Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone use a Sony RX100?

Gabriola Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: anyone use a Sony RX100?

I made sure that my fashion sense was appropriate as I sauntered into the camera store and casually offered up a request to fondle the first camera on my shortlist of desired cameras. Soon my trembling hands had molested an RX 100, an EPL 5, a GX 1 and the Canon S 110. The Sony and the Canon are so very tiny with a $320 price differential---gives one pause---just think of how one's sartorial sense could be augmented with the savings applied to image quality of a non-pixelated kind.

Regardless of fashion rules, procrastination ruled the day. I quaffed an iced latte at the Tim Horton's next to the camera store while wrestling with my choices. I paid little attention to the Sony's sirens calls and lashed my wallet to the Honda as I drove out ofthe parking lot.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Just an update: after driving almost two hours each way---including lunch stops---on two different days, and after scrutinizing numerous reviews, I bought the Sony for its convenience and small size. The smallest Oly Icould find was the epl5 which was too big for carrying as an everywhere camera. Certainly a candidate for when my e-system cameras pack it in but,given their longevity,...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well done, I love my RX100, it's a great camera and the IQ isn't bad at all.

Paul
    G5, GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25.
    RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Bought the Sony, tried it for nearly a week. In spite of many positive reviews, I was disappointed with the images. I tried it head to head with an old Panasonic ZS-1, both set on " intelligent auto" and the Panny was as good or better than the Sony. I really wanted to like this camera but returned it during the trial period.

Now waiting to get my hands on the Oly XZ-2 which currently offers a free wi-fi card. No stock anywhere nearby.

Bill

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Calais225 View Post
    Bought the Sony, tried it for nearly a week. In spite of many positive reviews, I was disappointed with the images. I tried it head to head with an old Panasonic ZS-1, both set on " intelligent auto" and the Panny was as good or better than the Sony. I really wanted to like this camera but returned it during the trial period.

Now waiting to get my hands on the Oly XZ-2 which currently offers a free wi-fi card. No stock anywhere nearby.

Bill
    It's a camera that needs to be used like an SLR to really appreciate just how good it is. I was on a hill walk last weekend in the snow and at Stonehaven Harbour today and used the RX 100 on both occasions, using A mode, the histogram to gauge exposure and shooting RAW and jpg.

I also used the GH3 with 12-35 today and was taking shot for shot with the RX 100 and GH3. both shooting RAW and jpg.

To say I'm impressed with the RX 100 is an understatement, the IQ (I mean ooc jpg's never mind the RAW) is superb. The colours are natural and well saturated, images sharp and detailed and the DR is impressive, very few blown high lights and this is the ooc jpgs!!!
    Form my brief comparisons today it stood up incredibly well against the GH3 12-35 combo.

To me it's a photographers camera, not just a point and shoot, it rewards effort with composition, focus point and exposure with simply excellent photos (just like any DSLR or ILC camera) that far exceed it's diminutive size.
    I'm smitten with mine.

Paul
    G5, GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25.
    RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Paul,
    your comments are certainly in line with all that I have read and also what I expected to see. I generally use aperture mode but was not happy with the lack of detail. I would like to try another RX 100 just in case I had a bad copy.

It was the camera I wanted and all reports say it is great.

I would hate to think it was operator error.

Bill