Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone use a Sony RX100?

Gabriola Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default anyone use a Sony RX100?

still searching for a small, take everywhere camera. Oly candidates are: xz-1 or xz-2, epl-5 or or perhaps a good deal onan older model. Currently have an E-510 and an E-1 but really want something smaller than a Pen.

Tempted by the Sony offering...

Anyone able to comment about their experience or thoughts on a small cammera? My Panasonic zs-1 is not up to my needs so I want an upgrade.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: anyone use a Sony RX100?

Got my wife an LX5 for christmas. Fits the "good deal on older model" requirement since it is behind the leading edge. Great little camera. Besides price, chose it for the bright lens, 24mm equiv fov.

You've probably already read this.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for the suggestion, an lx5 or lx7 is another worthy choice. I am off to Indonesia in March so want a compact for that trip.

Bill

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

I considered one before I ended up with the E-PM2...while I love the epm2 with 20mm, it's nowhere near a pocketable as the rx100. THe other option I looked at wat the XZ-2, but it hadn't been released yet.
    Clint
    Rockin' it Mirrorless Style
    Olympus EM-1, E-PM2, LX-7, S110
    7.5, 12-32, 12-40, 14-42, 20, 25, 45, 75
    Asahi 35 2, SMC Super Tak 135 2.5, Super Tak 200 4
    HLD-7, FL-600r, FL-36r, FL-36, Cactus V5 Duo (x2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Going to try and get off my island on Friday, drive two hours to find a camera store or stores so that I can physically try out some of the candidates.

The rx100 is at the top of my list because of size and performance but perhaps a bargain find might be the compromise.

Fun searching anyway.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

The RX100 is the best camera in that size when looking at IQ. There are some minor niggles though, no charger in the box; charging happens through PC or USB charger. No big deal as long as you only have one battery. It also lacks a remote socket.

The Olympus E-PM2 and E-PL5 has better IQ at the expense of a larger body. Personally, I would chose the Panasonic GX1 as my small body camera with the 14-42X zoom lens and 20mm f/1.7 fixed lens.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I wouldn't take anything with sub-DSLR quality on a trip to Indonesia. I have done it before and have been disappointed every time. While compacts are somewhat passable without zooming in, the moment you zoom in the quality just goes straight to the crapper. The RX100 isn't any different.

These countries are super excellent for portraits. The m4/3 45mm f/1.8 cannot be beat for this given the small size and price. This focal length was my second most used after 14mm (in 4/3 terms). Portraiture with a compact - forget it.

I also enjoy using long telephotos in these countries, upto 200mm (or 400mm in 35mm terms). Its nice to put some distance between you and the people you're trying to photograph, as well as the occasional wildlife and also elements of buildings, like temples, etc. I would never go without at least the 40-150mm (80-300mm) range being available.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    The RX100 is the best camera in that size when looking at IQ. There are some minor niggles though, no charger in the box; charging happens through PC or USB charger. No big deal as long as you only have one battery. It also lacks a remote socket.

The Olympus E-PM2 and E-PL5 has better IQ at the expense of a larger body. Personally, I would chose the Panasonic GX1 as my small body camera with the 14-42X zoom lens and 20mm f/1.7 fixed lens.
    XZ-2 also use USB charge ....... but it supports wired shutter........
    I had a chance to test the RX100 few months ago, but eventually I selected the XZ-2, it is like a mini EM-5 .....

The E-PM2 size is not much bigger than the XZ-2 but offers much higher IQ, and you can change lenses too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have just bought an RX100. It's a lovely camera, very well built and I really like the user interface.
    I just got it yesterday so not had a chance to really put it through it's paces but initial impressions are good.
    I'll use it when going walking etc and as a carry everywhere camera as it fits into any jacket or trouser pocket.
    It gets very good reviews from pretty much everyone.

Paul
    G5, GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25.
    RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Having sold the xz-1 to buy an epm2, even with the smaller 20mm lens, the size difference is noticeable. The only lens that would perhaps make it feel smaller would be the body cap 15mm or maybe the 17mm pancake.
    Clint

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post
    I wouldn't take anything with sub-DSLR quality on a trip to Indonesia. I have done it before and have been disappointed every time. While compacts are somewhat passable without zooming in, the moment you zoom in the quality just goes straight to the crapper. The RX100 isn't any different.
    I am inclined to agree with you. The RX100's IQ is better than most in the class; but it is a visible improvement if one goes for -4/3 and a small selection of good lenses.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I have the RX-100 and it is a terrific little camera. In good light it will give you files that easily print to 17x22, albeit with a little more noise and less DR than an m4/3 camera. I did head to head tests against the OM-D with the Panny pancake zoom at around 35mm equiv focal length (where I usually shoot), and 17x22 prints were very very very close. A no-brainer to get it over a smaller sensor pocket camera if price is not an issue. For me, even the smaller m4/3 bodies with a pancake are too large to work as "belt cameras," but YMMV.
    Last edited by olddigiman; 01-24-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

thanks, I read the gx1 review last night and like the combo of lenses you suggest. Gives me the option using my 4/3 lens collection as well.

Bill

The Olympus E-PM2 and E-PL5 has better IQ at the expense of a larger body. Personally, I would chose the Panasonic GX1 as my small body camera with the 14-42X zoom lens and 20mm f/1.7 fixed lens.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Aaargh, so many choices and well reasoned responses. Thanks everyone. I know how much use my ancient Panasonic zs1 has had over the past year or three and I always had it with me while the dslrs all too often stayed on the shelf.
    I guess my decision will depend upon the usual compromises and pocketability (belt-pouchability?) will likely be a factor. That and the chance to actually get my hands on some of the reccomended cameras since samples are hard to find.

Tomorrow I will be 'off island' and driving to some camera stores---along with other chores---so hope to make a decision.

Cheers,
    Bill

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Are you driving down to Victoria? If so I'd be interested in hearing what's available.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

I carry my epm2 with one lens (20 or 45) in a small crumpler pleasure dome bag with me every day...It fits inside my Think Tank Urban Disguise with my 15"MBP and iPad...I think my ipad weighs more than the EPM2, so I barely notice that it is there. Now of course when I slap on the ZD 7-14, that's a whole new story.
    Clint

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

[QUOTE=MikeL;617675]Are you driving down to Victoria? If so I'd be interested in hearing what's available.

It will not be a thorough search as that quest is secondary to bringing home cooking to the PhD candidate and getting new tires on her car. Might start at The Sony Store in Mayfair Mall (the one in Nanaimo has closed) and maybe Kerrisdale Camera and/or London Drugs.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Calais225 View Post
    thanks, I read the gx1 review last night and like the combo of lenses you suggest. Gives me the option using my 4/3 lens collection as well.
    I bought the G3 last autumn as it was dirt cheap; even though it was the GX1 I wanted. They have the same IQ; but I still lust for the GX1 ...

I think it is because I had the GF1 earlier, and it is the type of camera that you just want to use all the time. Those who have bought the GX1 say that it gives the same feeling as GF1.

Haven't heard anyone who uses RX100 has the same feeling about their camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

At a certain point size really becomes critical. I carry and LX5 skiing and often take it kayaking. Size is not really an issue in the Kayak but I don't really feel like dunking my E-M5. An E-PM with small lens would be manageable in a goggle or coat pocket but a ski instructor friend says lots of folks fall on cameras and really smash their ribs up. I generally carry the LX5 in a hip pocket and it's about as big as I'd go. The RX100 is pretty tempting given the diminutive size and relative IQ. It'll fit in a small pocket. I'd buy one at $450 but at $650 it's not a no brainer. I'm leaning toward keeping the LX5 and maybe picking up an E-PL1 or 2 as a kayak camera. Light when kayaking is usually pretty good and it would sort of be an if I dunk it oh well kind of camera. But the RX100 has a lot of appeal to me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Yeah, the LX5 with extra batteries and memory cards was under $300. Makes for a very attractive and nearly expendable travel camera.
    February Photos
    March photos

Thanks
    Feedback Score

One thing to keep in mind is that you're unlikely to walk around sights in Indonesia empty handed anyway. First of all, since you're more than likely to be in shorts and t-shirt, there's not going to be much pocket space, and usually I have with me a very small day pack that includes passports, emergency cash in case my pockets are helpfully emptied, maybe small water bottle, nuts, a couple of cereal bars, a small bottle of sun cream (since it needs to be re-applied after a few hours out) and possibly lip balm. Also, other stuff for the missus I'm forgetting. I also split non-emergency cash so I don't have to pull out all the bills when I have to pay for small items.

Add an E-PL5 with 14-42 + 40-150 + 45mm f/1.8 and you've got pretty good picture taking power with very small weight. For 198 grams more, you can use an OM-D with 12-50mm.

Also, carrying your camera on your belt is like wearing socks in sandals.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    Haven't heard anyone who uses RX100 has the same feeling about their camera.
    I do. It's a jewel of a camera (admittedly, I tricked it out with some leather covering), I love carrying it around. The only reason I don't use it all the time is the lesser IQ, and (big factor) the lack of an OVF or EVF.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

[QUOTE=Edmunds;617691Also, carrying your camera on your belt is like wearing socks in sandals.[/QUOTE]

Crap...nobody ever told me this...

You should see my typical site work outfit...clipboard with building/siteplans, ipad, tape measure, camera, iphone, giant ring of keys (if working in a large building), pens and highlighters. Totally nerded out.
    Clint

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by doofclenas View Post

You should see my typical site work outfit...clipboard with building/siteplans, ipad, tape measure, camera, iphone, giant ring of keys (if working in a large building), pens and highlighters. Totally nerded out.
    It could be worse.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070003.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	45135

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by doofclenas View Post

I have already informed the fashion police of your location. Expect a knock on the door soon!
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II