Thread: OT - Computer Issues with Google Chrome

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default OT - Computer Issues with Google Chrome

One of my ski buddies was nice enough earlier this week to create a Google Drive spreadsheet for everyone to log and post their trip flights and drive times etc for the annual trip. He sent us all the link and earler this week I logged on and entered my data uneventfully.

Later last week, I couldn't open the Drive spreadsheet link in the Outlook email I'd saved. I could open the spreadsheet from within the Google Drive webpage itself but every time I click the email link I got this message:

"The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" (Yes, that's me). That's when I found out that all my Outlook links were disabled.

I couldn't figure this one out. I had installed Java 7.11, Flash and VLC Player updates, but that was uneventful. It was driving me sort of crazy thinking what changed in my computer, since I had not changed any security setups, and everything else on the web worked fine (so did all my permissions and security settings.......I began to wonder if it an Outlook issue or a a IE security issue relating to P2P files like Drive? I' reset all my security settings in IE to default. I temporaily deactivated my Windows 7 firewall and Adaware and Webroot security. Still no luck. Everything else I've checked seems fine when browsing.
    I finally figured it out, but purely by luck after stumbling on a great online tech link. It was something that I NEVER in a million years expected to have happened.

The surprising backstory story is this: When I downloaded the latest Flash update, there appears to be no longer any way to the disable the automatic companion download of Google Chrome. I don't want Google Chrome on my machine, but, hey, no problem, I'll just remove it later, right? (Done this a couple of times before when I wasn't paying attention to a download) Today, I can't figure out how to disable it on the Flash update tickbox.

So, I downloaded the update(s), but then I did not actually activate Chrome. I simply went directly to Control Panel and hit "uninstall" on the Chrome program.

What I found out during all that research is that the latest version of Chrome now resets Win7 automatically as its default browser (merely upon sensing the download). When you uninstall Chromet, you have to reset all browser program preferences from scratch through the Start programs default program feature. This will, in some cases, start the process of trying to restore *a* default browser, which in my case, has always been IE9.

So far, so good. However, in a signficant number of instances, Google Chrome goes even further: it actually corrupts a Registry key so that you become *unable* to restore IE as the defaut browser for the purpose of clicking through on active links in Outlook emails.

Great. So now, I'm into addiitionally requiring some hotkey Registry repairs! I had visions of a permanently disabled Outlook email system unless I reinstalled Chrome as my default browser. That would not be good.

Fortunately, MS has recently released a Fixit program to do just that - fix the registry key(s) corrupted by doing a Chrome uninstall on your machine. Now, I have never had much luck with Fixit in the past, but sure enough, I downloaded the indicated Fixit program, ran it, then restarted Outlook. Viola! The Outlook links work again.

Moral of the stary: Be prepared for signficant issues if you try out, then uninstall, Chrome! Sometimes even the Fixit program doesn't work, and you have to run an actual third party registry repair program which has been created for this purpose.

This is completely unacceptable on the part of Google - they have brilliant enough programmers working there to make me believe this is deliberate on their part. Friggin ' Google; eviler and eviler.

The helpful link is here: Links Not Open in Office Outlook

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: OT - Computer Issues with Google Chrome

Good to know. Thank you for posting.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Google has a lot of tricks. I had that Google Chrome crap too. I am looking for a alternative to Google. Whenever you do a search, the search is hijacked by paying entities! BTW, "Postbox" is a great email program. Not free but worth the $10.00. Evidently it is not in bed with anybody.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've uninstalled chrome from systems before without this happening. It can be a case by case basis. There are many things I don't like about Google Chrome's default settings, but after tweaking to my liking, it is my favorite and fastest browser.

You may have better luck by setting your default browser back to IE9 from within IE9's settings, instead of the "default programs" control panel applet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    Whenever you do a search, the search is hijacked by paying entities!
    Every search engine puts sponsored links in the results. At least Google makes it obvious, and everyone knows not to click the first three links.
    -Mark
    E-PL2 | WCON-07 | 14mm F2.5 | 20mm F1.7 | Pentax 25mm F1.4 | 35mm F1.7 c-mount | FL-50 | MA1 | SEMA-1

OM-2n | 28mm F3.5 | 50mm F1.4 | 135mm F3.5 | Sigma 600mm F8 | T-20 | 2x Vivitar 2800

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Chrome was my favourite browser till I got serious about photography and discovered it wasn't colour managed. I use Firefox now. However, I understand they have recently adopted ICC support but thanks to Zippski warning us of its new insidiousness bordering on the illegal, I'll stick to Firefox although I still use Google as the search engine.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R