corners by not grinding any of the welds. And I'm fine with that if it keeps the price down !

Attachment 44861

The legs are attached to the upright with two 3/8" bolts. The holes didn't quite match up but it was quick work with a drill and steel bit to make an adjustment.

Attachment 44865

For comparison purposes this is my smaller Velbon tripod along side the camera stand.

Attachment 44867

Camera stand with my existing Velbon ball head with E-3/14-35 mm in portrait orientation.

Attachment 44866

Closer view from the business end..

Attachment 44863

The 2" locking casters are a bit awkward to get at but I found with my smooth floor and shooting tethered the stand is heavy enough to stay put without locking.

There was only 3/16" of threaded rod to mount the ball head but it does seem to be sufficient.

All in all I'm quite pleased and looking forward to a more efficient and less frustrating work flow.

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Default Re: Delta 1 CS6 Jr Camera stand

I like that stand very much. It looks pretty solid. I'm sure you will be pleased with it more as time goes by. I don't like tripping over tripod legs, either.
    Is that a Delta lathe in the background?

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

It's a General 160 lathe Ann...

Right now I'm considering adding a shelf on the camera stand main post opposite and seperate from the camera position for my laptop to sit on. That will eliminate a small rolling cart I use now.

And I also realized the two lesser light stands I use to hold reflectors can be disassembled (in a none destructive way) and the columns are hollow.

The plan is to cement appropriately sized rods into gallon pails and the stands can be mounted on the rods.

That takes me from a total of 9 legs and one cart down to three columns

Now that makes me happy !

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Good idea. Looking forward to seeing the changes.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

That looks pretty sweet Don. I can foresee you making a trip to the steel supply yard and hanging all kinds of stuff off that post Castors can be replaced easily or changed out for nylon glides which you could adjust for uneven shop floors.

ps I use a General 350. Built like a tank ... in Canada.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Mike, so far all I can think is why did I wait so long to purchase a camera stand

My floors are smooth so I doubt if I'll get around to upgrading the castors.

But I am going to make a wood prototype laptop tray and see how I like working that way...

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography